In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

PlainVanilla: Oops :) That's what happens when you don't check your essays for mistakes.

Krofius: How to express my thoughts properly with my poor english... I'll try :) I think he sounds fine on SoaPF, because he uses clean vocals, but he's still agressive, I mean its like shouting (choruses of title track, New Dawn, All for me, etc.) From the new album, choruses of Rusted Nail, Filtered truth - they're ok. Even on ASoP, it's bad but still at least listenable and it sounds like actual singing. Just when he tries to sing calmly like so many times in those released songs from SC, it all goes wrong and turns into some mumbling, which doesn't even sound like singing by an actual professional singer who takes a shitload of money for what he does. His voice is too strong and crispy for that. And it becomes clear he's just not a good singer.

And for that terrible screaming in WtWE, I seriously don't get it. Given the fact that the last time he used some actual screams was on Come Clarity 8 years ago, I suppose he just can't scream anymore. It wouldn't be surprising if his vocal chords were fucked up after 20 years.

and I would say there's no denying Anders cleans has gotten progressively better for each album

Absolute nonsense. His clean vocals on Come Clarity are FAR superior to anything he tried on ASOP, which is unquestionably the worst vocal performance he's ever put into an album. Both his screams and cleans on that album are so below-par it actually ruins plenty of songs which otherwise have decent riffs and melodies. Combined with the shittiest lyrics possibly ever penned by a supposedly adult man and you have an utter fucking disaster.

He was back on form for SOAPF - at least as far as modern IF goes - but I'm not looking forward to this album's performance based on what we've endured so far.

Jesper doing solo album? THAT I want to hear.

Jesper Strömblad Official

Yes, the seed is planted!. Anyone up for a SOLOALBUM?? m/

10606110_497848767017277_1626253065987015563_n.jpg

"But at least I feel something!!"

I feel cancer slowly killing me, but not until I'm in my 70's

After this album's out been out for a few weeks, this subforum will slowly disintegrate back into a wasteland unless something big happens (band breaks up or something happens to end it, or obviously until talks of the next album)

I've enjoyed this adventure with you guys all through this summer very mucho

Just listened to the album at youtube, so these are only first and personal impresions.

The best songs are the two singles, WTWE and Filtered Truth, so, at last, choosing Rusted Nail was the right decision. Also, Rusted Nail is the only song that resembles what IF used to be.

All songs sound like random crap put together. I don't get what Anders is trying to do with the vocal lines, unless he is trying to ruin the songs.

The album sounds like some random rock band trying to sound metal.

So, these are my first ratings.

For those who like it (I really respet your opinions), here the 320 link (merry xmas):
http://3.rockfamily.biz/3100/In-Flames---Siren-Charms---2014/

In Plain View: 2/10
Everything's gone: 4/10
Paralyzed: 2/10
Through Oblivion: 4/10
With Eyes Wide Open: 2/10
Siren Charms: 3/10
When the World Explodes: 5/10
Rusted Nail: 6/10
Dead Eyes:2/10
Monsters in the Ballroom: 2/10
Filtered Truth: 5/10

I've gotta say that, again remember that this is my personal opinion, Anders ruins what otherwise would be a mediocre album.

Now I feel depressed.

So yeah, that was um, terrible.

I'll listen again when I'm more awake tomorrow to be fair, and I'm still buying it...

But, that was the worst first-time listen-through of an In Flames album I've experienced, by far.

How hard would it be to make even simple songs (structure-wise), similar to say, Trigger and Cloud Connected? Memorable great heavy riffs, clean singing and screaming with synth electronics? Would that be so bad?
Wow.

In Plain View - Starts pretty effective (good opener) with some electronics and some ASOP-ish riff. Then throws in melody resembling serbian '90s pop band. Random fucked up chorus, random average chorus. Some pretty cool Come Clarity style riffs midway through the song. Random singing again.

5/10 Mediocre song with some cool riffs.

Everything's gone - Some death metal riffs, some nu metal riffs. Nothing special, but still more aggressive. Cool chorus with powerfull singing and much energy. Repeat 'till song ends.

5/10 Mediocre song with great chorus.

Paralyzed - Opening with some cool riffs. Then going into some weird electronic stuff (pretty nice though). Unfortunately Anders shits all over music with terrible vocal lines. Interesting chorus. OK solo. Very modern Bjorn-like (both rhythm and melody). Song has very common song structure (boriiing) and nice powerfull ending.

7/10 Good song, with some bad vocals.

Through Oblivion - Electro pop with minor guitar elements. Truth be told, this one seems like one of better executed song on SC, at least songwriting wise.

6/10 Average song, catchy at times, some cool electronics.

With eyes wide open - Starts like very soft, then does some nice slow melodic riffs. Anders does a better job on verses here. But damn, chorus is gay as fuck. Could be better now that he finally nailed how to write verses. Some more melodic work towards the end (somewhere between softer melodeath and thing you hear on mainstream radio). Again, very common song structure.

7/10 Cool song. Nothing groundbreaking but compared to other ones...

Siren Charms - Opens with riff thingy I like. Anders does some nice vocal melodies (fucks up a bit at the end, but OK). Song then takes a weird turn with some riffs and boring solo which kind of ruins the stuff for me. Some cool guitar and electro melodies in the background towards the end.

6/10 Mostly interesting with some bad parts.

When the World Explodes - Random generic riffing, Anders screaming is painful to listen. Female singer does fantastic work. Kind of pop turns opera with sweet solo and cool electro landscape in the background. Why didn't they do "heavy" parts of the song to the quality of the "softer" part is beyond me. Opportunity for a great song ruined.

7/10 Cool song with some good (lady and electronics win the day) and some bad parts

Rusted Nail - Maybe the most traditional sounding (sounds like leftover from SOAPF the song). Soft intro, annoying wah solo, annoying verse, powerful chorus, annoying verse (damn, these song structures again...), mediocre solo, powerful chorus, boring riff. OK, at least now I know why did they put this one as a first single. It's a shit song, but it has the best chorus on album and it is IF-ish.

5/10 Mediocre song with some bad songwriting and arrangements. Mixed bag (goes from terrible to excellent).

Dead Eyes - Slower (melodeath?) riff. Kind of metal I guess. Anders does verses that leave me with no emotion. Chorus is very pop-rockish. Good melody (God these are rare) towards the end. Then song goes back to usual Anders killing listeners with boredom.

5/10 Mediocre song that has nothing interesting except that one abso-fucking-lutely great melody (great arrangement too).

Monsters in the Ballroom - Oh, no! It's STYE riffs all over again. Theeeen - straight back to radio rock in chorus. Comical "solo". Repeat these parts over and over again.

4/10 - Not good. Though Oblivion beats the shit out of this one.

Filltered Truth - Starts like HIM. Goes into mediocre verse. Does that one excellent melodic riff. Goes into happy but catchy chorus. Does happy but decent solo. Goes into chorus (yaaay, we know this structure). Does that riff. Ends with farting.

7/10 - Decent song. Some things good, some things not.

All in all this gives us: 5.8/10

Sounds about right. The whole album is one big, badly written affair. It is honestly worse then I expected it to be after hearing Rusted Nail.

Production is good, and that is the best thing that can be said about SC.

It tries hard to be pop/rock. Then it tries to stay METALZ on few songs. Does better job trying to be pop/rock.

Anders can't write pop verses. Okay, I know that he's been doing screaming, mumbling, half-deathrapping though whole career but this is just terrible.

Even when there are some songs with potential they are fucked up with some weird part, or some boring riff, or some questionable singing. I really don't know if I like even one whole song from this album. There are some good parts, riffs, choruses etc. Maybe enough for 2 or 3 songs. The rest of the material is garbage. Oh, and song structures are boring as hell.

Can't see myself listening to this album in the future. Now that I've heard the whole album, I started to appreciate Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion more.

Sorry IF, this one is shit.

Gotta say, first listen, I like it. Gonna listen to it a couple of more times and see if it grows even further or the "hype" just dies.
But yeah, sofar, I like it.

In Plain View - Starts pretty effective (good opener) with some electronics and some ASOP-ish riff. Then throws in melody resembling serbian '90s pop band. Random fucked up chorus, random average chorus. Some pretty cool Come Clarity style riffs midway through the song. Random singing again.

5/10 Mediocre song with some cool riffs.

Everything's gone - Some death metal riffs, some nu metal riffs. Nothing special, but still more aggressive. Cool chorus with powerfull singing and much energy. Repeat 'till song ends.

5/10 Mediocre song with great chorus.

Paralyzed - Opening with some cool riffs. Then going into some weird electronic stuff (pretty nice though). Unfortunately Anders shits all over music with terrible vocal lines. Interesting chorus. OK solo. Very modern Bjorn-like (both rhythm and melody). Song has very common song structure (boriiing) and nice powerfull ending.

7/10 Good song, with some bad vocals.

Through Oblivion - Electro pop with minor guitar elements. Truth be told, this one seems like one of better executed song on SC, at least songwriting wise.

6/10 Average song, catchy at times, some cool electronics.

With eyes wide open - Starts like very soft, then does some nice slow melodic riffs. Anders does a better job on verses here. But damn, chorus is gay as fuck. Could be better now that he finally nailed how to write verses. Some more melodic work towards the end (somewhere between softer melodeath and thing you hear on mainstream radio). Again, very common song structure.

7/10 Cool song. Nothing groundbreaking but compared to other ones...

Siren Charms - Opens with riff thingy I like. Anders does some nice vocal melodies (fucks up a bit at the end, but OK). Song then takes a weird turn with some riffs and boring solo which kind of ruins the stuff for me. Some cool guitar and electro melodies in the background towards the end.

6/10 Mostly interesting with some bad parts.

When the World Explodes - Random generic riffing, Anders screaming is painful to listen. Female singer does fantastic work. Kind of pop turns opera with sweet solo and cool electro landscape in the background. Why didn't they do "heavy" parts of the song to the quality of the "softer" part is beyond me. Opportunity for a great song ruined.

7/10 Cool song with some good (lady and electronics win the day) and some bad parts

Rusted Nail - Maybe the most traditional sounding (sounds like leftover from SOAPF the song). Soft intro, annoying wah solo, annoying verse, powerful chorus, annoying verse (damn, these song structures again...), mediocre solo, powerful chorus, boring riff. OK, at least now I know why did they put this one as a first single. It's a shit song, but it has the best chorus on album and it is IF-ish.

5/10 Mediocre song with some bad songwriting and arrangements. Mixed bag (goes from terrible to excellent).

Dead Eyes - Slower (melodeath?) riff. Kind of metal I guess. Anders does verses that leave me with no emotion. Chorus is very pop-rockish. Good melody (God these are rare) towards the end. Then song goes back to usual Anders killing listeners with boredom.

5/10 Mediocre song that has nothing interesting except that one abso-fucking-lutely great melody (great arrangement too).

Monsters in the Ballroom - Oh, no! It's STYE riffs all over again. Theeeen - straight back to radio rock in chorus. Comical "solo". Repeat these parts over and over again.

4/10 - Not good. Though Oblivion beats the shit out of this one.

Filltered Truth - Starts like HIM. Goes into mediocre verse. Does that one excellent melodic riff. Goes into happy but catchy chorus. Does happy but decent solo. Goes into chorus (yaaay, we know this structure). Does that riff. Ends with farting.

7/10 - Decent song. Some things good, some things not.

All in all this gives us: 5.8/10

Sounds about right. The whole album is one big, badly written affair. It is honestly worse then I expected it to be after hearing Rusted Nail.

Production is good, and that is the best thing that can be said about SC.

It tries hard to be pop/rock. Then it tries to stay METALZ in few song. Does better job trying to be pop/rock.

Anders can't write pop verses. Okay, I know that he's been doing screaming, mumbling, half-deathrapping though whole career but this is just terrible.

Even when there are some songs with potential they are fucked up with some weird part, or some boring riff, or some questionable singing. I really don't know if I like even one whole song from this album. There are some good parts, riffs, choruses etc. Maybe enough for 2 or 3 songs. The rest of the material is garbage. Oh, and song structures are boring as hell.

Can't see myself listening to this album in the future. Now that I've heard the whole album, I started to appreciate Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion more.

Sorry IF, this one is shit.

I can't listen to it yet, but considering your views generally mirror my own (except regarding AtFRT, fuck you :D ) I'm guessing this is probably how I'm going to hear it as well. Disappointing to read but not surprising. Your scores actually seem to be higher than expected given the descriptions :D sounds like Anders has ruined another album. ASOP Part 2.

I can't listen to it yet, but considering your views generally mirror my own (except regarding AtFRT, fuck you :D ) I'm guessing this is probably how I'm going to hear it as well. Disappointing to read but not surprising. Your scores actually seem to be higher than expected given the descriptions :D sounds like Anders has ruined another album. ASOP Part 2.

Yeah, scores are high, but most of these songs are not terrible (like 2,3/10, believe me I've heard worse) they are just average and boring.

Anders did ruin album, both with his influence and vocals. But even when you take out his vocals, album is not that great. ASOP had bunch or riffs and stuff, SC doesn't. When a guitar riff or real melody kicks in it's a surprise. They are that rare.

I must admit this is a new experience for me. New IF album is out. I gave it a few spins and I don't want to listen to it any more. Not even individual songs (damn, every song has some fucked up parts).

Even with ASOP that wasn't the case (it was good for a few months). When SOAPF was out, it was on my speakers all day long.

Anders did ruin album, both with his influence and vocals. But even when you take out his vocals, album is not that great. ASOP had bunch or riffs and stuff, SC doesn't. When a guitar riff or real melody kicks in it's a surprise. They are that rare.

Yep, I feel like Augusts after the battle of the Teutoburg forest:

"Anders, give me back my band".