In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

It's not that the structures MIGHT be the same, they ARE the same :D

There is nothing outstanding or diverse about the majority of riffs on SC, if we're being honest. Really listen to the music behind Anders' vocals - it's so plain. It would not have taken much effort to put those verses together at all.

This is wat you have if you quit (almost) all Anders vocals from dead eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elH2p1MS8ro&feature=youtu.be

I really don't see too much effort in the music.

Nice edit. Cool to hear the backing vocals with a differenting vocal melody.

Its usually hardest to apreciate backing vocals than music. This time was easy since they were on the stereo channels, the same as the music.

It's just flat-out horrendous.

SOAPF:

Where Dead Ships Dwell
Fear is the Weakness
All For Me
A New Dawn
Liberation (great solo btw)
Enter Tragedy
Ropes

^All of SOAPF's songs in general are distinguishable from one another and are actually memorable.

SC just sounds the fucking same all the way through. A bunch of whiny ballad songs even if theyre not the full-on technical definition of a ballad. Nothing memorable, nothing that sticks in your brain.

I compare SC's inability to be memorable, to the majority of songs on ASOP. I don't remember any song titles from that besides Chosen Pessimist, Alias, Move Through Me, Mirror's Truth and Delight and Angers. Have no idea what the rest are off the top of my head.

In Flames could go the pure radio-rock route (i.e. All That Remains - "What If I was Nothing") and it would still sound pretty good I think. With more masculine clean singing and that heavy rock-ish aggressive kind of screams in the choruses like formerly great metal bands are doing now as they're selling out... wouldn't sound as bad.

But this is stuff is just garbage, unfortunately.
I say this because I'm sad and frustrated by it.

Chicks that I chill with like this shit after having heard it in my car. And these are American girls who are all into that "scene"core bullshit we have over here which is fake generic attempts at metalcore but with just powerchords and breakdowns followed by pre-pubescent singing from 25 year old dudes that sound like 8 year old boys in the choruses.

I like the album. Its very different and reminds me of Passenger Pt.2 I mean Anders and Nic both did that album too so Im not surprised that was the sound they were leaning towards. I didnt think with Nic coming in it was going to suddenly become Whoracle 2. Gardenian is dead and this In flames now. Im happy with it and they will continue to be my favorite band since Colony. Ahh its 97 all over again every time a new In Flames album comes out for me lol.

I like the album. Its very different and reminds me of Passenger Pt.2 I mean Anders and Nic both did that album too so Im not surprised that was the sound they were leaning towards. I didnt think with Nic coming in it was going to suddenly become Whoracle 2. Gardenian is dead and this In flames now. Im happy with it and they will continue to be my favorite band since Colony. Ahh its 97 all over again every time a new In Flames album comes out for me lol.

Actually Niclas didn't write anything for this album.

If you put in the effort to force yourself to differentiate between them(which shouldn't be a chore in the first place), then yeah you'll hear that they are different

I didn't need to force myself to whatever you want to realize that Through Oblivion is so fucking different than Everything's Gone. Furthermore, these two songs are totally different than Filtered Truth. And these three songs don't sound like When the World Explodes at all.

That was the truth, that you just read. What you plan to answer then is just plain bullshit and you know it. Peace.

Well it's hard for Daniel to write songs unless he can play another instrument other than the drums decently.

Drummers can write songs. Look at Lars from Metallica. He's credited on almost all their songs. You don't need to write riffs or lyrics to help write a song.

If you put in the effort to force yourself to differentiate between them(which shouldn't be a chore in the first place), then yeah you'll hear that they are different

I didn't have to put in any effort to tell the songs apart on the first listen. Pretty easy. Yes, SOAPF songs might sound even more different from each other, but these songs still sound different even if they use the same song structure.

It's not that the structures MIGHT be the same, they ARE the same :D

Yes, the song structures on this album for almost every song are exactly the same. Same with ASOP, which most of us think is pretty bad. But did we forget that Reroute also uses the same formula for almost every song as well? We all pretty much seem to like that album a good amount. Yes, it may be a little lazy and disappointing when musicians just use the same formula for every song on an album, but that doesn't automatically make it a shit album. And it also doesn't mean all the songs sound alike; structure has nothing to do with literal sound.

I'm with Jester313 (though I'm fine with ASOP), it doesn't mean anything that the structure matches. Unless you are listening to some powermetal or progressive rock, the formula is pretty much the same everywhere, even with old classics. As for old IF, they had tons of repeating patterns as well. Hell, their best songs from that era are built on the same pattern where the song leads up to the best solos ever and then it ends with the chorus or verse-chorus. Kinda stupid to rate songs this way, and PlainVanilla gave a nice example to present how meaningless this pattern is. Through Oblivion is something entirely different than Everything's gone, even if they are built on the same structure.

I'm happy the album is receiving positive reviews from many fans; in the case of R2R and ASOP I could (or could've, haven't been around for R2R) understand the initial 9-1 hate/like ratio, but when I read comments here like "this is not an In Flames album/this is not In Flames anymore" I can't find enough hands to facepalm with. If their later albums were IF, than this is 100% IF as well. While this album (as all IF albums) does not want to repeat the previous ones, it has that undeniable IF sound. Some songs could've been even put onto STYE or CC if it wasn't for the production. Just give the clean production of STYE or the very characteristic guitar settings of CC to In Plain View and it fits perfectly. Through Oblivion is the Come Clarity of SC, and When The World Explodes is like the songs I have been skipping since STYE with the added female vocale. I find those songs godawfully boring but others claim it to be their better songs, so to each of their own.

I like how Anders and co. managed to produce the softest IF album without breaking the big picture of In Flames. Most of the songs still "rock", you won't hold torches to the air during Everything's Gone, Paralyzed, Siren Chams, In Plain View, Filtered Truth. etc., some of these are just more delicate. I'm not afraid at all from the live experience in this september, because they have enough screaming-madness songs in their catalog, and Anders said that while he deliberately avoided screaming on this album, he will definetly do it live; it just did not fit the album's concept.

As for Anders' singing, I definetly feel the vibe and I don't have the feeling of "blahblah it's a sad chorus for you listener, but I really don't give a crap". Anders has a nice talent to make shit sound desperate if he puts himself to it. I don't agree with the album being too experimental though. For me, their albums since CC have not been so brave, and SC is no exception. Different? Sure, but I don't see any Leeches on this album.

The title seems really fitting the sounding of the album. Both siren and charm are related to soft things and affection. I'm not sure who else has ever been interested in Anders' (and back then maybe Jesper's too, though doubt it) vision about the concept and meaning of each albums since Whoracle. Not sure about TJR, but Whoracle seems to be the first one with a set concept behind it. It's funny, because I never really checked the lyrics from start to finish on each album, and it was only yesterday, reading the lyrics of Take This Life when I had to realize that's actually a love song, lol. I should definetly do that in the upcoming days.

But it means structurally they sound alike (you admit this), which gets boring very fast. The formula is the same> Numetal jump up'n down riff, verse and then chorus/hook.

"we shifted the melody from the guitars to the vocals" - anders friden.

So awful.