In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

I listened to the album again (pulled it out my recycle bin).

Still an awful album, by any standard or comparison. This is a numetal record, and there are numetal bands that have nothing close to the history of In Flames that do this formula much, much better. Songs on this record go nowhere. The choruses are weak. The playing is awful. The riffs are bland.

It's ok because I gave up on the band many years ago. But defending the band on this one is inexcusable. It's a pile of garbage and we all know it.

Thank god At War With Reality is coming out soon. Redemption from Gothenburg. In fact, that should be the title.

^Better guitar riffs/melodies in the first 50 secs than anything on Siren Charms.

Harsh, but Dinosaur Jr is a really good band. I told you, it doesn't have to be metal to have tasty guitars. It doesn't even have to be technical, just well composed and texturous to the ears.

As for Whoracle, I just find it a bit boring because I feel like it's a poor Jester Race sequel or something. The Jester Race was just more well executed, better riffs, more interesting songs.

There are some GREAT tracks, ones that are In Flames best, but a lot of it is just, boring to me, like, it's too generic MDM. Maybe I've just grown out of the album. In all seriousness though, I even prefer Reroute to Whoracle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to the album again (pulled it out my recycle bin).

Still an awful album, by any standard or comparison. This is a numetal record, and there are numetal bands that have nothing close to the history of In Flames that do this formula much, much better. Songs on this record go nowhere. The choruses are weak. The playing is awful. The riffs are bland.

It's ok because I gave up on the band many years ago. But defending the band on this one is inexcusable. It's a pile of garbage and we all know it.

Thank god At War With Reality is coming out soon. Redemption from Gothenburg. In fact, that should be the title.

It really isn't. I'll say this again, this sounds nothing like Nu Metal. Nu metal was never this melodic and has no guitar harmonies. It's Alternative Metal.

This sounds nothing like Limp Biscuit, Linkin Park, Korn, Trapt, whatever.
Just because you don't like it doesn't give you the right to call it something it isn't because you think a genre like Nu Metal is shallow enough to describe your disappointment.

It really isn't. I'll say this again, this sounds nothing like Nu Metal. Nu metal was never this melodic and has no guitar harmonies. It's Alternative Metal.

This sounds nothing like Limp Biscuit, Linkin Park, Korn, Trapt, whatever.

I find LB, LP and Korn quite melodic. Especially if we take "guitar melodies are just moved to the vocals it's still like TJR" mantra.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a clone of mentioned bands, but has more in common with their music (less energy though) then with MDM.

I find LB, LP and Korn quite melodic. Especially if we take "guitar melodies are just moved to the vocals it's still like TJR" mantra.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a clone of mentioned bands, but has more in common with their music (less energy though) then with MDM.

I can say the same for so called melodic death metal bands these days
After the 90's the genre "evolved" from literal melodic, death metal, to cheesy power metal with growls. Yes, there is a huge, difference between the two.

In Flames still has the melodic and harmonic guitar work that came from MDM. Nu metal is mostly detuned power chords.

disheveled smorgasbord of tepid attempts

I don't even know what this means. :D

I can say the same for so called melodic death metal bands these days
After the 90's the genre "evolved" from literal melodic, death metal, to cheesy power metal with growls. Yes, there is a huge, difference between the two.

Truth be told, IF is the first "power metal with growls" MDM band. Hence why they were the most successful one. You get all the melody and WOW element, without the gay vocals, boring drums and weak ass riffing.

In Flames still has the melodic and harmonic guitar work that came from MDM. Nu metal is mostly detuned power chords.

Still has SOME melodic and harmonic guitar work, but chugging and numetalized power chords are common place in their songs. Along with general imagery and feeling that comes with Anders and his singing.

I really don't see the MDM component anymore. Few leads and riffs MAYBE, but then again you can find those in almost every other genre. If power metal band does a non-happy-I-killed-the-dragon-hurrah! twin guitar harmony, or black metal or doom bend play melodic tremolo riff, they aren't really MDM, are they?

Just a heads up: The Chase is up on Spotify.

CLICK

Looking forward to hear what you guys think about it.

UnholyCrusada i liked your review on metal archives lol, makes A88 seem like an in flames fanboy. Gave me a good laugh. I dont care for the fact that you dont like it, but you dont even seem to know the history of the band that well.

Here's a little something I came up with while giving the album another listen:

Songs that start with a melodic/heavy intro followed by a slower/quieter verse and Anders singing: 9 out of 11
Exclusions: Through Oblivion, Filtered Truth

Songs that have a wah-wah wanky solo/instrumental part roughly 3/4 into the track: 9 out of 11
Exclusions: Through Oblivion, With Eyes Wide Open (appears half way through the song instead)

Songs with a sing-along pop chorus: 9 out of 11
Exclusions: Everything's Gone, When The World Explodes

Songs that end with the chorus: 11 out of 11
Exclusions: None

That's right, EVERY SONG ON SIREN CHARMS ENDS WITH THE CHORUS.

And people want to try and argue In Flames are still creative? I'm actually a little shocked by these results myself - this album is formula song-writing from beginning to end. The lack of originality is absolutely appalling. These are almost all pop-structure from start to finish.

Basically, the song that deviates most from the norm on Siren Charms is Through Oblivion :D

Here's a little something I came up with while giving the album another listen:

Songs that start with a melodic/heavy intro followed by a slower/quieter verse and Anders singing: 9 out of 11
Exclusions: Through Oblivion, Filtered Truth

Songs that have a wah-wah wanky solo/instrumental part roughly 3/4 into the track: 9 out of 11
Exclusions: Through Oblivion, With Eyes Wide Open (appears half way through the song instead)

Songs with a sing-along pop chorus: 9 out of 11
Exclusions: Everything's Gone, When The World Explodes

Songs that end with the chorus: 11 out of 11
Exclusions: None

That's right, EVERY SONG ON SIREN CHARMS ENDS WITH THE CHORUS.

And people want to try and argue In Flames are still creative? I'm actually a little shocked by these results myself - this album is formula song-writing from beginning to end. The lack of originality is absolutely appalling. These are almost all pop-structure from start to finish.

Basically, the song that deviates most from the norm on Siren Charms is Through Oblivion :D

Guitar solos from RN and Become the sky have the same structure.

I only included the normal album tracks in my analysis, however, Become the Sky unsurprisingly meets every one of the four criteria.

You can basically fit every song on Siren Charms (two excluded) into the template of:

Melodic/Heavy Intro - Slow/Quiet Verse with singing - Singalong Chorus - Solo/Instrumental - Slow/Quiet Verse with singing - Singalong Chorus repeated until end, sometimes a few riffs in the last five-to-ten seconds.

Guitar solos from RN and Become the sky have the same structure.

Actually most of them are have same structure. Stars slow then melodic part. Solo speeds up and ends with tapping. Deliver Us, RN, Become the Sky are examples for it.

And how are we supposed to listen The Chase?