In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

When does IF rap or incorporate other elements of hip-hop in their music? This is just an alternative metal album.

I'm just talking about the F***ng song dude. But you know what? I apologize. This song is obviously californian death metal, so I will forget about Korn influence into Anders lines, and I will forget about the downtuned guitars at the end section of the chorus, and I will forget about Korn and Slipknot being labeled as Nu Metal, because they're obviously not.

Holy shit The Chase is great.

The production from what I heard isn't the best. But I think it's the perfect blend of melodic vocals, non-whiny/crying cleans, hard screams and great catchy chorus with a sick melody to it. I really dig the chorus: "RIGHT WHERE I BELONG... A LIFE THAT WAS MEANT TO BE" Those lines in the chorus really hook well and sound awesome to my ears, really can get into it.

Really fucking good song. The Chase is how I feel In Flames in 2014 should sound like. Too bad the rest of the album is shit.

I'm starting to agree with you. Not the best IF song they could release but far better than the rest of the album.

F**ing God, now I know that you're really jocking.

Edit: are you really 22 or just trying to look mature?
That's a reply to someone else, I did not joke in my reply to you.

I can prove it, here:
Suburban Me (it is a song from Clayman, I swear): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqyypB4YNHA

Only For The Weak (3rd most played song ever, and the song that caught my attention and most of the people I know had the same experience, whether they usually listen to metal or disco. It is also on Clayman, I'm not lying) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqyypB4YNHA

Swim (is this song from STYE/R2R?? Almost, though credits where its' due, musically it's more like old IF, but the screaming vocals which will dominate the next records had appeared. This is on Clayman too by the way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5K6A_PGdyQ

Satellites And Astronatus (Evil In A Closet demo tape, continue on Square Nothing)

Brush The Dust Away (That fucking solo [which rocks] saves it from being called an R2R demo song from start to finish, but those vocals and especially the clean (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) mumbling vox is totally what will be returning a lot on the new IF.)

Square Nothing (You remember that song on TJR/Whoracle/Colony where half of the song was a slow accoustic piece with Anders doing delicate vocals on top of it? Me neither, but this is already the second song like this on Clayman, and they gladly re-used this style on later records, obviously more perfected and much more streamlined. I love the fact that Pallar Anders Visa on Colony was basically putting one toe into the cold water, than came Clayman putting both feets in and with R2R they swam deep into it. Difference is, on Colony you could defend the song being a 1,5min acoustic jam, but on Clayman it's pretty hard to explain why Anders doing weird ass vocals compared to their earlier materials and why these songs last 4-5 mins)

So, you see, the only "real" new IF songs from start to finish might be OFTW and Suburban Me, but the vocals are training grounds for the future on almost every song. It's like a collection of earlier songs which had something strange going for them (Jotun had the mumbling for example in 1997). And thank god they did not continue the Coerced Coexistence--->Clayman (song) route in terms of choruses and singing style. Really annoyes me and feels out of place, not to mention it has to suck live.

Clayman is just as old IF as it is the new, but no one bothers with thinking it over, because R2R was like the biggest wtf moment ever, where they not only put +10 to every weird shit they collected on Clayman they had to layer it to death, so it could became such a controversial record. They even made a decent artwork to differentiate it from Clayman, which was made by a guy who just read the tutorial for photoshop and a child who was told to draw something that resembles fire and he was told "close enough son, but it will do".
My biggest pet peeve is how much is going on on that artwork (presented "in-your-face" style), without having any artistic value. Yes, flames, jesterhead and that sign, wow, DEEP. Not sure why they stopped there, they could include the all seeing eye, a pentagram and the CIA logo.
Look at Whoracle. I love the concept, both the artwork and both how they came up with the word. If you put your mind to it, you can envision a cool story.
I'm just talking about the F***ng song dude. But you know what? I apologize. This song is obviously californian death metal, so I will forget about Korn influence into Anders lines, and I will forget about the downtuned guitars at the end section of the chorus, and I will forget about Korn and Slipknot being labeled as Nu Metal, because they're obviously not.
Korn was nu metal as fuck, while Slipknot was nu metal as well on their debut album. Sure, you can throw a lot more genre at Slipknot, but nu metal is definetly one of them.

Korn was nu metal as fuck, while Slipknot was nu metal as well on their debut album. Sure, you can throw a lot more genre at Slipknot, but nu metal is definetly one of them.

I am talking about the lack of Rap and Hip Hop elements in Slipknot.

Holy shit The Chase is great.

The production from what I heard isn't the best. But I think it's the perfect blend of melodic vocals, non-whiny/crying cleans, hard screams and great catchy chorus with a sick melody to it. I really dig the chorus: "RIGHT WHERE I BELONG... A LIFE THAT WAS MEANT TO BE" Those lines in the chorus really hook well and sound awesome to my ears, really can get into it.

Really fucking good song. The Chase is how I feel In Flames in 2014 should sound like. Too bad the rest of the album is shit.

Chorus is great. The song should have been placed in between TO and WEWO just to give the album a bit more balance

I am talking about the lack of Rap and Hip Hop elements in Slipknot.
You know Slipknot has a dj and a guy to make weird noises, right?

Spit It Out is the epitome of rap/hip-hup/metal = nu metal. Wait And Bleed is a generic nu metal song. A quality one if you ask me, but it's nu metal nonetheless. People = Shit has a rap part too and if I had my Slipknot discography downloaded I could probably give you more examples.

You see, the mix of elements in 2000s nu metal scene varied a lot. Limp Bizkit was heavily on the rap an hiphop side while Slipknot was heavily on the metal side. Korn tried to be on the middle, but LP did it best, having two vocalists, one with a hip-hop/rap background and one with a rock/metal background. They were the only one (well, Crazy Town was similiar I guess) who sounded genuine mixing the sounds. Korn had a unique sound and singer so no one really cared when Jonathan went apeshit on his tracks, Durst sounds silly on heavier LB tracks (he himself said he considers himself a rapper/hop-hop artist) and Slipknot did rapping in their own style so it did not felt forced, and Spit It Out is their only track which uses rapping as the core of the song instead of adding colour to it.

And that's just the rap elements, hip-hop is on almost every damn Slipknot song, they use it as a breakdown tool as well, much like in [insert generic Limp Bizkit song here]. Anyway, as I said, we are talking about a band with a dedicated DJ so it's hard to argue with the hip-hop elements.

So you were jocking when talking about PF?

Please, don't go to wikipedia and search for The Wall.
I tried to be as obnoxiously wrong about The Wall as I could, so it would be obvious to people I am not being serious. The main message of that post was that legends like PF used drawn elements long before he likes of Eminem or Linkin Park did, so the fact that IF now have one MV like that too doesn't put them into any music category.

You know Slipknot has a dj and a guy to make weird noises, right?

Spit It Out is the epitome of rap/hip-hup/metal = nu metal. Wait And Bleed is a generic nu metal song. A quality one if you ask me, but it's nu metal nonetheless. People = Shit has a rap part too and if I had my Slipknot discography downloaded I could probably give you more examples.

You see, the mix of elements in 2000s nu metal scene varied a lot. Limp Bizkit was heavily on the rap an hiphop side while Slipknot was heavily on the metal side. Korn tried to be on the middle, but LP did it best, having two vocalists, one with a hip-hop/rap background and one with a rock/metal background. They were the only one (well, Crazy Town was similiar I guess) who sounded genuine mixing the sounds. Korn had a unique sound and singer so no one really cared when Jonathan went apeshit on his tracks, Durst sounds silly on heavier LB tracks (he himself said he considers himself a rapper/hop-hop artist) and Slipknot did rapping in their own style so it did not felt forced, and Spit It Out is their only track which uses rapping as the core of the song instead of adding colour to it.

And that's just the rap elements, hip-hop is on almost every damn Slipknot song, they use it as a breakdown tool as well, much like in [insert generic Limp Bizkit song here]. Anyway, as I said, we are talking about a band with a dedicated DJ so it's hard to argue with the hip-hop elements.

You know DJ's do more than hip hop right?

I tried to be as obnoxiously wrong about The Wall as I could, so it would be obvious to people I am not being serious. The main message of that post was that legends like PF used drawn elements long before he likes of Eminem or Linkin Park did, so the fact that IF now have one MV like that too doesn't put them into any music category.

Yes, sorry, I just didn's understand.

But still, my argument. EIG it's IF doing something that resembles Korn, and has a lot of Nu Metal on it, though not Rap nor Hip Hop.

You know DJ's do more than hip hop right?

Yes, sorry, I just didn's understand.

But still, my argument. EIG it's IF doing something that resembles Korn, and has a lot of Nu Metal on it, though not Rap nor Hip Hop.
I know, they scratch disks on every goddamn Slipknot and LB record :D

Okay, maybe I'm missing your sarcasm this time: are you for real when you say slipknot - a pioneer band for nu metal - is not nu metal? To be honest I wasn't following the discussion where you gave that reply so you might've been joking.

As for EIG, it's nothing new IF having NM elements (though I don't think EIG is one of those songs, no one really plays nu metal anymore anyway) and people comparing him to JD.

Edit: *was not new metal. Obviously no one lives off relesing nu metal material anymore. Did not listen to the new LB though, but Gold Cobra was already disastrous and I have no idea why don't Fred and co. just keep touring instead of pretending to be 15 years younger. Money is from the shows anyway in today's music unless you are a pop artist.

Which deluxe edition has The Chase btw? I haven't seen it on torrent sites and seeing how some people are still struggling to find it, it makes me wonder if it's on an asian edition or something like that.

Slipknot was nu-metal when they started, and I'm guessing Korn still is. Slipknot went away from that for the most part. I wouldn't call them nu-metal anymore. So when have you ever heard Anders rap any of his lyrics? Yes, sometimes his voice might sound like Korn? But that doesn't make IF nu-metal at any point. I don't even know what this argument is about anymore.

I know, they scratch disks on every goddamn Slipknot and LB record :D

Okay, maybe I'm missing your sarcasm this time: are you for real when you say slipknot - a pioneer band for nu metal - is not nu metal? To be honest I wasn't following the discussion where you gave that reply so you might've been joking.

As for EIG, it's nothing new IF having NM elements (though I don't think EIG is one of those songs, no one really plays nu metal anymore anyway) and people comparing him to JD.

Edit: *was not new metal. Obviously no one lives off relesing nu metal material anymore. Did not listen to the new LB though, but Gold Cobra was already disastrous and I have no idea why don't Fred and co. just keep touring instead of pretending to be 15 years younger. Money is from the shows anyway in today's music unless you are a pop artist.

Well, I really can't understand how bans as different as Slipknot, Korn, LB or LP can be labelled under the same genre, but yeah, I was being sarcastic.

Slipknot was nu-metal when they started, and I'm guessing Korn still is. Slipknot went away from that for the most part. I wouldn't call them nu-metal anymore. So when have you ever heard Anders rap any of his lyrics? Yes, sometimes his voice might sound like Korn? But that doesn't make IF nu-metal at any point. I don't even know what this argument is about anymore.

So, what you're saying is that nu metal is all about rap? Well, keep your opinion and I'll keep mine.

But, you know, I'm not the only one who's thinking this way, be it lovers or haters.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/In_Flames/Siren_Charms/409154/Turner/216

Edit: And, what is even worse, two out of four reviews are comparing the song not with Korn or Slipknot but with Marilyn Manson.

So, what you're saying is that nu metal is all about rap? Well, keep your opinion and I'll keep mine.

But, you know, I'm not the only one who's thinking this way, be it lovers or haters.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/In_Flames/Siren_Charms/409154/Turner/216

Edit: And, what is even worse, two out of four reviews are comparing the song not with Korn or Slipknot but with Marilyn Manson.

No, I'm not saying it's all about rap. If it was all about rap it would be just rap. But a lot of nu-metal was having a heavy rap influence, mainly the vocals.

You know, there are IF songs which are not far from the nu metal genre, but I doubt you could find many which matches all the requirements. Everyone who's struggling to decide whether IF was nu metal at some point just listen to Passenger and ask himself this: "Is there a record that sounds like Passenger in almost every way?"

I dunno man, I growed up in nu metal, so maybe it's just me, but nu metal has something unique in it that distincts itself from other genres. Just listen to Slipknot (album) then Vol 3. Both are great albums they did not change their sound drasticly, no1 complained when it was released but it was not nu metal.

For me, the closest album to nu metal from In Flames is STYE but I wouldn't call that album nu metal either.

Even though I don't really listen to nu metal now, I have a lot of respect for it and I don't understand why "true" metalheads criticise it so much.
It provided an access point into metal for so many people. I know loads of people who grew up with numetal and then moved into thrash, death, prog etc. including me. I first heard of Limp Bizkit on the radio in 2001 and in 2003 I found my self listening to old IF, Carcass, Opeth, Eternal Tears of Sorrow etc.

If it weren't for bands like Linkin Park, Korn etc, then a lot of people wouldn't have been listening to metal now and thus loads of thrash, death, prog, heavy metal bands would be less popular.

Having said that, back in 2003 when I was only 15 I got caught up by the "true" metalhead trend and threw my Limp Bizkit cd's in the bin hahaha, which is quite sad now that I think of it :p

You know, there are IF songs which are not far from the nu metal genre, but I doubt you could find many which matches all the requirements. Everyone who's struggling to decide whether IF was nu metal at some point just listen to Passenger and ask himself this: "Is there a record that sounds like Passenger in almost every way?"

I dunno man, I growed up in nu metal, so maybe it's just me, but nu metal has something unique in it that distincts itself from other genres. Just listen to Slipknot (album) then Vol 3. Both are great albums they did not change their sound drasticly, no1 complained when it was released but it was not nu metal.

For me, the closest album to nu metal from In Flames is STYE but I wouldn't call that album nu metal either.

If I understand you correctly, I agree. There might be some elements with regards to the riffs that IF writes, but just because there are some traces doesn't make it completely nu-metal.