The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

I don't claim to be a fan of the Democrat party as a whole (I vote primarily Green if possible), but it is clear that the Republicans in the House will be the road block if there is any to legislation passing that can aid the economy.

If only everyone in Congress was like Kucinich, Gravel, and Warren :(

I don't claim to be a fan of the Democrat party as a whole (I vote primarily Green if possible), but it is clear that the Republicans in the House will be the road block if there is any to legislation passing that can aid the economy.

If only everyone in Congress was like Kucinich, Gravel, and Warren :(

Please understand this: Government spending cannot help the economy, in fact it does the exact opposite.

The interesting thing is that during periods of high taxation this country has done better economically...

Wonder why that is...

Just put my new Svidd Neger LP on and am about to a do a bit of study for my final exam next Wednesday. Then the beer will make a long-overdue appearance.

The interesting thing is that during periods of high taxation this country has done better economically...

Wonder why that is...

Yeah, GDP was soaring during WWII. Too bad you can't eat or enjoy but so many bullets and tanks. :rolleyes:

Then there's that War Debt to pay off but you know, it's easier to pay it off when you just helped bomb the rest of the industrial world to bits and have no manufacturing competition, or that you also came out of the situation with the world reserve currency. But no, it's all because of high taxes (pulling money out of the pool) and government spending it (putting it back in the pool). Yeah that's what it was, useless middlemen and hamster wheels = economic win. God damn if only taxes were 100% the economy would be mother fucking booming. But we don't even need high taxes apparently, since we can just print all the money we want amirite? We can all be millionaires and never have to lift a finger again. Man this economic shit is easy.

Why would you assume I mean just during war times? I meant through our countries whole history. :rolleyes:

Because the US hasn't been at war so much :rolleyes:

Regardless, this economic fallacy you are pushing is much older than the US, and was disproven hundreds of years ago. Correlation =/= causation. High taxes always correlate with high government spending, which will by definition increase GDP. This says nothing about the value of the expenditure, nor does it say anything about what was lost, both real and potential, due to the redistribution. All we know is lots of money was moved from one place to another and was counted as an increase in production.

You have attributed a causal effect of improvement in the economy via high taxation. The logical conclusion of this argument is that, ceteris parabus, 100% taxation would cause the absolute optimum economy. Your statement (although I know merely parroted from the likes of HuffPost bloggers) is ridiculous.

Back from an amazing evening!

Went to 2 metal pubs with Hez and we put on 10 songs on the jukebox and all of them got played. Then went to street food fest with my friends i'm staying with, then to a bar with lights on the dance floor, then to a cool "secret warehouse" party in a basement somewhere with really great techno and lots of dancing. Then epic night bus ride back here with a bunch of shouting Italians. Fuck I hate those guys!

how did the "what are you doing this moment thread" turn into a politics thread

didn't we already have some sort of politics thread somewhere??

also
couldn't we just move the politics discusion to the "batshit theory of the week thread"??

and get back to using this thread to actually discussing what goes on in our daily lives