The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

@CiG maybe? really good 80s inspired pop song

Every so often I am shown a band / artist that has a fucking fantastic single and the rest of their material just doesn't quite hold up

Pale Waves has been this for me so far, love Noises so much, but the rest I've heard has been pretty much just ok

Foxes was the same thing with Body Talk

Familiar with Pale Waves. Not much of a fan overall even if "Television Romance" is fucking amazing, could listen to it 100 times in a row with no complaint, it's placed firmly in my pop music playlist for when I do stuff around the house or play vidya, and "The Tide" is also a very good song IMO.

My problem with these newer "muh 80's obsession" bands is that they usually end up sounding like a weird mixture of 90's pop and modern indie pop. I dig a lot about Pale Waves musically but I find the vocal style and arrangements to be a bit too 2019 if you know what I mean. Just too modern and hollow. If you're going to claim you're inspired by Madonna and your singing completely lacks sauciness, lust or an edge of some kind, you gotta wonder if you aren't mistaking being influenced musically for an obsession with 80's stylism and costumes etc.

Anyway, yeah I absolutely love "Television Romance."

I don't mind some of the shamelessly retro stuff. There's a great band I forget their name who make 80's aerobics pop a la Sandy Farina. The stuff I tend to dislike is the retro-wave bands who try to be dark and intellectual about it. Usually turns out like shit. Pop should always be catchy, not gloomy and droning.

tho as far as 80s inspired pop goes i still just find myself always gravitating towards emotion anyways

i should listen to more stuff like la roux tho

and need to do a deeper dive into actual 80s pop anyways

Reactions: CiG