In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

826837and.jpg

There's a fundamental difference. When scientists cannot explain (or fully explain) something, they're agnostics about the matter until the time when they can find a full explanation (be it years, decades or centuries). Religion (I'm talking about catholic which I know well) explains it all as a matter of God's will or as a matter of Devil's deeds.

Yep, you're correct. They sustain judgment, which is the rational thing to do if X turns into an uncertainty. - Also, I forgot to say the most obvious thing which is that science has no authority, nor do we know everything, which is exciting. - Everyone can do science and prove their teacher wrong, or perhaps come with breakthroughs that can help us progress.

And yeah, religion has a tendency to take credit from science, which is funny, and outrageous at the same time. If it is a good thing, then the deity did it, if it is a bad thing, then the dark-dweller did it, OR the deity.

-

On the topic of In Flames, which this forum is almost always about... maybe, FUCK YEAH for Free Fall and A New Dawn.

Everyone can do science and prove their teacher wrong, or perhaps come with breakthroughs that can help us progress.

I feel like you just helped my point here. I'm not for religion, I'm for science. I was just saying what we know can always be changed. Any theory can be disproven, therefore no theory can be 100% proven. It may be extremely unlikely sometimes, but it can still happen.

I feel like you just helped my point here. I'm not for religion, I'm for science. I was just saying what we know can always be changed. Any theory can be disproven, therefore no theory can be 100% proven. It may be extremely unlikely sometimes, but it can still happen.

Scientific fact and Scientific theory are two separate things

scientific fact - an observation that has been confirmed repeatedly and is accepted as true (although its truth is never final)

Getting a bit tiresome..

Fact: In science, an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as “true.” Truth in science, however, is never final and what is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow.

Hypothesis: A tentative statement about the natural world leading to deductions that can be tested. If the deductions are verified, the hypothesis is provisionally corroborated. If the deductions are incorrect, the original hypothesis is proved false and must be abandoned or modified. Hypotheses can be used to build more complex inferences and explanations.

Law: A descriptive generalization about how some aspect of the natural world behaves under stated circumstances.

Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses. - The highest rank in Science.

Any theory can be disproven, therefore no theory can be 100% proven. It may be extremely unlikely, but it can still happen.

You got it! That's how science works. It has no absolutes (100%) and it updates itself, very often so publicly.

scientific fact - an observation that has been confirmed repeatedly and is accepted as true (although its truth is never final)

Yes, because the scientists know that the results can be different if the conditions that led to them change. Using a previous example. A scientist will say that 2+2=4 because he saw many times before that 2+2=4. He is not a believer of the maths, he is an observer.

In oposition, we can say that a religious fact is an external non natural force that rarely acts over one (or a few) person(s) and is confirmed as true for many (without proof nor observation).

Scientific fact and Scientific theory are two separate things

So I am bored, and I'll state the obvious out of that.

Scientific theories are based on facts.

Certain mechanisms within theoretical frameworks are "open" because that's the way it should be. They can and do change. But that doesn't change the theory. The framework itself doesn't change. Atomic theory still works, heliocentric theory still is true, despite any potential changes that have been made to the acting forces within. Same for evolution, plate tectonics, atomic theory, etc...

Well. Let's end.

-Siren Charms. It's not a bad song but it could be much better, like it needs more lenght. Another one I get bored if trying to listen to it two followed times. This song sounds to me more Alt Rock than Alt Metal and, everytime I listen to it, it comes to my mind 30 Seconds to Mars, except for the rythm guitars after the second chorus and through the solo, that, somehow, remind me of Metallica's Black Album, but slower. The solo is boring and irrelevant. This kind of effortless song could be just right if it wasn't the regular pattern for the album. I mean, as an example, Only for the Weak is a easy to play song with a simple structure but still a very good song (guitar melodies are by far better than anything on this album), but, if all Clayman songs were like OFTW, then it would be a mediocre album as for music quality.

-When the world explodes. First time I listened to it thought, not bad. Now I think that's really bad. Another simple song with simple riffs that lacks lenght and could be much better. I don't like the chorus, it sounds like some gothic band with woman frontman and it's nothing special. THe strong point coculd be the solo, if it wasn't, once again a lazy and short repeated pattern And I hate the ending with just keyboards and the two singers. It lacks emotion.

-Rusted Nails. I don't know why so much shit about this song. It feels just goos, has a nice (shake the head) rythm and a good chorus, except for the lyrics that seem vulgar and stupid. Yes, it has a forced, bridge, like many others on the album, and that weird part with Anders and the Jesterheads, but, for me, no more wird than other Anders vocals throughout the album. Strong points, the intro (best of the album) and the final chorus, really emotional; weak points, the second guitar solo and the sound of the guitars, they desn't sound like recorded with a modern equipment. Conclusion. I like the song, not their best but nor their worst.

-Dead eyes. I put this song on the same cathegory as Paralyzed, or Siren Charms. Songs with a strong Alt Rock feeling, and songs I get bored even before they end. Yes, this song has a nice (switch the litters chorus) but I think a set with this kind of songs will get the crowd cold. Talking about the guitar solo, a variation after variation of the guitars from the chorus with the keyboards covering tham and making a mess from the sound. THis is the kind the songs that I will stop listening afeter a few times.

-Monsters in the Ballroom. Starts with a riff that reminds me of the Ride the Lightning years and that promise to bring a hard heavy song. Then comes Anders and... boring again. It feels (to me) nonsense how he seems to put more effort into choruses while leaving the regular verses to some random and lacking words. Again a forgettable boring and short guitar solo.

-Filtered truth. One of the songs that I like (not too much but I like it). Again Anders feels not much interested in lyrics or sending a message far away from what he says on the chorus but this (the chorus) has a nice melody. The solo one of the best from the album (if not the best). And I feel that could be better stretching on the last chorus or, at least, changing a little the lyrics from it.

-Become the Sky. Promising until Anders starts to sing. The chorus feels really pop and weak. Nothing special about this song.

-The Chase. Last song and one of the Three I came to like. This feels like one song that could've been on the previous album. It's the only clean voice chorus that I like on the album and I think Anders does this time a good work with his voice. A perfect combination of harsh and clean vocals. Also the song has a good rythm that makes me shake the head without noticing. Weak points, the guitar solo and some forced riffs. But not as bad as the rest of the album. Also, the ending piano sounds good, although it reminds me of Mogwai.

Well. That's all for now and, after listening to it a dozen more times, I don't think my opinion will change.

At last, I would like to say some personal opinion. I don't see evolution, nor improvement on the album. I see change of direction, if it's good or bad for the future of the band I don't know, and I'm one of those who thinks that they can do whatever they want, but I don't like the route they're taking now, and I feel that there are bands on the way they're heading that do this kind of music much better than they do. But that's just my poor opinion.

Is there even a way for them to go even softer?

Like, what could the next album be at this rate? Literally "Soft Rock"?

Yes, there is

Sorry, but I don't have the feeling I'm listening to a Metal band playing acoustic, nor Alt Metal band and nor Alt Rock. But it's my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: