The Official Food Thread

My grandmothers "Ishli Kufta"
CIMG3168_zps669fcb49.jpg

CIMG3169_zpsbb44c93f.jpg

------------------------------

Just had this for lunch. The "Sheepherder" from Pasadena Sandwich Company ...
CIMG3218_zps7edbab63.jpg

Corned Beef, Pastrami, Turkey Breast, Beef Salami, Swiss Cheese & Russian Dressing on Rye Bread. MMmmmmm. And this is the first time i've been served a slice of orange with a sandwich ... weird.

Hah! I wasn't sure what the outer part/shell was called so i had to look it up ... it's "bulgur"? With bomb ass seasoned ground beef inside. You take a little bite out, and squeeze some lemon juice in it and devour the rest ... bomb!

Here's a better description, although the one pictured in this article doesn't look too good, lol .....

http://www.armenianow.com/news/20270/receipt_of_armenian_ishli_kufta

Hah! I wasn't sure what the outer part/shell was called so i had to look it up ... it's "bulgur"? With bomb ass seasoned ground beef inside. You take a little bite out, and squeeze some lemon juice in it and devour the rest ... bomb!

Here's a better description, although the one pictured in this article doesn't look too good, lol .....

http://www.armenianow.com/news/20270/receipt_of_armenian_ishli_kufta

That sounds awesome! I think I'll try and make this at some point, I'll take some pictures when I do.

Have to say I've never heard of bulgur, so not sure where to buy that... I'm sure I can figure it out.

That sounds awesome! I think I'll try and make this at some point, I'll take some pictures when I do.

Have to say I've never heard of bulgur, so not sure where to buy that... I'm sure I can figure it out.

:kickass:

The only thing that's not on point in that article was that it was brought to Armenia by the Syrians muuuuch longer than 10 years ago. They've been making Ishli Kufta there sine the 50's.

Today I'm cooking some beef with garlic, spinach and my own dumplings. Hopefully the dumplings will come out better than last time, I mean fuck, that was no domplings in the house when I did them the first time.

My wife's mother sent a package of all sorts of stuff from Germany and this was inside and holy shit I've never tasted such flavour. Plus she's technically not allowed to send uncanned meat here so it was even better because FORBIDDEN MEATS. I kept the bag for reference and still go to it occasionally to smell the remnants of that flavour. I want more but chances of finding it anywhere here are extremely slim.

IMG_3364_zps1083f036.jpg

went to a Brazilian rodizio grill on wilshire blvd.

on long metal rods they continuously bring you the most succulent, quality variety of fire grilled meats like steaks, ribs, chicken, lamb

marinated in simple salt, herbs, a little butter, with a perfect char on the outside and juicy red on the inside...

until you beg them to stop as your stomach is about to burst. ive never been so full. my next shit will be epic

went to a Brazilian rodizio grill on wilshire blvd.

on long metal rods they continuously bring you the most succulent, quality variety of fire grilled meats like steaks, ribs, chicken, lamb

marinated in simple salt, herbs, a little butter, with a perfect char on the outside and juicy red on the inside...

until you beg them to stop as your stomach is about to burst. ive never been so full. my next shit will be epic

Yum!

Simple ingredients, basic seasoning, sometimes that's all you need!

Chicken Pasta Salad

Really cheap to make and packed with flavor, I don't know why I don't make this more often.

I added some Cayenne Pepper for a little bit of heat, really made this taste good.

I shredded the chicken breast with 2 forks so if it doesn't look like there is chicken that's why, but it's there.

RO6EeMR.jpg

Made this for lunch today, only takes about 10 minutes to make.
Take 2 slices of bread and put them in the oven middle rack at 350 degrees.
While the bread is baking take a package of Roast Beef and 1 can of French Onion soup and place it all into a sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
Shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes.

zpVS6yh.jpg

Once at a simmer or 5 minutes has passed (don't let your bread burn) take out the bread and place roast beef on one side of the bread, and place 2 pieces of Swiss cheese on top.
(Optional) Place raw onions down first before the Beef and Swiss cheese, for extra crunch and more oniony flavor.
Place back into the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Should look like this:

wVjwu5D.jpg

Then use the leftover French Onion soup as an Au Jus for dipping your sandwich.

Z1wGAIz.jpg