The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Only the ones that don't cause a physical addiction.

Legalized for medical purposes, maybe. But otherwise there is no reason to just randomly legalize them... they do lead to other things.

Complete abstinence tends to breed a lack of self control after some time.

This is true with some people. I've tried it once and wasn't really that impressed. I'm also not comfortable with temporarily altering my mind.

Mathiäs;6783048 said:
Legalized for medical purposes, maybe. But otherwise there is no reason to just randomly legalize them... they do lead to other things.

Thats a load of horseshit.

Weed is probably safer then alchhol, because if your high, chances are your not going get in random fights and car accidents.

Your probably more likely to snort coke with a bottle of Jack Daniels than a joint.

Thats a load of horseshit.

Weed is probably safer then alchhol, because if your high, chances are your not going get in random fights and car accidents.

Your probably more likely to snort coke with a bottle of Jack Daniels than a joint.

Well ok fine, but you still haven't given me a reason why the should be legalized. It's obvious that weed doesn't impair you as much as alcohol but that's irrelevant. It's also said to be a gateway drug.

Mathiäs;6783064 said:
Well ok fine, but you still haven't given me a reason why the should be legalized. It's obvious that weed doesn't impair you as much as alcohol but that's irrelevant. It's also said to be a gateway drug.

And snake oil is said to cure cancer. Whats your point? They have no actual proof.

It would be better to legalize it because:
a) It's damn easy to grow it yourself
b) Dealers usually cut it with more harmful drugs. If legalized, dealers would no longer be imperitive because plenty of people would have legal acess to it.
c) It's far more healthy for you than tobacco, and millions of people legally suck that shit back

Mathiäs;6783064 said:
The gateway theory is not really scientifically valid, as studies have proved inconclusive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_drug). I think drugs should be legalized* so they can be controlled and taxed like alcohol and tobacco. It's clear people will take drugs whether they are legal or not, but if they are legal, the power is in the hands of the government instead of criminals.

*Except meth and co. That stuff is just too dangerous and ruins you. I am mainly aiming this towards pot, hallucinogens, and other lesser stuff.

Personally, I believe all drugs should eventually be legalised.

1) It's up to an individual to decide what they want to do to his/her body and mind. Seriously. Putting ANYONE in jail for doing nothing but using a drug is absurd.

2) Getting rid of the criminal infrastructure behind drug sale will stop a shitload of violent crimes from happening, and generally make cities a better place to live.

3) The argument that addicts will do anything to anyone to get their fix is pretty flawed, since if that were the case there would be a lot more violent robberies and lootings over tobacco.

4) Even if legalisation of drugs results in more overall addicts, it's entirely conceivable that many of those people will go on to live content lives with adequate access to treatment and/or supply of their drug. Plus, those people won't have to worry about dangerous contaminants in their drugs at the hands of shady dealers/mixers.

Oh, one more: whether you want to believe it or not, some people would probably lead much happier lives as drug addicts. And I'm not just talking about bums and slackers who have nothing to contribute to society. A lot of pretty intelligent and hard-working people have used drugs regularly throughout history.

1) It's up to an individual to decide what they want to do to his/her body and mind. Seriously. Putting ANYONE in jail for doing nothing but using a drug is absurd.
I generally agree but when it drives people to commit crimes or being hospitalized because of the drug it is the tax payers problem too.

2) Getting rid of the criminal infrastructure behind drug sale will stop a shitload of violent crimes from happening, and generally make cities a better place to live.
This is probably true.

3) The argument that addicts will do anything to anyone to get their fix is pretty flawed, since if that were the case there would be a lot more violent robberies and lootings over tobacco.
You can't compare nicotine with hard opiates in addiction sense. Try kicking heroin cold turkey when you are physically addicted. You can end up in the emergency ward because of the withdrawal syndromes. If you aren't dead set on quitting you WILL do anything to get your fix.

4) Even if legalisation of drugs results in more overall addicts, it's entirely conceivable that many of those people will go on to live content lives with adequate access to treatment and/or supply of their drug. Plus, those people won't have to worry about dangerous contaminants in their drugs at the hands of shady dealers/mixers.
The problem though is that you are hard pressed to live a normal life if you are really addicted to a drug, because you are high all the time and can't work and get no money and then the downward spiral begins even if the drugs are legalized. I mean there are still alchoholics with miserable lives.

One interesting point though about legalization is that most drugs would drop in price alot if the goverment doesn't handle it totally wrong, so alot of the money case for addicts wouldn't be as hard. On the other hand that could lead to alot more people trying it and then eventually getting addicted.

Went out to eat. The food was good. Then I opened some presents. Got a Zeppelin hoodie, magic cards and some cash.

Thanks man.

*edit* Is it just me or is my post count going down? Really, I swear it was just at 929 and now it's at 928. I think I'm seeing things.

I generally agree but when it drives people to commit crimes or being hospitalized because of the drug it is the tax payers problem too.

Well if that's the issue, then you have to weigh the public cost of those addicts versus the public cost of the war on drugs, all the imprisonments, and the extra criminal activity, so I'm not sure you have much of a case here.

You can't compare nicotine with hard opiates in addiction sense. Try kicking heroin cold turkey when you are physically addicted. You can end up in the emergency ward because of the withdrawal syndromes. If you aren't dead set on quitting you WILL do anything to get your fix.

Yeah, most likely. Though they do have less 'recreational' drugs out there (i.e. Methodone) for dealing with the withdrawal symptoms, right?

The problem though is that you are hard pressed to live a normal life if you are really addicted to a drug, because you are high all the time and can't work and get no money and then the downward spiral begins even if the drugs are legalized. I mean there are still alchoholics with miserable lives.

You can't really assume all of that. Plenty of people can function perfectly fine on a number of drugs (though maybe not any drug).

As far as the 'downward spiral' argument: I'm pretty sure most people dramatise that way too much. Sure there'll be a few more addicts, but just because alcohol and tobacco are legal doesn't mean our whole society is in the grip of a public health crisis (well... that could actually be argued, but obviously there's no chance in hell that alcohol and tobacco are getting outlawed, so the point is moot).

One interesting point though about legalization is that most drugs would drop in price alot if the goverment doesn't handle it totally wrong, so alot of the money case for addicts wouldn't be as hard. On the other hand that could lead to alot more people trying it and then eventually getting addicted.

Yeah, as I've acknowledged, there'd probably be more addicts if it were all legal, but in my opinion that's an acceptable price to pay for the decrease in crime and the gain in personal freedom. There's a lot of dangerous shit that's legal in our society, but people are going to want to take risks no matter what, and there's something to be said for having the autonomy to do so.

How could an addict's life be overall better than a non-addict? that is retarded. Prove it then.

Well, I was kind of assuming that addiction means still being able to experience the positive effects of the drug. I'm not sure if that's the case for the harder drugs (and I have no idea if there's any research out there to that effect), but really, if you have the money to satisfy your cravings, and you're still having fun on the drug, then that's a deal many people would probably willingly accept.