The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

I prefer Arnold to all of them, especially Stallone even though I enjoyed his Rambo films (especially First Blood, which is a masterpiece to me) and Cobra, but not much can hold a candle to Commando, Terminator, Running Man, Raw Deal, Predator or Conan The Barbarian.

But actually Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood are my other two favourites of all time, along with Charlton Heston. Chuck Norris is also one of the greats in action.

Personally I also love the early action films of Chow Yun-fat, Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan.

Come on, Commando over Cobra? Stallone doesn't shop there and he ain't taking shit. Rambo, first one and the 2008 one specifically, are so amazingly over the top it's almost surreal. He just points his machine gun in their general direction and everything dies, including the dust mites likely enough. Chuck is great, from Delta Force to The Hitman. There's a lot of good Asian action stars as you said too. Toshiro Mifune is the greatest of that bunch in my opinion.

Reactions: CiG
I would think you'd say First Blood II is the over the top one? Definitely is the case for me anyway, but yes I have to take Commando over Cobra. Not just because of Arnold but also the awesome cast of villains, Vernon Wells rules man. Mad Max 2!
Honestly, Commando is my childhood.
I grew up on Arnie. Terminator 2 is as far as I can recall my first film as a kid of about 5.

Favourite actors in order include: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Charlton Heston, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Pam Grier, Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep.

I honestly can't even think of an action film actor more overly masculine than Arnold Schwarzenegger.

PS: Toshiro rules!

Last edited:
To each their own I guess, Cobra is just next level cheddar cheese though. Arnold is great, one of the greatest, but not quite the pinnacle in my book. You've got a lot of good favorites, and I agree. I would add Harrison Ford, Sam Jackson, Christopher Lee, Sean Connery, Marlon Brando, Jack Nicholson, Gene Wilder, Donald Sutherland, Kurt Russell, and Clark Gable. Oh, without a hint of doubt, Schwarznegger is the most absurdly manly action star.

No other actor could have nor will ever do Conan any justice, a lot of that has to do with the period it was filmed in too.

I like Samuel L. Jackson, but he was most active during periods of cinema that don't do that much for me in comparison to my favourite periods. The rest I agree with 100% but just not for my top ten. Kurt Russell is also a legend.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Arnold played a lot of roles nobody else could fill, he was eminently unique, and the 80's were an eminently unique time for films. You ever hear that Blackie Lawless could've played the T-1000 in Terminator 2? That would've been so great. They didn't cast him because Arnold felt Blackie was too tall (which he wasn't kidding about, Blackie's a natural 6 foot 4 inches, while Arnold is only 6 foot 2 inches by comparison). That's okay, but Sam Jackson's another one of those actors that I really love just because he can do serious, well-layered characters amazingly, and then flip on the switch to full "SAY WHAT MOTHERFUCKER?!" mode in two seconds flat. Pulp Fiction was his peak without a hint of dubiousness. Kurt Russell is great, whether it's in Tombstone or Escape From L.A., the man just exudes testosterone.

Kurt Russell's The Thing is my absolute favourite, but I can't go passed Snake Plissken.

I agree about Jackson by the way, his performance in Pulp Fiction is a certified classic performance. Did you like his take on Shaft?