New Opeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jean-Pierre said:
Winnar. Opeth bores the hell out of me, simply put. Weak 70's prog ripoffs mixed with monotonous, soft death/doom? Nope.

I've always wondered... have you heard Orchid? I can understand the 'progrock death metal wank' argument regarding Blackwater Park and Still Life, but on Orchid I hear more Iron Maiden influence on the guitars than anything else.

I don't really listen to Opeth much........but I'll just say that if the new album is crappy, don't fucking blame it on RoadRunner, blame it on Opeth, regardless of what kind of label RoadRunner is.

Décadent said:
I've always wondered... have you heard Orchid? I can understand the 'progrock death metal wank' argument regarding Blackwater Park and Still Life, but on Orchid I hear more Iron Maiden influence on the guitars than anything else.

Yep, only Opeth album I ever owned. I was into it a lot for a while, but I got bored with it pretty quickly. Then imo they went totally downhill with the albums following, and gradually became more and more terrible with the material they put out. I gave it away to an old ex-girlfriend. :p

:tickled:

Good to hear you're not dismissing them entirely based on their later works. I agree entirely that they've gone downhill with each album, though Morningrise had some amazing material.

Apprentice's Master said:
From what I've heard of their new album Ghost Reveries, this release will be as masterful as any of their previous albums. I can't wait.

It's mindless comments like the above that compel people who are merely indifferent to Opeth to start slagging them.(it's pretty sad too in several different ways)

Just heard "Ghost of Perdition". I thought "The Grand Conjuration" was varying from mediocre to kinda cool to kinda bad (long song), but this just plain sucked. I'll buy the new album, but only because I'm a completist.

And for the record, I consider their first four to be absolute works of art. Really good.

J. said:
To me it seems that it is trendy to call those who criticize trendy groups trendy, so as to delude themselves that they are not following a trend by listening to these sellout trendy bands.

In other words, the statement quoted above is so full of shit, it's funny.

It seems my point was lost on you. We're all part of the trend whether we like it or not, so just get over yourself and "I'm much too good for Opeth" attitude and move along.

Metal is as trendy as anything else that is trendy.

Everyone's trendy.

If you hear a band thinking about other people,labels,etc.. that's as retarded as my internet grammar.

The world "sellout" is 1990,more so 1996 when 'load' came out. The trend of 'selling out' was started by disgruntled metalheads because someone listened to their favorite band metallica!

If you have anyone to blame for 'selling out' it's MTV and people that think they're unique and different from everyone else when it's not true. Selling out is a trend, is not usually used much now because most people realize how ridiculous it is to say it.

The_Isle said:
It's mindless comments like the above that compel people who are merely indifferent to Opeth to start slagging them.(it's pretty sad too in several different ways)
:lol: Get over yourself. Really. They're a good band, in my opinion. Sorry if I offended you. :cry:

All this bickering should stop. I can't believe we're pointing fingers using the word "trendy." Although's J.'s last comment was funny. The back and forth is pointless. Fanboys will drool, haters will mock, the truly clever will strike comedy gold with both.

I, for one, was disappointed. Although I should have expected to be. I still have their first four and BWP(a personal fave), so I'll just move on. Another lost band, IMO...

"DER DER DER I HAVE THE FIRST FOUR AND I ALSO HAVE THE FIFTH ONE IN ADDITION"

Do that again and I'LL kill you.

my arms your hearse is still decent. and since we're all just tossin' out opinions, I guess it doesn't really matter what I fancy, just like I could care less if no one enjoys my arms your hearse.

I just wish mike had pronounced the word "bough" in the lyric,

"trees bend their boughs towards the earth", in the song Karma, correctly, or as it is typically pronounced.

the word bough rhymes with cow, plow, how, etc.
the word bough does not rhyme with slow, although, throw, toe, etc.

HAY DODENS

untitled45nr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.