The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Just saw the Feb 14 episode, and someone just uploaded tonights episode on youtube.

God Damn

That is all I have to say.

Jesus Christ, literally 3 minutes in the game and Watson has over $20k

Wagered $6432 for the first one (and got it), wagered $1246 for the second one and nailed it while "being unsure". Holy crap this is so impressive.

Trebek said Watson gets the clues in the form of a text file. If it gets the text file as soon as the clue pops up on the screen, then it's already scanned the text and probably found the correct response before Ken and Brad have even finished reading the clue. That's my guess anyway, I don't actually know when Watson starts "reading" the text.

Jesus Christ, literally 3 minutes in the game and Watson has over $20k

Wagered $6432 for the first one (and got it), wagered $1246 for the second one and nailed it while "being unsure". Holy crap this is so impressive.
I liked Alex's reaction to the first wager, "I won't ask..." :lol:

Trebek said Watson gets the clues in the form of a text file. If it gets the text file as soon as the clue pops up on the screen, then it's already scanned the text and probably found the correct response before Ken and Brad have even finished reading the clue. That's my guess anyway, I don't actually know when Watson starts "reading" the text.

They seem to show his answers on screen a little before the buzzes, and they never seem to change once they're displayed. I assume that means all his computation's done by then, otherwise he'd presumably still be adjusting the weights of his candidate answers during the ~5 seconds they have for answering after buzzing in.

Either that or nearly all the computation he's doing after the buzz is for really weird outlier stuff that doesn't really affect the first 3 weights.

He receives the text word for word just as Jennings and the other dude do. No one is allowed to answer until the end of the question. So it's not about Watson's ability to compute an answer before the others (otherwise you are severely underestimating the speed of a neural network), but Watson's actual speed on the buzzer. Yes, he has a thumb installed, but how fast is his thumb compared to the other players?

And you are somewhat right, Watson is actually constantly computing until it discovers a probable answer that meets his thresh-hold requirements. I was surprised that it continued to answer the Daily Double however with a 32% chance of success (well below his defined thresh-hold). That was honestly amazing.

I love this damned robot.

He receives the text word for word just as Jennings and the other dude do. No one is allowed to answer until the end of the question. So it's not about Watson's ability to compute an answer before the others (otherwise you are severely underestimating the speed of a neural network), but Watson's actual speed on the buzzer. Yes, he has a thumb installed, but how fast is his thumb compared to the other players?

And you are somewhat right, Watson is actually constantly computing until it discovers a probable answer that meets his thresh-hold requirements. I was surprised that it continued to answer the Daily Double however with a 32% chance of success (well below his defined thresh-hold). That was honestly amazing.

I love this damned robot.
With a Daily Double any answer is better than no answer, and since he is the only one who can answer it, there is nothing lost by going with a answer he was not sure about.

Did an Integrated Ratings(Maritime) course down here at Beauty Point(AMC) and sent a resume off to Rio Tinto and a lady from Gladstone (Minnie King) is trying to get me onto one of there ships as a trainee IR in Gladstone by the sounds of it,are you with Rio Tinto?.It sounds pretty promising from what one of my referees was saying,i'm sick of myself after about 4 months of bumming around the house and am keen as mustard to get on a ship.

Did an Integrated Ratings(Maritime) course down here at Beauty Point(AMC) and sent a resume off to Rio Tinto and a lady from Gladstone (Minnie King) is trying to get me onto one of there ships as a trainee IR in Gladstone by the sounds of it,are you with Rio Tinto?.It sounds pretty promising from what one of my referees was saying,i'm sick of myself after about 4 months of bumming around the house and am keen as mustard to get on a ship.

Sounds good. I work for the WA Department of Mines and Petroleum as sort of a lab tech, but I've given notice and will be leaving soon. I'm planning a six month trip to Europe and India. I'll probably pick up some field work when I get back while I try to figure out what I want to do, whether it be going back to Uni, a teaching Grad Dip or something more to do in resources. I've become quite interested in drilling, so perhaps some qualification in that, or maybe even Geology. All a pretty far cry from my four years of Fine Arts at Uni!