The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

I own one album from The Smiths and it did not convince me enough to explore them further at this point. Just seems like black metaller approved non black metal through all the years I've been here (and even in the local scene here). The Smiths, The Cure (although I like what I have heard of that band), all that type crap

Like all pop, it either grabs you or it doesn't, but the guitar work is so inventive, it has that happy yet melancholic vibe I love. The lyrics have that weird childlike simplicity but with complex themes - a bit like Kurt Cobain in that regard.

I fundamentally disagree. Pop depends on catchy hooks. Do you judge jazz based on whether it grabs you or not?

I judge all music this way. Depending on the circumstance, I do take other factors into account such as technical prowess with something like jazz or the drumming of certain pieces but overall it boils down to this:

If it grabs me or I like it, it's good
If it doesn't grab me or I dislike it, it's garbage

Music can drift from one category to the other over the years as tastes change, but those categories remain static.

Music is a subset of art. It is a subjective format. There are objective parts of it (scales, modes, key signatures, etc) of course, but overall someone is going to enjoy something I don't for different reasons.

i don't approach different genres different ways either, music is always about emotion+personality+atmosphere for me. the route differs wildly but the goal of listening is always fundamentally the same.

i also don't like the smiths so i guess i'm actually 100% agreeing with oz. it had to happen eventually! i do respect their songwriting and guitarwork etc but glib sarcastic wit and sentimental moping can't coherently coexist to my ears, it just feels contrived. i also hate joy division when they're in depressive-but-danceable mode. *shrug*

Reactions: The Ozzman
Been on a bit of a female vocal kick today. I'm typically not a big fan in Hard Rock/Metal, but I'm really starting to appreciate them in folky or gothic type stuff. Anna Von Hausswolff, Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance), Chelsea Wolfe, Faun, and:

Been on a bit of a female vocal kick today. I'm typically not a big fan in Hard Rock/Metal, but I'm really starting to appreciate them in folky or gothic type stuff. Anna Von Hausswolff, Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance), Chelsea Wolfe, Faun, and:

Some of the vocals, e.g. around 6:20, sound like joiking and remind me of Mari Boine, are you already familiar with her music? One of my favourite songs by her:

As for other folky stuff, have you already heard Bergtatt, Garmarna, Gjallarhorn, Gåte, Hedningarna (some songs and the entire album "Hippjokk" feature male vocals, though), Två fisk och en fläsk (I know, the usual suspects from me)?

One of my current faves by Gåte:

But I also like this older version of the same song by Agnes Buen Garnås and Jan Garbarek very much:

Since you also mentioned Lisa Gerrard, you might like Mila Mar, at least their first album "Nova". Here's the title track: