The Official Movie Thread

i do think baker (the director) can be kinda simplistic/transparent on a thematic level sometimes, borderline sentimental even, but yeah it's a pretty funny, lived-in movie that seems to care about its characters without sugarcoating them. i find the iphone thing kinda gimmicky but he has a way of shooting LA that seems pretty unique to me, it was even more apparent in his previous film STARLET. it is a good ending, kinda dardennes-esque.

Yeah. I was iffy about the iPhone thing as well, but he made it work. Also that car wash scene was pretty well-done. Got anxiety because I didn't want them to get caught then realized what I was getting anxiety over (s damn blowjob scene) and felt silly. He did do a great job shooting. I'll have to check out Starlet.

I want to watch The Lobster tonight but it's a little too late for that. I have avoided trailers and reviews to have minimal expectations for it but curiosity is getting the best of me.

i thought THE LOBSTER was hilarious haha. some people i respect thought it was garbage though. i forget if i posted it here already but these were my favourites of 2015, THE LOBSTER's there in 8th. TANGERINE would've made top 50 or something.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
i thought THE LOBSTER was hilarious haha. some people i respect thought it was garbage though. i forget if i posted it here already but these were my favourites of 2015, THE LOBSTER's there in 8th. TANGERINE would've made top 50 or something.

I loved The Lobster. Thought it was really funny. They did overuse the Shosty's 8th quartet though.

Demon Seed (Donald Cammell, 1977) - Sci-fi with balls. Imagine getting raped by a super computer. It'd probably be something like this. This film is a testament to one, how great an actress Julie Christie is seeing as for the majority of the film she's interacting with a disembodied voice (and an ominous one at that) and two, how great a director Cammell was in being able to craft moments of tension out of such a scenario. The Cronenberg comparisons are inevitable given the theme of the collision of machine and flesh and the other DC would have been a good choice to direct as well but Cammell brings his own quirkiness to the material. This would make a great double bill with Richard Stanley's Hardware (1990) as the influence is obvious. Not just in the idea of a woman being trapped in a confined area with an out of control piece of technology but some of the psychedelic visuals on display in Stanley's film are reminiscent of the computerized imagery seen here. Excellent robotic effects and again, that voice... "Tonight I will impregnate you".

Samaritan Girl (Kim Ki-duk, 2004) - This is another case of an Asian film being slightly misrepresented on its DVD cover. Released on the Tartan Asia Extreme label, its advertised as "a dark tale of revenge". To be sure, its a dark tale indeed, very dark, and revenge does play a huge role later in the film but still, anyone going into it expecting an Asian Death Wish or something along those lines are bound to be disappointed. Told in three parts, its an unusual, highly symbolic fusing of teenage prostitution, religious allegory, strange acts of penance and cathartic violence. Entirely original and one of Kim's strongest films to date although the character motivations are bound to leave many more than a little puzzled.

Last edited:

Nice. So much from that list I haven't seen. Anomaslia looks cool... is that like claymation? I love animated films. I'll have to check some of these out.

I haven't watched the Lobster yet, but I'll gte to that maybe next weekend. I just finished watching Killers (2014). It's an Indonesian and Japanese film about two killers (one in Japan and one in Indonesia) and the relationship they form over the internet around killing.

Nice. So much from that list I haven't seen. Anomaslia looks cool... is that like claymation? I love animated films. I'll have to check some of these out.

it's stop-motion, like FANTASTIC MR. FOX or THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE XMAS or w/e. it's by charlie kaufman of ETERNAL SUNSHINE/ADAPTATION/BEING JOHN MALKOVICH/SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK fame, if you're a fan you'll probably like it and if you're not you probably won't, he's an acquired taste and this is no different. it's not his best work by any means but i really didn't have a firm number 1 choice for last year and that's the one i was most fascinated by i guess.

hmm i could maybe narrow the list down to a few priority recommendations if i had a better idea of your tastes.

Yeah Eternal Sunshine is one of my favorite movies. I knew the director's name sounded familiar. I like stop-motion as well. My movie tastes are all over the place it seems. I don't have any place to organize it so I just browse look up stuff and watch. Tend to like horror movies, foreign films, psychological, "coming of age," etc.... from the top of my head OldBoy Trilogy, The Selfish Giant, The Hunt, Far From Men... yeah. I'm not very good with thinking of movies from the top of my head. :lol: There should be a movie site that you can keep track of this stuff. It's hard to otherwise.

I do have a soft spot for animated films though. Like I saw this one last year, and though I thought the plot was whatever, I just liked watching it because of the graphics and stuff.

Edit: That Taxi movie sounds cool. Just a collection of stories people tell the driver?
When I get organized with this stuff I'll have to find a movie app. Seems like a more precise way to find good movies.

nice. i haven't seen 'the hunt' but i like the rest.

i'll bombard you with recs and you can pick and choose lol:

any sion sono stuff might hit the spot, he's probably the closest i've found to a live action animé director (and OLDBOY is kind of like live action animé to me). TAG on my 2015 list is by him, it's a mess but really great in places. LOVE EXPOSURE is the best one i've seen but it's completely fucking insane and offputting for some people.

there's actually a shitload of great korean genre movies i could recommend: MEMORIES FOR MURDER is one of the best police procedurals i've seen, SNOWPIERCER by the same guy is stupid as fuck but great fun (post-apocalyptic train thriller), BLEAK NIGHT is a really good unsung one (lives up to the title). koreans even do more basic action movies way better than hollywood does these days, they just go fucking batshit, no restraint or good taste in there. A HARD DAY from last year is a fun one.

re: animated movies, i highly recommend everything by satoshi kon, particularly PERFECT BLUE (basically an animated MULHOLLAND DRIVE from 3 years earlier, if you like david lynch), MILLENNIUM ACTRESS and PAPRIKA. definitely check out don hertzfeldt's IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY (the full length version) as well, about a stick-figure called bill who struggles with memory loss and his encroaching mortality. given you like MONONOKE you should check out miyazaki's recent swansong THE WIND RISES too, it's a little different from his older weirder stuff but an uber emotional experience. MARY AND MAX is a good one from down under, with philip seymour hoffman voicing the main character.

i think i said this before but check out KES if you like THE SELFISH GIANT, as it probably provided the blueprint. also andrea arnold's WUTHERING HEIGHTS, the dardennes' THE SON, mike leigh's NAKED - all intense working class dramas that will probably stay with me forever.

as for FAR FROM MEN (good movie btw!), i could go on all day recommending great westerns, but if we keep it to last year i'd say check out THE HOMESMAN (and UNFORGIVEN if you haven't seen that, as this is basically tommy lee jones' version of eastwood's classic methinks) and BONE TOMAHAWK, a 'cannibal western' directed by the guy from metal band realmbuilder. my all-time fav western is probably MCCABE AND MRS MILLER or MY DARLING CLEMENTINE.

i realise i linked to the letterboxd list which doesn't contain my reviews. if you can be bothered reading any of my ramblings then go here instead. also my list for the cream of the previous five years here (i'd change it around quite a bit now but it's all good stuff).

you should check out criticker or letterboxd if you're genuinely looking for ways of keeping track of movies you see, both are super useful. criticker actually has probably the best recommendation engine i've ever seen for anything, the accuracy of its rating predictions is uncanny at times (it does need a sizeable sample of movie ratings to work though). i wish there was a music version.

edit: oh, yeah, TAXI is cool. i'd probably recommend seeing THIS IS NOT A FILM first as it provides the context. the director was under house arrest because iran is fascist as fuck about what cinema it tolerates, and THIS IS NOT A FILM is basically him in his house trying to make a movie without going outside or having any crew, and it's all just one giant cheeky fuck you to the system, you get the impression he could get arrested at any moment. he supposedly smuggled the movie out of the country inside a cake, there are quite a few little legends surrounding it. TAXI is kind of like a follow up where he's actually allowed to go outside. it's hard to describe how fun it is without you seeing it for yourself.

i know i was kind of in the minority but i actually really liked the latest one from park chan-wook (OLDBOY director), STOKER. twas his first american movie (complete with nicole kidman, hollywood's latest darling mia wasikowska, etc) which probably alienated a lot of people, and it's more like a heavily gothic tribute to hitchcock than anything like his earlier style, but i had fun with it. also it was written by wentworth miller AKA michael schofield from PRISON BREAK, which i found hilarious when i found out.

@no country for old wainds Thanks for all the recommendations! I've seen Snowpiercer actually. The plot makes no sense but goddamn is that movie visually pretty. Loved Perfect Blue as well. Use to be really into anime and that's actually one of my favorites. The other stuff on that list I'll definitely check out.

Also, yes you did mention KES! I actually dled Naked but forgot why. :lol: I have to open a word document for this.

Alright I made a criticker but will probably take awhile to be consistent with it. Looks cool though.

also, I liked the Stoker as well (I also liked the music on it too it was done by Clint Mansell and he's just great at making movie soundtracks). I liked Takashi Miike's other movie before that more though... 13 Assassins I believed it was called. It was only out in select theatres here, but it was an awesome action film.

Korean cinema rules, I totally agree with rms. Most of the modern cinema I really like tends to be Asian in general.

The Israeli film Big Bad Wolves is a cool modern film that I would recommend for anyone into psychological thriller mystery films that have great scripts and cinematography above all else.

i wasn't massively into it but i believe it was tarantino's favourite movie of that year. it was kinda like an israeli version of PRISONERS i thought.

asian genre films are generally so great. i've been going through johnnie to's filmography just lately, the hong kong director known for his action movies like THE MISSION, EXILED, ELECTION, DRUG WAR etc. he's an unheralded master, it's so refreshing to see films where the set pieces fully engage with the environment and have personality and a clear sense of geography and masses of creativity, no matter what genre he's dipping into. i've seen him do romcoms, musicals, gangster movies, cat-and-mouse police procedurals, screwball comedies, surreal satires, sports movies, and they're pretty much all totally epic. he worked a lot with tsui hark in his earlier days, the guy who did ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA, A BETTER TOMORROW, PEKING OPERA BLUES etc.

91Wogg0WjxL._SX342_.jpg

Reactions: CiG