SOULFLY

Haha, well I can be a little sensitive to timing issues since I started as a drummer (or maybe that's the problem right there). It just seams like they could have at least gotten a better take. The bass and drums could be really grooving for that section and the bass is on it but the drums just fall short. Even without editing I can't imagine the drummer didn't have a better take in him. The minor tempo changes don't really bug me that much, but seams like there are a few places I hear blatant mistakes. Oh well, if they're happy, who the fuck cares what I think.

You did what they asked you to do. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't tell me that it if were up to you, you wouldn't have touched up some of those parts. No shame in a few minor edits right?

Anyway, sorry to poop in the thread a little bit. Mix is killer, nothing to really say there.

if a band wants a live feel how can you deny them of that. if they are good musicians a few blunders here and there are totally fine. at heart this is rock and roll, a little imperfection never hurt anyone.

if a band wants a live feel how can you deny them of that.

They should do what they want. Not trying to argue against that.

if they are good musicians a few blunders here and there are totally fine.

I'm making a similar point. I'm sure he is a great drummer, I just don't think this track represents that. But I'll say again, if the band and everyone involved is happy, who am I to argue. :headbang:

Things would have sounded alot worse if max had tracked guitars. What happened to him? Seriously is he suffering from an illness?
Why is he not playing properly live? The most recent show i saw with him was CC @ hellfest and he was barely playing anything other than the bottom string.
How do you deal with that in the studio? i mean the sensitivity around someones (in this case, one of Metal's Gods) ability...?

Man, where are you guys getting the "lack of emotion" bullshit. Max has more passion for this than anyone. I actually think the songwriting in Soulfly has progressed with each album. I've been cranking that Cavelara Conspiracy album every day for months, man. I don't hear any lack of emotion on that! FWIW I saw Marc Rizzo at a small college town during his solo tour a few months back. He played his solo stuff and sang Sepultura, Soulfly, and CC songs!!!! $10 show! There was about 50 people in the venue. Most of the crowd was oblivious to who this guy was! He was just up there ripping his flamenco stuff on a nylon stringed acoustic then he would go into Chaos AD!! He was using a JSX head and he had an old Ibanez TS9. It looked like an original. Something was wrong with his JSX (probably a blown tube) so he borrowed a Crate head from one of the opening bands. I can't remember what head it was, but it wasn't a blue voodoo. Anyway his tone was killer that night.

So I went to a Soulfly show last week. It was pretty much Rizzo on guitar. Max's guitar wasn't even audible during solos. So yeah, I guess he just wants to concentrate on the vocals. It was a baddass show. They played "Troops Of Doom." Just hella Sepultura stuff.

i seen soulfly in helsinki 23.3.09 and
yea i agree that he doesn`t play guitar always as u can see on this video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe8jRW86FjE&feature=related[/ame]

but i dont mind little mistakes on records or live its all about the attitude and max got it and lot! :headbang: they play last song eye for an eye he doesn`t played guitar at all and he fucking dives to the crowd :kickass: and i was in frontrow and i think they live shows getting better time after time even he doesnt play correctly but i think u got my point what i mean

couple words of records...all them sounded creat but i love prophecy guitar and bass sound its soo awesome:OMG: btw anyone know what they use on that record i mean amps

hmm the new cd is truly awesome and has much more clarity but saying their older cds weren't the greatest i have to disagree with. i really liked prophecy and terry date did a good job and kept it sounding dirty and heavy. but that's just my opinion.

Prophecy and 3 didn't sound too bad, you're right. I guess I was just thinking back to Dark Ages, which IMO was VERY murky.

I've noticed Max seems to be caring less and less about guitar, and that's fine if they go that way.

After listening to this disc more and more, the songwriting bores me quickly...It still sounds killer, though.

They played "Troops Of Doom.

$5 says i could play that song better than max now

shit, i even have a cover recorded to prove it...

personally, i've been pretty much underwhelmed by everything cavalera has touched this decade. i was totally pumped for that CC album, but it ended up just pissing me off. the songwriting was stale, the riffs weren't there, and igor's drums were edited to the point that they didn't even sound like igor anymore

I like this new album. As I also do with their old stuff. As also every Sepultura album....I only didn't like CC.
I also have seen Soulfly last year. Maybe he doesn't play guitar that often anymore, but he's still great and entertaining to watch.
Max has got a warm heart, rocks out on stage, totally enjoys it, entertains a room full of people...
I totally prefer checking that live then a Shining or Mayhem or whatever trying to piss all over you....

I still like Max, and he seemed really cool when I saw him at both Phoenix and Heathrow airports back in September last year (felt kinda cool being on the same plane as Max :heh:).

But Soulfly doesn't really do much for me, I like a few (mainly older) songs, but to me he'll never be as good as when he was in Sepultura. I mean he used to be a tight as fuck rhythm player, and to me it really shows how big a part of Sepultura he was for me, because they haven't released anything prior to him leaving that I like.

I just wish that with all these reunions going on lately that him and Igor will do a reunion tour with Sepultura and play material from Beneath The Remains, Arise and Chaos AD, etc.

I still like Max, and he seemed really cool when I saw him at both Phoenix and Heathrow airports back in September last year (felt kinda cool being on the same plane as Max :heh:).

But Soulfly doesn't really do much for me, I like a few (mainly older) songs, but to me he'll never be as good as when he was in Sepultura. I mean he used to be a tight as fuck rhythm player, and to me it really shows how big a part of Sepultura he was for me, because they haven't released anything prior to him leaving that I like.

I just wish that with all these reunions going on lately that him and Igor will do a reunion tour with Sepultura and play material from Beneath The Remains, Arise and Chaos AD, etc.

+1.
I have a big ass Sepultura vinyl collection. I absolutely love their old stuff!
I just fear that not only would Max struggle with the guitars for some of their older stuff, but Igor has also gotten incredibly sloppy, just listen to the live album, I think it's called Under A Pale Grey Sky.

Personally, I think the Conquer album is the best Soulfly album to date. Production is great :worship:, especially with the old-school vibe breathing from the entire album. A back to the roots approach, similar to Machine head's the blackening.

Just wish Max would write some more compelling and less repetitive lyrics. On Conquer, the lyrics never exceed the level of a 4-year old :loco:.

So hows that different to anything hes written since arise?

First off i don't think his stuff in Beneath the Remains sounds smarter than the stuff from Arise and after that :)

Then his lyrics back in the days (Beneath the Remains -> Roots) were no poetry or anything, more like very straight-forward, down to earth lyrics, but i think they were good.
Now his lyrics are just a self-parody of what he used to write.

"necromancer....dirty fucker..." that was one of max's lyrics off Bestial Devistation: classic LOL!!

+1.
I have a big ass Sepultura vinyl collection. I absolutely love their old stuff!
I just fear that not only would Max struggle with the guitars for some of their older stuff, but Igor has also gotten incredibly sloppy, just listen to the live album, I think it's called Under A Pale Grey Sky.

Dude there is absolutely no chance he could play that stuff now!!! and i guess thats why i am sooo disappointed with him now. He was my idol when i was 18...