Not-so-good-and-old "How do you feel" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
get better there... colds suck :(

king, what is the movie about?

hm feeling tired and not at all like going to work, its raining here, a weather to stay in bed with someone... but staying in bed is not possible and there is noone to stay in bed with either now so well...

I'll post a copy of the synopsis which is part and parcel of the coursework.

A man named Neville takes a walk along a country road to try and make sense of his recent murderous intentions. After biting a carrot cultivated on toxic wasteland, Neville begins to hallucinate violently. This begins with him being attacked and knocked unconscious by a mysterious looking man.
Neville wakes up to find himself bound around the wrists in the back of a car. He sees the mysterious man driver become almost grim reaper like after taking a bite out of a human’s kidney.
The mysterious man feeds Neville vomit, which sends Neville in to a rather spasmodic fit. Neville vomits himself and in a moment of peace finds a high form of art to be his saviour, playing a soulful piano concerto and then snapping out of his over powering hallucinations altogether to appear back on the side of the road.
Neville is clearly still feeling the effects of the toxic poisoning as he battles his way home. In a frightening twist he sees the Mysterious Man again; now defacing a piece of art.
Neville’s murderous intentions return to him as the one thing that set him free from social entrapment is destroyed by the reincarnated antagonist. Neville kills the Mysterious Man with a baseball bat, but then dies from the poison in his system.

That's briefly what the film is about. Mental stuff. Trying to take influecen from David Lynch and Miike Takashi. I don't know how well it works as 'a film inspired by these two'... but it works in it's own context.

NF: Shitty and cold. Been waiting outside school offices since 11pm, waiting for registration at 8:30 am. Managed to hijack someone's wireless net with my gf's laptop, so that makes it suck slightly less. Gotta love an engineering school that doesn't have online registration and only one section of courses desired by the entire year.

~kov.

Woohoo. Registration went alright, got the classes I wanted. Yeah it was cold about 3 hours ago, but now it's like 70-80 degrees out (all in F), so we wound up sweating our asses off for the last half hour of waiting.

The job interview is for a summer job at a company near me that makes CNC machines, www.technocnc.com. It seems pretty cool, and the guy seems laid back enough. He answered my emailed resume within 5 minutes of me sending it, so I'll take that as a good sign. :)

~kov.

hyena said:
long live the pope :)

so what do you think of him? I´m not quite sure to have decided between "can´t get any more worse" and "if it gets worse, he won´t reign longer than 20 years..".
On the other hand, surprisingly, he looked quite nice this afternoon. Maybe he was all the time nice guy hidden in evil and things will be cool from now on :D
But the best thing is, that I am not catholic :cool:

With all due respect, how can you take this man for the representative of God if he is elected by the congregation of Cardinals?
My roomie suggested to roll a dice or something, like that God could have it his way, and I think he's got a point there. Oh well..

Taliesin:
Because they assume that they can fulfill God´s ways, and if they all have the same intention, then the right one would be chosen. Of course that is not too logic, as then already in the first round of election should be 100% vote for one person ;)

fireangel said:
so what do you think of him? I´m not quite sure to have decided between "can´t get any more worse" and "if it gets worse, he won´t reign longer than 20 years..".
On the other hand, surprisingly, he looked quite nice this afternoon. Maybe he was all the time nice guy hidden in evil and things will be cool from now on :D
We have a saying in Greece. It goes something like "bad dog, no death". ;)

I'm surprised you thought he looked nice. I saw him for just a few seconds on tv, and i immediately thought "eeewww what a bad person he seems to be :err:".

Siren said:
We have a saying in Greece. It goes something like "bad dog, no death". ;)

I'm surprised you thought he looked nice. I saw him for just a few seconds on tv, and i immediately thought "eeewww what a bad person he seems to be :err:".

I didn´t like the previous pope´s looks, while everyone there was telling how "soft" and good servant of God he would be.
And as I said, from his opinions he seems evil, but to me he did look nice, still I don´t expect much good from him.

fireangel said:
Taliesin:
Because they assume that they can fulfill God´s ways, and if they all have the same intention, then the right one would be chosen. Of course that is not too logic, as then already in the first round of election should be 100% vote for one person ;)

it's 1am and i should be sleeping, but i feel compelled to clarify the point. no offense meant to you as a person, but this opinion is ignorant (totally independent of what you think about the existence of god/the holy spirit/the pope even). in catholic doctrine (and in christian doctrine in general afaik, but i could be wrong on some fine point of lutheran denominations since i know little about them) the idea is that in every man's and woman's life god reveals his plans in mysterious ways, and human beings should put their full intellectual/analytical talents to the task of understanding, but also continuously pray for enlightment from the holy spirit. when this enlightment is given, to whom, with what cadences is a mistery of the faith, and there is no fixed rule. in much the same fashion,
the holy spirit is meant to direct the intellect of every single voting cardinal so as to make it possible for him to see what would be best for the church, over and above personal likings, self-interest, theoretical leanings or whatever. assuming that it doesn't work the same way, at the same pace, and with the same intensity for everyone there has to be a majority rule to decide, and this maybe is the weak point: but i don't see as illogical that people who individually are on a quest for revelation get there in different moments, and maybe also get to different conclusions, for reasons that - alas - are to stay unknown. i repeat: this has nothing to do with trying to prove the validitiy or truthfulness of the reasoning, i'm just saying that it's not illogical.

no, it´s not ignorant. It was a simplified version of the theory you explained.
People always try to explain to which extend God does interfere/not interfere with human mind. You learned it that way, but there are also more radical views to both sides, that is, God does not interfere at all, or God acts amongst us all the time. Everyone chose their opinion from the range of possibilities.
Also please consider that what might be logic within the roman catholic doctrine is not a law for anyone standing outside of it. So you are right from your belief (or if its not your personal belief, it´s correct from the roman catholic point of view in general) but that doesn´t hinder me to doubt the overall concept and say that God could express his will of who would become the next pope also by other means than this election concept.

EDIT:
btw, there were some human influences, too, such as Mr. Ratzinger representing the previous pope when he was too ill for public performance and having a huge influence within that community. So one could assume that either an influential person becomes pope or a person that all can agree with because they think they can influence him, or persons become it because no-one can decide between two powerful personalities.
Not to mention the discussion about "do we want an old pope so he won´t reign that long" or a "modern" person and so on.. should the new pope be a reformer or a conservative.. I see much politics there lingering in the background.

fireangel said:

forgot to answer the question. he's okay by me. actually, he's more than okay because i've always been a fan of his, but anyone really would have been okay because i happen to also believe in the non-illogical argument above. :p

as far as his looking "quite nice" goes, from what i've read by/about him i'm actually convinced he is a nice guy. might be a hard-liner on some themes (and not as much of an extremist as the media paint him anyway), but personally he's been described as a shy, quiet scholar with a fondness for innocuous stuff like the landscape of rural germany. the type of guy who reportedly couldn't really stand the long wine-fueled debates between theologians because he wanted to go to bed early, if the lore has any truth to it. he also veers a bit on the sentimental every now and then, mentioning melancholic german poets or even his "dear mom" and similar stuff - that i find a bit creepy, but it's immaterial. :) anyway, he's not a smash-them-to-pieces kind of man if i read him correctly, don't expect an aggressive personality.

I'm not quite sure if I should be happy with him... What's going on in this forum TFH posted is a little off the way I think, but Ratzinger?!?

First, he's very conservative. I don't really know what to expect from him. Will he be representative or is he willing to change things (don't think so).

Second, he's already 78. If he wants to change something, I don't think there's much time left although he looks quite lethal.

And third... Nothing.

Anyway, I see myself as a very rational thinking person. I thought a lot about the existence of a higher creature ("God, Allah, Jahwe, ...") and concluded that I can't deny the existence but - although I'm catholic by definition - I don't really believe in such a way.

With Ratzinger: lets see, only time can tell...

@DragonLady: Great work, do you have some more of this stuff?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.