The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Beginning to think that paranoia is actually a serious epidemic in the US these days, and that the Internet-based "alternative" media is essentially the equivalent of a street drug compared to the traditional media. At least with MSNBC, Fox etc. you know it's being dumbed down on purpose and that you're being an idiot if you buy the snake oil. With Infowars and the like, they tell you you're one of the smart ones for buying it, so a lot of smart people actually *do* buy it out of laziness. It's fucked up.

zabu of nΩd;10481893 said:
Beginning to think that paranoia is actually a serious epidemic in the US these days, and that the Internet-based "alternative" media is essentially the equivalent of a street drug compared to the traditional media. At least with MSNBC, Fox etc. you know it's being dumbed down on purpose and that you're being an idiot if you buy the snake oil. With Infowars and the like, they tell you you're one of the smart ones for buying it, so a lot of smart people actually *do* buy it out of laziness. It's fucked up.

That's not even the worst of it. Batshit insane things can look legitimate. I was debating with pro-life people on the internet and they kept citing sources that were Christian "science" blogs, and my favorite one, a blog that claimed fascism was left and claimed abortion was bad because Nazis had it or something. That was when they had sources at all.

The internet can make it just as easy to be intellectual as anti-intellectual.

Oh not much. Friend of Schmidt's got drunk, got super friendly with McDonald's employees, forced us to listen to Kamelot, then spent most of the car ride threatening to piss himself if we didn't find a bathroom.

During Cianide's set he was texting some ho and this guy next to him called him a poser in front of everyone for texting during Cianide. Nearly beat the shit out of him.

What's wrong with Kamelot? :confused:

"Serenade" used to be my "play on repeat" bedtime tune.

kamelot.jpg

Wow I had no idea they were this gay looking omg.

I can't wait for knitting/crafts party tonight followed by GAY NIGHT

The internet can make it just as easy to be intellectual as anti-intellectual.

It's that uncertainty that keeps legitimate information out of serious regard. The point of institutions, intellectual, ecclesiastical, political, is at the bottom for the control of information so that it remains authoritative. What the internet has done is release a deluge of information that is erasing these institutional boundaries.

It's now very difficult to take anything seriously, and if there are some powers that be who are running things behind the shadows, they see this phenomenon I described as the best possible thing for them. Divide et impera.

@ zabu,vimana & zeph - So essentially were all biased, misinformed and prone to fallacies aka screwed, huh?

The veracity of information is only as strong as the faith a society has in the institutions that control information. Yes, we now have the scientific, logical, and mathematical tools to think for ourselves, but reasoning can only go so far when what's needed are the empirical facts. We reason only with the facts presented, and thus we are slaves to who controls the information. If those institutions have no authority, then we have nothing.