In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

1.Okay. The album they just wrote the don't actually like, they just wrote it for monetary gain. In reality, they rather make another Whoracle but they are so money hungry that they rather make music they aren't satisfied with. Playing those songs 500 times live that you don't like? No problem, money in the pocket.

Siren Charms = Business decision, time to rake in the fat dough guys

2.The new album, it sucks. Guitar driven songs? Nope, not on Siren Charms, can't hear a single guitar riff or melody, it's all just Anders trying to sing and failing miserably accompanied by boring drums and forgettable electronics. And where is Peter Iwers, is he fucking sleeping? I remember him when he actually wanted to play bass like his slick bass-part in Insipid 2000.

There's no chance people will actually like this pile of crap, even those who liked ASOP and SoAPF.

3.This album def will sell very few copies, just look at the Youtube comments on Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion for proof. Look at all the other songs on the album that has leaked on Youtube as well, the dislike ratio is 9/1 and all the comments are negative.

Every person who actually likes this garbage is under a spell or confused what real music sounds like.

IF are going to alienate their fans if they continue down this road. Watch them try to return to the old sound to win back their fans when they are noticing they are losing their fanbase.

Siren Charms 1/10 would not listen again. Anders ruined this band.

Yes go the opposite extreme and generalize instead of looking at my explanations of criticism.

1. Of course they like it AND they know it's the right move. I didn't say they don't like it. That's the problem, they changed their minds about the beautiful metal music they made and they literally look down on the fans who love it as if they're idiots. They've now done that for years. Thus, alienation of their original fans even though as a metal band they are the foundation of your following.

2. Now of course there's guitars in the songs... But they're not guitar-DRIVEN songs... driven by memorable, digestible and/or catchy riffs/melodies. These songs, are not. And sure, lump me in with all the idiots who make claims like that. "WAHH THEY SHOULD HAVE ZOMBIE INC SOLOS IN EVERY SONG WAHH" Because yes, that's what I sound like. People can appreciate a couple tracks but these are not songs that are a breath of fresh metal/hard rock play, more just a radio rock band that focuses on the words instead of the instruments as a whole.

3. A small percentage of Youtube viewers hit the like/dislike buttons on videos relative to the total views of videos. Look at that Lady Gaga song with 600million views, only 900,000 likes and 190,000 dislikes. They show a representation but at the same time most people don't even care to hit the buttons. And again with the generalizations, I didn't say ALL the comments are negative. But go look at the largely discussed comments(a lot of "thumbs up") that have hundreds of comments of discussion within them that have literally become their own thread basically... Adding up all of them there are thousands of random people saying how much they don't like what they're hearing and discussing their opinions. To be fair there are many people saying it's good, but most just simply going "THEY CANT MAKE THE SAME ALBUM TWICE" as if that's the only argument people who dislike the new stuff have. I didn't say there's anything wrong with liking this stuff I just said from observation, it looks like MOST people who normally would buy their albums won't this time.

They are alienating a LOT of their fans that have been with them for a long time (even the people who've been around less than 10yrs ago STYE and on...). Both by how they literally look down on the people who love their old stuff and by the uninspired musical direction they're taking. Now whether that's a conscious decision or not, it's still not good for them to allow this to happen. They're entertainers first and foremost, after all. Make what you want, but at least keep your following interested... somehow.

Now be sure to come back with sarcasm and instead of actually listening to detailed criticism, lump it all into one big pile of somehow unfathomable "hating". Make sure you associate ALL of my opinions as comparable to the one-sentenced-dismissals many people are doing online which I myself find unfair and nothing but retarded negativity without explaining oneself.

They are alienating a LOT of their fans that have been with them for a long time (even the people who've been around less than 10yrs ago STYE and on...). Both by how they literally look down on the people who love their old stuff and by the uninspired musical direction they're taking. Now whether that's a conscious decision or not, it's still not good for them to allow this to happen. They're entertainers first and foremost, after all. Make what you want, but at least keep your following interested... somehow.

Sure. People keeps on saying that they must do whatever they want without caring for the fans, but this is just the people who likes the new album. At the same time they say that they are nothing without the fans, wich is truth.

And still I don't know any other band that he likes but Depeche Mode. Sorry to insist but I really want to know. As for Bjorn, he is much into rock but said more than once that he likes the california death style.

You should check out 'According to...' by Razzia notes on spotify. Should give you a taste of what he listens to. As for his favorites - Nine inch nails, alice in chains and scorpions are up there. He also listened, and I bet he still do, to a lot of death metal bands such as atheist, death, napalm death and so on.

Bjorn's favorite bands are dio, dio, dio and dio.

So DE4life, the conclusion is that In Flames both sold out AND genuinly love what they are doing nowadays? (Well, at least Anders and Bjorn. The rest doesn't give a shit?)

Yes go the opposite extreme and generalize instead of looking at my explanations of criticism.

1. Of course they like it AND they know it's the right move. I didn't say they don't like it. That's the problem, they changed their minds about the beautiful metal music they made and they literally look down on the fans who love it as if they're idiots. They've now done that for years. Thus, alienation of their original fans even though as a metal band they are the foundation of your following.

2. Now of course there's guitars in the songs... But they're not guitar-DRIVEN songs... driven by memorable, digestible and/or catchy riffs/melodies. These songs, are not. And sure, lump me in with all the idiots who make claims like that. "WAHH THEY SHOULD HAVE ZOMBIE INC SOLOS IN EVERY SONG WAHH" Because yes, that's what I sound like. People can appreciate a couple tracks but these are not songs that are a breath of fresh metal/hard rock play, more just a radio rock band that focuses on the words instead of the instruments as a whole.

3. A small percentage of Youtube viewers hit the like/dislike buttons on videos relative to the total views of videos. Look at that Lady Gaga song with 600million views, only 900,000 likes and 190,000 dislikes. They show a representation but at the same time most people don't even care to hit the buttons. And again with the generalizations, I didn't say ALL the comments are negative. But go look at the largely discussed comments(a lot of "thumbs up") that have hundreds of comments of discussion within them that have literally become their own thread basically... Adding up all of them there are thousands of random people saying how much they don't like what they're hearing and discussing their opinions. To be fair there are many people saying it's good, but most just simply going "THEY CANT MAKE THE SAME ALBUM TWICE" as if that's the only argument people who dislike the new stuff have. I didn't say there's anything wrong with liking this stuff I just said from observation, it looks like MOST people who normally would buy their albums won't this time.

Now be sure to come back with sarcasm and instead of actually listening to detailed criticism, lump it all into one big pile of somehow unfathomable "hating". Make sure you associate ALL of my opinions as comparable to the one-sentenced-dismissals many people are doing online which I myself find unfair and nothing but retarded negativity without explaining oneself.
1. That's the problem, you take it personally somehow. They don't look down on anyone, if you think that, you are retarded. They've said it numerous times, they are perfectly fine with people who only like their old stuff, they are even happy if someone just likes 1 riff or 1 song. They are the same with some bands themselves, Björn only likes the first couple Metallica records for example. They write the music that the love, and if people don't like it, or even hate it, what should they do? Since it's music everything's subjective. Just because they don't make music that suits the old fans it doesn't equal looking down on them. If you think that, then it's your problem.

2. The music is still guitar driven. The vocals is just taking more place than usual at the same time. Memorable riffs? Subjective opinion. Catchy? Subjective opinion. While you think there are none, I hear plenty memorable guitar melodies and catchy riffs, catchy vocals. You really need to listen to the album more, you probably haven't heard most of the guitar melodies. When you write that IF is a radio rock band, then it's hard to take you serious. I have still not heard any band that sounds like In Flames.
And nowadays it's hard to make a breath of fresh metal unless you start a new genre. It's all been done already, all genres already exist.

3. Those people have done the exact same thing on the last couple of albums as well. You don't remember when Deliver Us was released? Look at In Flames facebook as well. It's called vocal minority. People feel a bigger need to shout out their disappointment than other people shouting out their enjoyment. Many people will not buy this album, many people will. Your speculations that lots of the newer fans hate the album too are based on Youtube comments. Like I said, we'll see. To your ears the album is completely different, I think it is because you haven't listened to it that much to be honest. I've listened to it a lot, and it clearly still is In Flames.

I still don't understand how you are trying to say that they are alienating people. That would be true if they said ''fuck you who only like our old albums''. They don't make music that you and many other people like anymore, well that's sad. What can we do about it? Nothing. Listen to something you like instead. I doubt even Justin Bieber doesn't make music that he actually doesn't really like. I rather bands be like Opeth and In Flames and write whatever music they want, and don't give a crap about what people are going to say. I mean sure, if it turns out that literally 95% of their fans hate their new album then yes, it's debatable that they must've done something very weird. There's bands that has abandoned genres 10 times worse than In Flames, even changing genres fully. Now I know you're going to say ''it's okay to change style as long as the music itself is good''. Again that's subjective.

I like all IF albums, the earlier ones are more raw and angry and the newer ones are more melodic. I like it all. They always mix aggression and melody. As much as I love the chorus of The Hive, I love the chorus in Paralyzed the same, although they sound very different. You might think it's uninspiring and boring and The Hive is the most inspiring and interesting song ever created, that's called opinions.

And if they wouldn't be entertaining, they wouldn't be playing bigger tours, getting the headline slots and selling out venues in places they didn't a couple years earlier. They are constantly growing.

It's like Anders said, when they released Whoracle people were whining because it didn't sound like Jester Race, and then the same thing when they released Colony. Maybe not to the same extent as when they released R2R, but it's always been the same story. Bands always make music for themselves first and foremost, other people outside the band always come second. I almost don't know any band at all that people don't consider their first couple albums their best. It's always like that. First couple albums from a new band are always the classics, there's no way to change that.

Also while I generalized and exaggerated, your post was in the same vein.

You should check out 'According to...' by Razzia notes on spotify. Should give you a taste of what he listens to. As for his favorites - Nine inch nails, alice in chains and scorpions are up there. He also listened, and I bet he still do, to a lot of death metal bands such as atheist, death, napalm death and so on.

Bjorn's favorite bands are dio, dio, dio and dio.
All of the members grew up listening to death metal in the early 90's as well. Björn listened to a lot of Florida DM. Peter I'm not really sure though, don't know if he really listened to DM so much. Anders favorite DM band was indeed Atheist. He also has listened to Black Metal. I know he's listened to Dark Funeral for a bunch of years at least. And he did guest-vocals on that Norwegian black metal band Grievance along with Jesper co-writing those songs.

Musical taste changes, people go and their influence vanishes... It's all normal. And if this is the way they want to go, they should end IF and start a new project.

Yeah, but then who would sign Anders new electro/alt/pop/rock/numetal band? How many records would that sell? How many people would go out all over the world to listen Anders moan and struggles with choruses and Bjorn raping that wah pedal without chance to hear OFTW, Cloud Connected or Take this life?

It is easier to milk existing (household) name and hopeful fanbase.

If Jesper was doing stuff he's doing with TR, under IF name - we would have Krofius writing how cool the songs are, "yeah riffs are simple, but they convey a feeling", "wow, that 3 second melody could be on TJR, that tremolo riff is sooo Whoracle like". As it is not IF, nobody on this forum cares for TR - even though it is much closer to the band most of you once started to listen, than SC is. Sure, they are kind of popular thanks to Jespers name, but that's it. No big record deal, no prime time on festivals, no US tours and pop awards.

So DE4life, the conclusion is that In Flames both sold out AND genuinly love what they are doing nowadays? (Well, at least Anders and Bjorn. The rest doesn't give a shit?)

I think In Flames are better businessmen than people give them credit for - as evidenced by the businesses they are involved with outside of the band. I'm not sure "selling out" is the right term, I just think Anders/Bjorn saw an opportunity to go a more commercial route and at the same time bring their preferred musical tastes to the forefront. So far you'd have to say they've done things in a pretty smart way - album sales have continued to increase. Whether SC is such a smart move, I don't know. Time will tell.

It's not like they played death metal last album and now all of a sudden are doing a progressive trance album lol. Why start a new band/project unless you're going to do something completely different from what you've ever done before?

Compare The Jester Race and Siren Charms, yes it sounds like two different bands. Compare it album by album chronologically, no it doesn't.

Also something funny with the album that I've seen some people whine on is that he's using the mumble-talk thing on this album quite a bit, which is kinda hypocritical since it was a big thing during all the old albums, Clayman prominently.

And TR sounds completely different than IF, it almost has no melodies and is just monotone screaming by Marco Aro (although I like his vocals some) so no, if the same songs was under the IF banner I wouldn't like them at all. There's plenty of IF songs I don't really listen to at all, new and old.

I don't like the music because it's In Flames, I like the music because I like the music, and In Flames almost always makes music that I like.

I don't like the music because it's In Flames, I like the music because I like the music, and In Flames almost always makes music that I like.

That's exactly how I feel about music. It's not that I like metal the most, it's just that the bands I really like do metal.

I like Paralyzed and Dead Eyes... I guess.

Paralyzed: OK riffs, good chorus. Still forgettable though. Stands out just a little bit vs. the other tracks

Dead Eyes being the only "complete" feeling song on the album. In my ears. I could hold a lighter and sing along as it's a ballad.

With Eyes Wide Open is a good ballad as well (even though every fucking song on the album feels like some form of a ballad)

In Plain View is just generic. A filler.

Siren Charms is another weak filler song.

Monsters in the Ballroom is generic, forgetful riffs and a boring chorus.

Songs are just too weak. Weak vocals that Anders could do so much better on Where Dead Ships Dwell, Move Through Me, Fear is the Weakness' chorus etc. etc.

Weak instruments, weak lyrics and weak feeling overall. Very forgettable, sad.

Hopefully the next album hits harder like SOAPF did.

Already said it a million times but seems like the songs and especially choruses needs to be listened to like 10 times to start feeling them. I didn't like the chorus of Monsters in the Ballroom at all until I started understanding it. At first I only really immediately liked In Plain View, Paralyzed & Filtered Truth choruses.

And lol you basically like almost half the album, quite contradicts what you said earlier. I think it will grow a bit more for you and you might up ending a few more tracks. And what you said about those soapf songs is exactly what I think about these songs as well. Where the dead ships dwell chorus is so damn catchy, so is fear is the weakness, and I get the same type of feeling when I hear the choruses in some of the new songs as well.

EDIT: Okay maybe not half but a third at least. And I think In Plain View seems like classic ''modern'' IF, that chorus really felt SoAPFy immediately and I don't see how you can't like the guitar melody in the chorus either.
Also am I the only one that really liked that he brought back the mumble-talk? Sounds almost exactly the same as 15 years ago.

In Plain View is the only song that would have sounded OK on SOAPF. The rest would only fit in on ASOP.

I'm really satisfied with this album, cause I'm not waiting MDM album like most of the forum :D It's pretty good, ballads are very good. I listened them hundreds of times now. On few songs Anders cleans are still weird but most of them is good. I guess this is the first IF album that I'm going to buy. :D

Have to go to sleep now so can't give several examples until tomorrow, but on In Plain View 2:50-2:55 he does it.

Yeah that's another example. There's at least 2 more times I think, going to check through the songs tomorrow.

I'm really satisfied with this album, cause I'm not waiting MDM album like most of the forum :D It's pretty good, ballads are very good. I listened them hundreds of times now. On few songs Anders cleans are still weird but most of them is good. I guess this is the first IF album that I'm going to buy. :D

Unfortunately for you this is bullshit. Nobody's expecting MDM, most of us just wanted an album on the same level as SOAPF, rather than a collection of tracks that sound like that album's B-sides.

It's quite funny really, the only arguments people seem to have in defence of this album is "you're not listening to it with an open mind" or "stop expecting them to play MDM" ... as if there's no way anybody could dislike this album otherwise :D

Unfortunately for you this is bullshit. Nobody's expecting MDM, most of us just wanted an album on the same level as SOAPF, rather than a collection of tracks that sound like that album's B-sides.

It's quite funny really, the only arguments people seem to have in defence of this album is "you're not listening to it with an open mind" or "stop expecting them to play MDM" ... as if there's no way anybody could dislike this album otherwise :D

This.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TheFappening/

^Some hackers got into celebrity iCloud's. Jennifer Lawrence, Kirsten Dunst nudes among other hoes

Lmfao I just had to share