The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

nice thats good. I used to be able to do the whole Dr Dre "2001" album haha, but I grew outta that.

I can however do Outkast B.O.B.

p.s., i wont lie, I love Outkast so much. deffinately one of my favorite bands of all time

I like A Tribe Called Quest quite a bit, but beyond their discography, I've only dabbled a tiny bit in rap and hip hop.

The whole genre of Hip Hop has been unsatisfactory to me.

Wow you're wrong... to say neither Illmatic nor Liquid Swords is a gangster when both are cited as staples of the genre is retarded, not too mention Represent (illmatic) and Gold (Liquid Swords) are some of the most gangsta's songs I've ever heard. The other four are either big influences on gangster rap or mixtures of conscious and gangsta rap. Do your homework patnah

aimed @ metal_wrath

GZA is not gangsta rap and Nas Illmatic is not gangsta rap even if the following album was totally gangsta rap. Just because they include some gangster subjects doesn't mean it is gangsta rap. I was just letting this dude know some of those albums are not gangsta rap, not that it really matters.

I like A Tribe Called Quest quite a bit, but beyond their discography, I've only dabbled a tiny bit in rap and hip hop.

hey omni ive been waiting for u 2 be back so you could recommend more bands like siouxsie, joy division, my bloody valentine, jesus and the mary chain, cocteau twins kinda stuff...thanks!

I don't remember what I've previously recommended here right now because I've been drinking.

The Pop Group
Slowdive
The Comsat Angels
Magazine
Lovesliescrushing
Coil
Julee Cruise
Swervedriver
The Birthday Party
This Heat
Public Image Ltd.
Wire
This Mortal Coil
Sad Lovers and Giants
The Sound
Ride

Some of those might not be what you're looking for. I'd recommend the earlier material by any of these bands.

I don't remember what I've previously recommended here right now because I've been drinking.

The Pop Group
Slowdive
The Comsat Angels
Magazine
Lovesliescrushing
Coil
Julee Cruise
Swervedriver
The Birthday Party
This Heat
Public Image Ltd.
Wire
This Mortal Coil
Sad Lovers and Giants
The Sound
Ride

Some of those might not be what you're looking for. I'd recommend the earlier material by any of these bands.

All good choices though I have to check some of them out... I know some decent post-punk in addition

The Fall (favorite)
Gang of Four (fucking fantastic)
Pere Ubu (Easily one of my favorite artists)
Mission of Burma (decent)
Swell Maps
The Feelies
Devo (the first album really)
Television
Meat Puppets
Minutemen
Husker Du
Violent Femmes
Wipers
The Chameleons
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
The Sound
Echo and the Bunnymen
Swans

If you end up liking Coil make sure to check out Throbbing Ghistle (the first industrial band with the main guy in Coil who died, can't remember his name)

Ha I like all of them. I think Eminem is one of the most innovative MC's ever when looking at his early material. If you ever get the chance to listen to his really really old shit (before he had a deal) it has some incredible word play, but never went anywhere because he had Nas's exact flow and style. I like LIl' Wayne because he's fucking ridiculous and can play the American public into making millions, while Immortal Technique can't do shit.

Wow, I didn't expect that. You are dead on with saying it sounds like Nas. Is there a place to buy this early stuff or does it just float around on the internets? Also, Illmatic is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um I know they've reissued it so may be on ebay, amazon, or whatever. I know that the original release was sold out of his car, but with how big of a name he is i'm sure the reissue is in steady supply.

i like lots of stuff mentioned on this page for once. congrats guys! don't really like vdgg though

i've been listening to nothing but surfer rosa recently. i think doolittle is kind of mediocre (too much precious art-school 'cool' & meaningless pop hooks in there) but surfer rosa is a fucking masterwork and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Dazed and Brutal have you heard Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx II?

Also if you like Southern rap definitely listen to UGK

Yea I mentioned UGK somewhere in this thread, Ridin Dirty is a gem. And yes I have heard Only Built for Cuban Linx II. I think its good, especially the beats. The only qualms I have with the album is Raekwon and Ghostface (considering he's on most of the cd too) love making no sense. I feel like they try to be way too wordy and end up going no where with it.

I suggest you listen to the new Ghostface it's a lot different then his earlier albums, but he rocks it.

i like lots of stuff mentioned on this page for once. congrats guys! don't really like vdgg though

I used to love VDGG and they have some cool bits in their music, but their use of the saxophone as a main instrument(more like a weapon of mass destruction,lol) can be quite grating.Pretty much early King Crimson on a collision course with Genesis, all this taken to the nth level of psychedelia and weirdness.