Opeth....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holden_Portman_Closer004_2.jpg

nice sig

Cythraul said:
The people who automatically assume that if somebody doesn't like Opeth then they don't "get" it for some reason or just aren't open-minded enough get a few of these: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
people who are apparently too ignorant to realize such a scenario exists or are just in denial about it because you're afraid it applies to you get quite a few more of those

House of Seance said:
people who are apparently too ignorant to realize such a scenario exists or are just in denial about it because you're afraid it applies to you get quite a few more of those

I never fucking said such situations never arise, retard. Also, I'm most certainly not in denial about anything. If I can listen to Bartok or Ligeti and "get" it then surely Opeth is not going to be too difficult for me. Don't be such a presumptuous idiot.

Mike27 said:
The vocals suck

I really don't get that part. I understand that some people do not like what Opeth offers in terms of songwriting (and I do agree that their post-BWP output has been spotty) but I really don't get it when people say stuff like this. Maybe I am deaf, but I'd say Mikael is at the very least an above averagely talented vocalist and personally I'd say more talented than most other metal vocalists I've heard. Mainly because he can pull off both clean singing and growling really well. Whereas a lot of metal vocalists are decent growlers at best, and sing off-key half the time when they try clean singing. Not to mention the fact that he plays guitar (which I'd say he also does really well) at the same time when playing live, while switching back and forth between growls and clean singing. To say that he "sucks" seems a bit odd to me.

As for what is so special about them, you have to look at their first 5 (some would argue first 3) albums for that. If those don't do it for you then I guess Opeth isn't for you. For me it is the atmosphere that does it, especially on albums like MAYH and Still Life.

Meh... They're decent. I used to absolutely love Blackwater Park but I've gotten bored with it... and Deliverance is an absolutely terrible album (with a very few fantastic moments)... Ghost reveries is also hit and miss (albeit with more hits than Deliverance). It seems to me that they just don't age that well.

That said I still love their acoustic/clean electric ballads... strangely though I don't like Damnation much at all.

I still need to check out Still Life and MAYH though... are these significantly different from Morningrise? Morningrise has some interesting melodies, but on the whole bores me. I like BWP far more.

Yes they are very different. Still Life is closer to BWP. And MAYH is kind of in its own league as far as Opeth albums go in my opinion (it's also my favourite Opeth album so I may be biased).

I really like Deliverance. It's probably the bands most dark/bleak album other than my arms,your hearse. Deliverance is probably the heaviest opeth.

Opeth gets pretty doomy and heavy sometimes. If you have not heard the bands discography extensive you would not notice or see opeth as a heavy band.

Mort Divine said:
There is nothing special about them

You really like Agalloch right ?. That's my opinion regarding agalloch. People seem to think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. All the clean guitars on Pale Folklore sound exactly the same. I think the vocalist growls are really good but I can't distinquish the songs from each other. The music is pretty minimalistic so it has nothing to do with it being complex or anything.

CAIRATH said:
I really don't get that part. I understand that some people do not like what Opeth offers in terms of songwriting (and I do agree that their post-BWP output has been spotty) but I really don't get it when people say stuff like this. Maybe I am deaf, but I'd say Mikael is at the very least an above averagely talented vocalist and personally I'd say more talented than most other metal vocalists I've heard. Mainly because he can pull off both clean singing and growling really well. Whereas a lot of metal vocalists are decent growlers at best, and sing off-key half the time when they try clean singing. Not to mention the fact that he plays guitar (which I'd say he also does really well) at the same time when playing live, while switching back and forth between growls and clean singing. To say that he "sucks" seems a bit odd to me..

very well put. my only qualm with the band is that they probably make the songs 1-2 min longer than they need to be.

i really enjoy aggaloch...

you guys are really lame, your acting as though these bands are your life...

if someone likes it, they like it, if you dont... SO WHAT! and if you out to change peoples opinions, just fuck yourself.

/thread

The Greys said:
You really like Agalloch right ?. That's my opinion regarding agalloch. People seem to think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. All the clean guitars on Pale Folklore sound exactly the same. I think the vocalist growls are really good but I can't distinquish the songs from each other. The music is pretty minimalistic so it has nothing to do with it being complex or anything.

Opeth really is not that complex either. To me Opeth and Agalloch fit into the same category of bands because both of them are very much about atmosphere. Eventhough both bands have quite a different approach to achieving that (Agalloch going more of a post-rock route). Some people enjoy that type of music and some people just want straightforward music without the long drawn out atmospheric stuff I guess.

That is why I also disagree with Deliverance being a good album. Out of all the Opeth albums it is by far the least atmosphere-driven one and is too straightforward, with most of the good heavy bits being blatant Morbid Angel worshipping. When I'm in the mood for that type of music I'd rather actually listen to Morbid Angel than to Opeth trying to imitate them. Deliverance was just an all-round weak album in terms of songwriting. Even Mikael admits that.

I don't hear deliverance in morbid angel enough where I would just not listen to it listening to morbid angel instead. You still can't get the best of each band with the other. Both bands are very very different regardless if mikael pointed out deliverance has morbid angel riffs and you can hear influence. Deliverance is still not a tribute to morbid angel. 'Deliverance' is very much opeth sounding in traits and characterics. I like morbid angel but a lot of times not really into listening to blast beats. I would not say Deliverance is a high point for opeth but I still very much enjoy it. I probably prefere deliverance over ghost reveries.

Int said:
I never listen to Opeth anymore but I'd still consider myself a fan and the first three are really good (and some songs on BWP). There is nothing sensational about them that is hard to understand though.

[/late]

Status
Not open for further replies.