The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

hey thanks ya'll!. also WAIF , its none of them, its something that has been brewing slowly for a while now, The main influences being Rachmaninoff Solo Piano, Radiohead/Pink Floyd and Chick Corea ( not the latin style he has, just his Rhodes/Piano playing). As odd as it may sound.

@RMS: this is the internet, irl when people talk about sports I just don't say anything. But I do see the bizarre logic and it does bother me a bit.

Anyhow, about to go to bed. I've started reading the new WoT book. I must say I'm enjoying it. I don't know how much of what I've read so far was written by the new guy, but I'm noticing a slight decrease in the number of things that are described as being "hard as stone." I sense Jordan's presence in the unrelenting description of clothing, however.

Sounds pretty good actually. If it's not deliberately overstated, since it's usually is.

@Grant:Cool blog, dude. Nice Magma reference in the title:kickass:

Hi DarkBliss, long time no see. Good to see you aren't dead and so forth.

I'm currently sitting down with my first Schöfferhofer of the evening, and enjoying the peace and quiet of an empty house.

Hi DarkBliss, long time no see. Good to see you aren't dead and so forth.

I'm currently sitting down with my first Schöfferhofer of the evening, and enjoying the peace and quiet of an empty house.

Yea, thanks, it feels good to be back. Having become increasingly bored with this place, I marked my departure from the board with a giant trollfest(months ago) , but now that I've returned, although nothing has really changed around here, it's still fun to hang around.
I've got a new job that doesn't allow to use the internet at my leisure, so I don't know if I'll be able to come by a lot, though.

Anyhow, about to go to bed. I've started reading the new WoT book. I must say I'm enjoying it. I don't know how much of what I've read so far was written by the new guy, but I'm noticing a slight decrease in the number of things that are described as being "hard as stone." I sense Jordan's presence in the unrelenting description of clothing, however.
Are women still either moistening thinking about Rand or being colossal bitches? Are they still tugging at their braid and crossing their arms under their breasts? I made it through the first couple of these books but some of his writing style was just so bad.

Braid-tugging still happens. Some of his writing is awful, some of it is okay...I've kept going for the plot. I started reading these before I could tell the difference between good and bad writing, so I feel compelled to keep going.

Actually, this is the first book I've read in a couple months. I sort of stopped. Can anyone recommend a good general history of the Roman Empire? (looking at you, Zeph) I've resolved to teach myself some history while I'm out of school, since it's something I can easily learn myself.

Not the Roman Empire but The Thirty Years War by CV Wedgewood ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Thirty-Years-Review-Books-Classics/dp/1590171462]link[/ame]) is really good. Interesting subject, badass characters and good writing.

Anything by John Lynch is pretty good too

I actually haven't read a full history (753 BCE to 1453 CE is a LONG span) as a secondary source, but Rubicon by Tom Holland is a great look at the Fall of the Republic (133 to 31 BCE).

My problem is that my knowledge of Roman history is so fragmented that the most logical approach seems to be to just start at the beginning.

@cookie: yeah, what I learned about the 30 Years War last year sounded pretty crazy. I'll check it out.

Sounds pretty good actually. If it's not deliberately overstated, since it's usually is.

@Grant:Cool blog, dude. Nice Magma reference in the title:kickass:

well I can assure you that it is my intention and goal to make it sound as I described it. I ope its not overstated, but I dont really think I could judge m own work that way regardless

Not saying it should be. I don't care about baseball, but if you hold a gun to my head I'm a Mets fan like my parents.

Yeah. But how do you measure how "good" a team is except by their likelihood of winning? And by that quite objective measure the Yankees are a better team than the Red Sox. And yet the idiots around here genuinely believe the Red Sox are better at baseball. If they were rooting for their home team out of civic pride I wouldn't give a shit, but the logic they use is fucking warped.

I hate to say this but it is true.As much as I loved the Red Sox and hate the Yankees the Yankees have played better baseball than the Red Sox for most of the teams history.I do root for the Red Sox out of civic pride but most of their fans are dumb.I was talking to a Red Sox fan in my class today and I asked him before 2004 what was the last time the Red Sox win the world series.He didn't know the question and I said 1918.He has said stuff like the Red Sox were better than the Yankees when the yanks have won more world series but I am not a trader so I rooted for the Red Sox.He been a fan since 2006 where I have been a fan since I went to my first game in 2003 and watch them break the curse of the bambino in the last game of the 04 world series.