In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

I see, so we need 6 years to not to be pretentious about TO. "Classic heavy ballad" - I bet that was everyone's first reaction to CC when it came out :D

I don't know what was the reaction from the rest of the world. But it was my first feeling and still is (you know, I grew up listening to heavy metal, much Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Helloween, etc). And TO still sounds like pop. If you came to listen to swedish pop band Kent, there it is Anders influences for the chorus and post chorus.

CC chorus has fairly heavy riffs, song has a very nice solo in the usual place. No such elements in Through Oblivion. The closest comparison is Liberation or TCP.

A88 as I've said before, I don't know what kind of twisted rating system you are using, but I don't understand in any way how you can call 68/100 which is basically 7/10 a negative review. A negative review would be anything from 1 to 4 or 5.

"Well-written..." :D

Oh, as this is out general purpose thread I just need to share the awesomeness of Insomnium + Stanne.

Damn, that crowd ain't moving. They're waiting for catchy emo chorus to come along...

That would be really awesome if they played this on their upcoming tour together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp, I guess Anders "all my songs are my children, I can't choose" mentality made The Chase into a bonus track when it's among the better songs on SC and pretty much the most adventorous. In an alternate reality it could've been the lead single as well, haha. Damn you Anders!

Considering the most popular songs of the last 6 months are Come Clarity and Deliver Us it's hardly a barometer of quality, is it?

A88 as I've said before, I don't know what kind of twisted rating system you are using, but I don't understand in any way how you can call 68/100 which is basically 7/10 a negative review. A negative review would be anything from 1 to 4 or 5.

Well, you should listen the guy, and then you will see why did I write "negative review".

As for rating system, anything below 7 is mediocre dude, or if we are talking college grades - just enough to pass. I really don't understand people who could give this album 3/10 or 1/10. It is not the worst thing ever recorded.

So, when a dude says the album is dull, has no replay value, lazy (pretty much everybody noticed this one), doesn't hold attention, songs seem incredibly long even though they last about 4 minutes, I don't know in what parallel universe is that not a negative review.

Well, you should listen the guy, and then you will see why did I write "negative review".

As for rating system, anything below 7 is mediocre dude, or if we are talking college grades - just enough to pass. I really don't understand people who could give this album 3/10 or 1/10. It is not the worst thing ever recorded.

So, when a dude says the album is dull, has no replay value, lazy (pretty much everybody noticed this one), doesn't hold attention, songs seem incredibly long even though they last about 4 minutes, I don't know in what parallel universe is that not a negative review.

If anything the reviewer himself gave too high marks. Should have been 55 or 60 based on his thoughts.

If anything the reviewer himself gave too high marks. Should have been 55 or 60 based on his thoughts.

stamp_of_approval_2.jpg

-

Where the hell are the Instrumentals...? I can't rip my LP.

untitled_1_by_nutricula999-d6ii65r.gif

sad-cat.jpeg

Maybe. I don't really follow his work all the time, so I don't know how his system works.

Doesn't matter. He is saying what we were saying, and what most reviews are saying - catchy but hollow and lazy.

Considering the most popular songs of the last 6 months are Come Clarity and Deliver Us it's hardly a barometer of quality, is it?

They wanted to be more popular so they changed the genre of their music. So it looks like it worked well. Right?

They wanted to be more popular so they changed the genre of their music. So it looks like it worked well. Right?

But there are a lot of bands that are far more popular than they are and they needn't to change their style (I mean, being less metal) to me more popular. Look at Slipknot (yes, I know, it's the example I usually use, but in terms of modern metal and popularity I think it's the best example I can come with), doing a mix of agressive music with some melodic hits and they've sold more than 20 millions over the world. In the meanwhile, IF goes more (sold out) melodic trying to surpass the 500 thousand copies, that's what they use to sell.

What's my point? You don't need to be softer to reach more people.

Corey Taylor is one of the most talented singers period, and if you think In Flames got off well from R2R then there are no words to describe how well-timed Slipknot's arrival to the nu-metal/rap-metal scene was. They were much heavier than the likes of LB, LP, Korn, PR, but it appealed to every angry teen in the world while being catchy enough (Wait and bleed, Before I forget, My Plague) to reach to other audiences as well. Then they released All Hope Is Gone, their gay ass album, which is listenable, and very easy to forget and now, based on the 2 promo songs from their newest album, it seems like they are making Iowa part 2. Which is great, Slipknot is pretty much the only popular band that kept their sound.
If they were to go with the style presented on Mate Feed Kill Repeat, no one would talk about Slipknot. Hell, imagine if they had released it to wider audiences. Man, they would get so much shit from 10-20 angry guys who stucked in the past for selling out, haha. I'M pretty sure the concept of this happening is familiar to everyone on this board.

But in case it wasn't clear, I agree with you that Slipknot more or less remained the same. But then there is Linkin Park who can't fucking sound the same on two consecutive albums (HT-Meteora being the only exceptions) and they are still popular as ever. I mean, it's hard to imagine that the same guys who made A Thousand Suns made The Hunting Party as well. They are fucking all over the place and make whatever they like. And do you know why they can do it?

For the same reason what Anders said: they've already reached far more they ever hoped so, they don't have to appeal to anyone anymore. Oooh, do people dig soft melodies now? Or shall I rap? Is MDM mainstream now to make TJR part 2? None of these questions have to come up in the guys head and I really envy them to be so free. If I had a band with 5000 followers I might be way too pussy to try new things, because if any of them thinks my new material is shit, I'm done, back to work. Then again, with that mentality I'd be playing for those 5000 guys until the end of my career.

It's pretty clear Anders and co. wanted to make THIS album now. Before SC, if anyone had asked you which is IF's softest album, there would've been debates. With the release of SC I don't think it's debateable, this album is not angry, and I personally love the change. When I first heard ASOP and SOAPF I hated both, it took me a long time to appeciate ASOP for what it is, and I still did not wrap my head around SOAPF. SC hooked me in after In Plain View immidietly, and it's no just the "softness" (the song is among the heavier ones anyway), I digged CC and STYE as well for the first listen, and CC is - in some areas - much heavier than the earlier releases, so yeah.

I like Thornography from Cradle Of Filth for example. I like their other records as well and I'm not even saying it's my favourite, but it's awesome that they have such an album in their discography that breaks the ice - in CoF standards. You know shit is serious when Dani actually SINGS. Then they went on releasing Godspeed... to rip your head and ears off once again.

Oh well, with the US release soon we will get proper reviews so I'm excited!

I can't stand Slipknot's first two albums except for 2 songs (Wait and Bleed and Left Behind). I do like most of Vol. 3 and All Hope is Gone though. I think they went away from the strictly nu-metal sound and drifted into something more mature and structured in my opinion. I don't think the two new songs sound like they are from Iowa but then again I only listened to that album maybe twice because I really didn't like it.

I can't stand Slipknot's first two albums except for 3 songs (Wait and Bleed, Left Behind, and Duality). I do like most of Vol. 3 and All Hope is Gone though. I think they went away from the strictly nu-metal sound and drifted into something more mature and structured in my opinion.

Agreed. I never thought I'd like Slipknot, but their 2 last albums are pretty great. I love the last album. Anyone who says they're not good and likes metal is an elitist shithead.

Paralyzed, Become the Sky, The Chase have all grown substantially on me. Enjoying listening to these tracks.

Corey Taylor is one of the most talented singers period, and if you think In Flames got off well from R2R then there are no words to describe how well-timed Slipknot's arrival to the nu-metal/rap-metal scene was. They were much heavier than the likes of LB, LP, Korn, PR, but it appealed to every angry teen in the world while being catchy enough (Wait and bleed, Before I forget, My Plague) to reach to other audiences as well. Then they released All Hope Is Gone, their gay ass album, which is listenable, and very easy to forget and now, based on the 2 promo songs from their newest album, it seems like they are making Iowa part 2. Which is great, Slipknot is pretty much the only popular band that kept their sound.
If they were to go with the style presented on Mate Feed Kill Repeat, no one would talk about Slipknot. Hell, imagine if they had released it to wider audiences. Man, they would get so much shit from 10-20 angry guys who stucked in the past for selling out, haha. I'M pretty sure the concept of this happening is familiar to everyone on this board.

But in case it wasn't clear, I agree with you that Slipknot more or less remained the same. But then there is Linkin Park who can't fucking sound the same on two consecutive albums (HT-Meteora being the only exceptions) and they are still popular as ever. I mean, it's hard to imagine that the same guys who made A Thousand Suns made The Hunting Party as well. They are fucking all over the place and make whatever they like. And do you know why they can do it?

For the same reason what Anders said: they've already reached far more they ever hoped so, they don't have to appeal to anyone anymore. Oooh, do people dig soft melodies now? Or shall I rap? Is MDM mainstream now to make TJR part 2? None of these questions have to come up in the guys head and I really envy them to be so free. If I had a band with 5000 followers I might be way too pussy to try new things, because if any of them thinks my new material is shit, I'm done, back to work. Then again, with that mentality I'd be playing for those 5000 guys until the end of my career.

It's pretty clear Anders and co. wanted to make THIS album now. Before SC, if anyone had asked you which is IF's softest album, there would've been debates. With the release of SC I don't think it's debateable, this album is not angry, and I personally love the change. When I first heard ASOP and SOAPF I hated both, it took me a long time to appeciate ASOP for what it is, and I still did not wrap my head around SOAPF. SC hooked me in after In Plain View immidietly, and it's no just the "softness" (the song is among the heavier ones anyway), I digged CC and STYE as well for the first listen, and CC is - in some areas - much heavier than the earlier releases, so yeah.

I like Thornography from Cradle Of Filth for example. I like their other records as well and I'm not even saying it's my favourite, but it's awesome that they have such an album in their discography that breaks the ice - in CoF standards. You know shit is serious when Dani actually SINGS. Then they went on releasing Godspeed... to rip your head and ears off once again.

Oh well, with the US release soon we will get proper reviews so I'm excited!

I don0t see how All Hope is Gone can be considered gay, unless you're only considering the softer singles and not listening to the rest of the albums. And I'm not talking about remainig the same, O'm talking about being agressive and still sell a lot of albums.

As for the rest of the bands, I've never seen LP or LB as metal bands, more like alt rock bands with label metal artificially created by the record companies and the MTV just trying to sell to regular listeners and to metalheads.

I can't stand Slipknot's first two albums except for 2 songs (Wait and Bleed and Left Behind). I do like most of Vol. 3 and All Hope is Gone though. I think they went away from the strictly nu-metal sound and drifted into something more mature and structured in my opinion. I don't think the two new songs sound like they are from Iowa but then again I only listened to that album maybe twice because I really didn't like it.

Well, last album has many trash and death metal influences that has little in common with the first album. I still see Iowa as their first step to a more (agressive) metal sound, leaving apart whatever of new metal they cold've been with their first. But still my point, agressive music selling a lot, while IF makes an effort going softer to reach a bigger audience.