slipknot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nu-metal is an offshoot of metal. Slipknot is far more metal then other nu-metal bands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music#Characteristics. According to wiki (or popular consensus), metal is primarily defined by a guitar dominated sound, strong rythems, distortion, and dramatic everything. Nu- metal is derived from a fusion of alternative rock and heavy metal (alternative metal, such as faith no more and tool and Rage against the machiene). Heres more wiki for yall "Paul Gray (bassist) stated in an interview "We're not 'rap metal' or 'new metal,' We're metal metal. We want to be lumped in with bands like Pantera and Slayer".[9]" Plus, slipknot have solos on their latest album.

Mike27 said:
which IS metal!

jesus people........

....and yes slipknot "guitarists" do suck the big one.....

but still metal!

It's more like a very bad try to appeal to punks or something.

EDIT: We'll actually a very good one.

Vol3 was sellout! SEEELLLOOUUUT! And I was watching a live clip of them, I noticed that the Clown just runs around a couple of trashcans and smashes them with baseball bats. The dude with the long nose just sorta runs around and holds a microphone, even though you can't really hear any backup. And the dude with the spikes coming out of his helmet just sorta stands there and moves not in time with the beat. What the hell? Pretty hard to get 'lumped in with bands like Pantera and Slayer' when you've got three people that hit trashcans and jump around and not do stuff in general.

I liked Opium Of The People, Spit It Out, and I didn't like My Plague.

Slipknot was my third metal band (yes this is a metal band, don't know why the hell this is under the non metal category). I listened to them for half a year. I would have still liked them also but I just found better stuff. As a result I still praise Slipknot for being a good introduction to metal. Although we all know there's better out there. The Slipknot "maggots" will soon grow their wings just like what maggots always do.What comes next? The continual harvesting of new real metal fans by Slipknot. The only thing is, they don't listen to Slipknot anymore.

Blue_Jay said:
I liked Opium Of The People, Spit It Out, and I didn't like My Plague.

Slipknot was my third metal band (yes this is a metal band, don't know why the hell this is under the non metal category). I listened to them for half a year. I would have still liked them also but I just found better stuff. As a result I still praise Slipknot for being a good introduction to metal. Although we all know there's better out there. The Slipknot "maggots" will soon grow their wings just like what maggots always do.What comes next? The continual harvesting of new real metal fans by Slipknot. The only thing is, they don't listen to Slipknot anymore.

This coming from a man in Texas who hates beer! :| :loco: I waited to bash that for along time)

You're right about the part that it is a star for all people who start listening to Metal. i might be alittle harsh on it because i started with Metallica and Maiden and stuff like that so all NU Metal just sounds lame to me. i do like bands like MSI and Korn every now and than and even Static- X and Rammstein ain't so bad. but it just for a break from Metal.

:lol:

kiss has no talent.

nu-metal is an offshoot of metal. Slipknot is far more metal then other nu-metal bands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_m...haracteristics. According to wiki (or popular consensus), metal is primarily defined by a guitar dominated sound, strong rythems, distortion, and dramatic everything. Nu- metal is derived from a fusion of alternative rock and heavy metal (alternative metal, such as faith no more and tool and Rage against the machiene). Heres more wiki for yall "Paul Gray (bassist) stated in an interview "We're not 'rap metal' or 'new metal,' We're metal metal. We want to be lumped in with bands like Pantera and Slayer".[9]" Plus, slipknot have solos on their latest album.

i agree they are metal, and i dont see at all how they some people call them rap metal. i own every slipknot album including MFKR and i dont see much rapping.

and on their newest album, there are solos, but there are only a few and they are horrible. just hitting totally random notes. nothing musical about it at all. ex: The pulse of the maggots solo. :puke:

Vacant_Planets said:
LOLfrom make up to masks, it usually works. Again you can call it metal all you want it doesn't have the elements and most likely never will.
What seperates a band like Death from a band like Slipknot? Do you really think the guitarists for Death are that much more talented that those in Slipknot? I am no lover of Slipknot but, I certainly am not a "hater"

fah-q said:
What seperates a band like Death from a band like Slipknot? Do you really think the guitarists for Death are that much more talented that those in Slipknot? I am no lover of Slipknot but, I certainly am not a "hater"

Yes, actually I know they are. lol Just like I would consider Joan Sutherland (Opera singer) a good deal better than Corey from Slipknot. :)

fah-q said:

Are you fucking kidding me? you actually think a bunch of high morons playing with the help of elecronics who couldn't riff half as good as any Death Metal Riffer are as good as Death?! oh god...look how far we have gone....

fah-q said:

Yes James Murphy, Shannon Hamm, Chuck are amazing. Guys in slipknot are well average guitar players that can string some riffs together and make songs. THats it. Joey Jordinson compared to Richard Christy or Gene Hoglan is just about the same ball park.

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
Yes James Murphy, Shannon Hamm, Chuck are amazing. Guys in slipknot are well average guitar players that can string some riffs together and make songs. THats it. Joey Jordinson compared to Richard Christy or Gene Hoglan is just about the same ball park.

Yankess Vs. Royals...

TylerTheNuke said:
Just because it sucks doesn't mean it isn't metal. nu-metal is a subgenre of metal, I don't really see the point in denying that.

According to this logic, Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are heavy metal. They clearly are not. Most nu-"metal" shouldn't be even considered metal at all but they should be classed along the lines of alternative, rap or just pop. Slipknot are metal in comparison to the 2 other bands I brought up. Yes, they are metal but they do play pretty simple songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.