The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

@Suparmurat: Channelball got neutered for a good reason. Imo any deck that allows first turn kills effectively ruins the game. Admittedly, vintage is all about ridiculous speed combos, but Channelball is just...crude. It lacks the elegance of Worldgorger, which is a really beautiful combo.

@Butt: pretty sure Hymn to Tourach got restricted for being utterly broken, but yeah, I used to run a black discard/control deck. Never bothered with Megrim, though.
My favorite black deck was a suicide black deck I had...first turn phyrexian negator is definitely gonna ruin someone's day, especially when you can follow it with a Grinning Demon the next turn.

Back when Onslaught was still in standard I played a deck based around putting ridiculously huge creatures like Krosan Colossus and Krosan Skyscraper face down in morph, then cycling a card and using Astral Slide to take them out of play. They then came back face up. It sort of worked.

Megrim kind of sucks and usually wastes a spot in hand destruction decks. Those decks always had a problem winning for me in general... just didnt have a good win condition once I had my opponent's hand emptied.

My favorite deck revolved around blue/black reanimator control. Turn one, careful study (or entomb), pitch spirit of the night or some other fun thing depending on what kind of decks everyone else was playing, turn two exhume it.

Or I'd go out in left field with a 7 (or 8 maybe) land green stompy deck, that would fairly quickly overwhelm the other side.... Mostly one mana 2 power creatures, or creatures you could cheat into play for free, land grants and elvish spirit guides for that extra mana burst. Could literally run you down before you even had time to play a wrath... and opponents chipping at their own life totals with pain/shocklands... good luck.

Necropotence would be an essential addition to an old-school black deck.

I just did a search and the Ice Age version is the cheapest out of all of the different versions, averaging around 3 and a half bucks. That's pretty sick, as that's my favorite print of 'er. Probably gonna get a playset of those soon.

@Suparmurat: Channelball got neutered for a good reason. Imo any deck that allows first turn kills effectively ruins the game. Admittedly, vintage is all about ridiculous speed combos, but Channelball is just...crude. It lacks the elegance of Worldgorger, which is a really beautiful combo.

I dunno. It'd be a pretty fun casual deck in my opinion. I wouldn't whip it out often, but it'd be fun every once in awhile (for me, anyways :V).

@Butt: pretty sure Hymn to Tourach got restricted for being utterly broken, but yeah, I used to run a black discard/control deck.

I don't think it's really broken anymore, with the current state of the game being so creature-oriented. It may be really powerful, but I don't think it's inherently broken anymore.

Never bothered with Megrim, though.
My favorite black deck was a suicide black deck I had...first turn phyrexian negator is definitely gonna ruin someone's day, especially when you can follow it with a Grinning Demon the next turn.

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. My inspiration for using Megrim was actually the fact that I had a bunch of people tell me it was shite tbh. I'm the kinda guy that likes to make decks that found ways to make cards like that semi-decent.

Back when Onslaught was still in standard I played a deck based around putting ridiculously huge creatures like Krosan Colossus and Krosan Skyscraper face down in morph, then cycling a card and using Astral Slide to take them out of play. They then came back face up. It sort of worked.

Yeah, it's a pretty awesome strategy. Back when Time Spiral block was legal in standard, I saw similar morph trickery going on also; player would set down a red Akroma face down, then cast Momentary Blink on it, to blink it out and back in. It was craaazy.

That was pretty much the last point at which I followed Magic. The cards have gotten ridiculous since then...not just the stupid Japanese block, but fucking redundant cards and power creep out the ass. I miss the good old days. Everything up through Onslaught, basically. Mirrodin was when it started to go downhill. Imo the 8th edition redesign was when they jumped the shark.

I actually thought Mirrodin block, Kami block, Ravnica block, and Time Spiral block were pretty decent. But yeah everything after has turned out to be pretty shit. I still hate the 8th Edition redesign, myself, but I'm somewhat less vocal about it at this point. I just want some well-designed cards, which is what is now lacking.

Workaholics is similar to Sunny and it's way better. Sometimes Sunny is not at all funny.

Workaholics is fucking funny as hell. My favorite episode is the one where they put the bike lock around Ders' neck the night before that big meeting. Haha.

I haven't really played M:TG since the 5th edition came out, so I'm pretty much ignorant of all these new cards and rule changes. Some friends of mine let me sit in and play using their cards recently, but I noticed that my old deck building strategies really don't work anymore.

I haven't really played M:TG since the 5th edition came out, so I'm pretty much ignorant of all these new cards and rule changes. Some friends of mine let me sit in and play using their cards recently, but I noticed that my old deck building strategies really don't work anymore.
There's been a lot of changes that are pretty crappy. I didn't start playing until Onslaught was released in 2002, but I quit maybe 3-4 years ago, because they kept fucking with the rules, and power-creeping everything to shit. They've obsoleted a bunch of old creatures with strictly superior versions, it's ridiculous. Also, mana burn doesn't exist anymore, which blows.

Megrim kind of sucks and usually wastes a spot in hand destruction decks. Those decks always had a problem winning for me in general... just didnt have a good win condition once I had my opponent's hand emptied.
That's the beauty of a control deck. You don't really need a win condition. You get your opponent with no cards in hand. He draws one a turn. If he doesn't play it, abyssal specter takes it on your turn. You pack enough removal to kill all his creatures (or at least fliers). You're basically just bleeding him slow. Buuut if you want a win condition...you're playing black. Take your pick. No shortage of big, ugly stompers.
My favorite deck revolved around blue/black reanimator control. Turn one, careful study (or entomb), pitch spirit of the night or some other fun thing depending on what kind of decks everyone else was playing, turn two exhume it.
Tricks with the graveyard were always a good time. I miss Odyssey.
I also miss U/G Madness. That was just fuckin' fun to play.

Or I'd go out in left field with a 7 (or 8 maybe) land green stompy deck, that would fairly quickly overwhelm the other side.... Mostly one mana 2 power creatures, or creatures you could cheat into play for free, land grants and elvish spirit guides for that extra mana burst. Could literally run you down before you even had time to play a wrath... and opponents chipping at their own life totals with pain/shocklands... good luck.
Do you remember Tooth and Nail? I played the version with Urzas, never really got the cloudpost one. Good times.

I don't think it's really broken anymore, with the current state of the game being so creature-oriented. It may be really powerful, but I don't think it's inherently broken anymore.
It's definitely ahead of the mana curve. Pack 4 of those in a deck and the other guy doesn't have a chance. 4 Hymns, 4 Ostracize, some Abyssal Specters...unless he's playing Goblins of White Weenie or some shit where he can flood the table with creatures before you blow up his hand, he's fucked.

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. My inspiration for using Megrim was actually the fact that I had a bunch of people tell me it was shite tbh. I'm the kinda guy that likes to make decks that found ways to make cards like that semi-decent.
It's not terrible. It's just that in my experience, a discard deck typically whittles the opponent's hand down really fast and then they don't do much discarding. The effect of a discard deck is really to limit the opponent's options, rather than simply to make them throw cards out. Therefore it'd be pretty slow to kill with Megrim. Again, it's not terrible, but those spots could be used for more effective cards...off the top of my head

4 Terror
4 Ostracize
4 Abyssal Specter
4 Dark Banishing
I'd run 20 swamps, but I'm paranoid about mana screw. You could go 18.
That brings you to 34-36 cards. 24-26 spots left. At least 6 go to discard spells, you'll want some more creatures as well. It's also not a terrible idea to run some Drudge Skeletons or something in case they get creatures out and you need a blocker. You'll also want some more removal, probably. And of course a win condition, probably something big and ugly. Yyou could go for a big Corrupt or Drain Life...I always liked Promise of Power cause it offered more flexibility.
Basically, you can go a lot of ways with the deck, but there's always gonna be a better choice than Megrim.

Tricks with the graveyard were always a good time. I miss Odyssey.
I also miss U/G Madness. That was just fuckin' fun to play.
U/G Madness is one of my favourite decks, got an almost full foil one. :p Back then I played Madness, my brother Goblin Bidding, one friend Wake and another Slide. Good times. :) I think magic was maybe most fun from about Masques to Onslaught. Psychatog was a bitch though.
Do you remember Tooth and Nail? I played the version with Urzas, never really got the cloudpost one. Good times.
Mono green Urza version was the best imo, much faster and more explosive than cloudpost. Fav TaN target was Sundering Titan and Kikki-Jikki. :D