SOULFLY

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Please post all questions, comments & anything related to this artist here.

Soulfly (Re-Issue Bonus Disc) / The Song Remains Insane

soulfly.jpg
soulfly_song.jpg

How did they got that loud fat guitar sound on Prophesy or Dar Ages? I know, I meen I saw somewhere that they use xxx heads and cabs...but one week ago I was in studio playing on XXX and pushing those power tubes to limit, but no way I could get the sound of a live, loud guitar.
How they do it!?

How did they got that loud fat guitar sound on Prophesy or Dar Ages? I know, I meen I saw somewhere that they use xxx heads and cabs...but one week ago I was in studio playing on XXX and pushing those power tubes to limit, but no way I could get the sound of a live, loud guitar.
How they do it!

Andy wasn't involved in any of those albums...

OK, but still all other albums sound massive (to me). Any tips to get some huge guitar tone on the tape? I know, "experiment with mic placing, try different angles of mic" but I am still too far from Soulfly sound.

Here in Bosnia not much people like Soulfly because of their experimental approach to music... all those dub and reggae elements... on the other side to me and my crew they are huge band just because they are totally different.

There's a bit of studio footage on that DVD. I remember seeing a 5150 all over that vid. So, my guess is every Soulfly album has had that amp on it. I remeber seeing Headbanger's Ball back in the day. They featured Sepultura in the studio for Chaos AD. Bitchin footage of Andy Wallace mixing the (then unreleased tracks) off Chaos. What a rush that was, hearing "Biotech" for the first time!:headbang:

There's a bit of studio footage on that DVD. I remember seeing a 5150 all over that vid. So, my guess is every Soulfly album has had that amp on it. I remeber seeing Headbanger's Ball back in the day. They featured Sepultura in the studio for Chaos AD. Bitchin footage of Andy Wallace mixing the (then unreleased tracks) off Chaos. What a rush that was, hearing "Biotech" for the first time!:headbang:

Goddamn, I would love to see that!

i remember when i was mixing the live stuff, I was like, jesus Max's tone sounds like shit, then I saw the dvd and the 57 is at a bizarre angle and theres a damn brazilian flag hangin over it. Don't try that at home kids.

I think Max uses Crate cabs with Cele's, too I believe. If you watch the DVD, there are all kinds of rigs from show to show. Max was previously listed on the Peavey site as an endorsed artist, but it says he plays a 5150. I've heard the XXX and the Blue Voodoo are also amps he's used. I think as far as the DVD goes, you see different rigs because I think they rent their gear when they go outside the US. A lot of the US shows have the same rigs, or close variants, whereas the overseas shows have similar rigs from show to show...Most notably, Crate BV's. I think Marc plays a Mesa rig on the DVD, too. With all the gain Max seems to use and the tone, I would think a BV or a XXX would get you there. I'd love to hear a Soulfly CD that was really well produced...Soulfly's first CD had some craptacular guitar tones, and then the next 2 were OK. I think Prophecy and Dark Ages has good tones, but the production is murky.

Nice job on this...The overall mix seems to "breathe" to my ears. Loads of stuff going on there. It must have been a trip to mix. The song hasn't completely hooked me yet, but looking forward to hearing the album.

There's something "earthy" going on in the low mids that I'm loving - nad rattling :D. Dig that snare too.

brett, he was using a hand held going more for attitude that tonal perfection, which I'm ok with actually, to me vocals are more about performance than every nuance being spot on.

I was told they wanted to keep a more organic drum sound (yes that old chestnut again) so you are hearing all natural kit just backed up slightly with the odd sample. Bass was actually waves gtr and the amp signal blended. I was digging this too when mixing. Berimbau setting, touch of 4k and 3.1 compression rolling off below 250 ;o)