SOULFLY

brett, he was using a hand held going more for attitude that tonal perfection, which I'm ok with actually, to me vocals are more about performance than every nuance being spot on.

I was told they wanted to keep a more organic drum sound (yes that old chestnut again) so you are hearing all natural kit just backed up slightly with the odd sample. Bass was actually waves gtr and the amp signal blended. I was digging this too when mixing. Berimbau setting, touch of 4k and 3.1 compression rolling off below 250 ;o)

and lol@Brett (check tes PM)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Andy!

It's awesome to FINALLY hear a recent Soulfly record that sounds pretty clear, but still thick. The last few had some good songs, but the production wasn't the greatest.

Conquer sounds very, very nice.

When soulfly played in Poland last time on the stage stood some Peavey XXX, as Max had an endorser contract signed with Peavey, but behind the scene his guitar was pluged into a huge rack with two 2-channel Mesa Dual Rectifiers.
Just my 2 cents.

Would max even know what gear he used? Does he even track gtrs on his albums nowadays? All the footage i have seen of him recently & including his horrible performance at hellfest this year would indicate his gtr playing skills have been reduced to that of an amoeba. I am so disappointed :-(

Would max even know what gear he used? Does he even track gtrs on his albums nowadays? All the footage i have seen of him recently & including his horrible performance at hellfest this year would indicate his gtr playing skills have been reduced to that of an amoeba. I am so disappointed :-(

However he may be lacking in technical skills he more than makes up for it with emotion and power. His music kicks the shit out of 75% of other metal out there.

However he may be lacking in technical skills he more than makes up for it with emotion and power. His music kicks the shit out of 75% of other metal out there.

First of all Sepultura is my favourite band but nowadays i think Max got sloppy...

I'd say he was killer until the 2d Soulfly album but then tour after tour he got really lazy, uninspired, and i don't feel that emotion/power anymore.

I listened to Sepultura stuff from Arise to Roots in the couple of days again (including live recordings) and nothing can beat this shit, but Max nowadays is really average IMO.

Has anyone here actually seen studio footage of Max tracking gtrs for the new Soulfly stuff or CC for that matter?

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Andy!

It's awesome to FINALLY hear a recent Soulfly record that sounds pretty clear, but still thick. The last few had some good songs, but the production wasn't the greatest.

Conquer sounds very, very nice.

hmm the new cd is truly awesome and has much more clarity but saying their older cds weren't the greatest i have to disagree with. i really liked prophecy and terry date did a good job and kept it sounding dirty and heavy. but that's just my opinion.

Has anyone here actually seen studio footage of Max tracking gtrs for the new Soulfly stuff or CC for that matter?

no and i bet u never will!
saw soulfly at bloodstock at the weekend and it was an embarressment!
Max hardly played his guitar and when he did it clearly wasnt coming out of the pa (just as well as he was just mashing the 4 strings and not even fretting anything).
Luckily his vocals were really good............oh no thats right they were rubbish too!
Kinda sad to see a once great riffer reduced to this, god only knows whats happened to him.
A friend of mine said he was exactly the same at CC gig recently.

I'm not really a Max or Soulfly fan so it doesn't much matter to me, but maybe they should have tracked to a click. The tempos on the bass break down part are all over the map and the drums don't feel tight at all. Bugs the hell outta me. Fortunately the bass tone is so massively awesome it sorta makes up for it.

edit: Man, listen to the three 16th notes on the kick right at 3:16. Please someone fix those!

I'm not really a Max or Soulfly fan so it doesn't much matter to me, but maybe they should have tracked to a click. The tempos on the bass break down part are all over the map and the drums don't feel tight at all. Bugs the hell outta me. Fortunately the bass tone is so massively awesome it sorta makes up for it.

edit: Man, listen to the three 16th notes on the kick right at 3:16. Please someone fix those!

yeah get over it, they wanted the live feel, no click, which is fair enough I think, just a different approach.