The Official Food Thread

Hey Laura! I also prefer medium as it's kinda the golden middle, but sometimes they make it still too raw.
Raw horse meat? Like tartare raw?

Yes, as in "straight off the horse's corpse" raw. It's served like this:

basashi_1.jpg

My recipe for Mulligatawny soup:

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts/thighs, cubed
48 oz. chicken broth
16 oz. vegetable broth
4 carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 tbsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1/2 cup flour
1 cup rice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Granny Smith apples, diced
1 cup heavy cream

Saute onions in olive oil on medium-high heat till translucent, then saute garlic for 1 minute. Throw in flour and chicken, stirring till slightly browned, then stir in carrots and celery. Throw in broth and spices, bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat, covered, for 30 minutes. Then throw in rice and let simmer, covered, another 30 minutes. Stir in apples and cream, let simmer for 15 minutes uncovered. Enjoy.

As far as steaks go, I always get mine medium rare, preferably with steak fries to soak up the blood. That, along with a tall beer is a meal from the gods.

I missed the free pancakes from iHop. :(

I don't know how meat could be eaten rare. I had a bite of a friend's steak tartare once and threw up. I don't want to see any blood in my food when I'm eating it. :rofl: And the texture felt like brains.

I don't know how meat could be eaten rare. I had a bite of a friend's steak tartare once and threw up. I don't want to see any blood in my food when I'm eating it. :rofl: And the texture felt like brains.

It's not really blood that your eating when you see red juices from beef. Look at this article if your interested. Here is a highlight.

Nearly all blood is removed from meat during slaughter, which is also why you don’t see blood in raw “white meat”

Red meats, such as beef, are composed of quite a bit of water. This water, mixed with a protein called myoglobin, ends up comprising most of that red liquid.

The Red Juice in Raw Red Meat is Not Blood

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/

There's a difference between raw meat and meat cooked medium rare, which is how I like my steaks. I wouldn't want a burger medium rare, however.

There's a difference between raw meat and meat cooked medium rare, which is how I like my steaks. I wouldn't want a burger medium rare, however.

Right tartare is raw not medium rare. Medium rare definitely doesn't work on burgers makes the bread all soggy and gross mess. Tbh, I like my meat really dry and overcooked.

Cooked Cassoulet last night, a hearty French dish and one of my favorites.

2 large onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic
1 lb. chicken breasts, cubed
1 lb. pork loin, cubed
1 kielbasa, sliced
1/2 lb. bacon, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup white wine
2 cups chicken/vegetable broth
64 oz. white/canellini beans
1 tbsp. herbes de provence (oregano, basil, thyme, sage)
salt & pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

Fry bacon till crisp, then set aside, keeping grease in pan. Add olive oil and sautee onions and garlic, then brown pork and chicken, then throw in everything else, bring to a boil then simmer for 2 hours. Done.

I made Mr. Noodles fit for a king, simply by adding various seaonings like season salt, smoked applewood seasoning, pepper, and garlic powder.

I AM THE KING OF SPICES.

French themed dinner party last night. I was charged with soup and salad. Did smaller individual portions as if catering. French onion soup. Pretty standard. Seasoned, cubed, and cooked a couple of rib eye steaks and let it sit overnight for the flavor to develop. Came out good.

Other dish was a spin on a Nicoise salad. Made cups out of phyllo. Has a white wine/Dijon potato salad underneath, haricot verte, egg, Nicoise olives, heirloom tomato, butter lettuce tossed in a light Dijon vinaigrette. Instead of canned tuna I seared a tuna loin and laid that on top with a touch of coarse salt. Bangin'.

I made a delicious Chicken Piccata with a White Wine and Caper Sauce.

Very simple to make to.

Chicken on the skillet.

r7sirs.jpg

Everything Plated with some asparagus, btw don't ever buy asparagus from the can, I made that mistake this time, and never again.

30rqzys.jpg

I recommend everyone to try this out, super good. If you don't have wine just use a little extra lemon juice.

Chicken Piccata Ingredients:
boneless skinless chicken breast
salt and fresh ground black pepper as needed
cayenne to taste
all-purpose flour for dredging
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon capers, drained (tip: for more intense flavor, mince 1 teaspoon of the capers, leaving the rest whole)
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water or chicken stock
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in 1/4-in slices
2 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped