The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Procrastinating and avoiding writing my last paper of the semester. It is for multicultural perspectives in education class and I am ready for it to be over. I've had enough of the bashing of white men and American culture. Call me biased, but even after a semester of bullshit I still truly believe that anyone living in America can achieve their goals and improve their lives if they work hard.

So in other words you're gonna ignore all the evidence demonstrating inequality in opportunity for people coming from different classes, ethnicities and linguistic backgrounds and throw out an empty cliche? You obviously missed the point of that class.

So in other words you're gonna ignore all the evidence demonstrating inequality in opportunity for people coming from different classes, ethnicities and linguistic backgrounds and throw out an empty cliche? You obviously missed the point of that class.

Is it some sort of "conspiracy" to "keep the [Other] down" or is it difficulty in inculturation (and/or refusal) on the part of the "deprived"? I have yet to witness anything other than the latter. Granted, inculturation is inherently difficult to some degree in any direction, and there is nothing "wrong" with this. It merely "is what it is".

What? You're obviously a partisan liberal. Anyone can 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps' in America. Blacks and poors are just too lazy to do it. :rolleyes:

Is it some sort of "conspiracy" to "keep the [Other] down" or is it difficulty in inculturation (and/or refusal) on the part of the "deprived"? I have yet to witness anything other than the latter. Granted, inculturation is inherently difficult to some degree in any direction, and there is nothing "wrong" with this. It merely "is what it is".

I have no idea what you're even talking about. Nobody said anything about a conspiracy. Take you one post into a debate to throw out a straw man that fits in with nothing anybody has said so far. This is why it's a waste of time to debate anything deeper than football with you. Also, what is "incluturation"? I've never heard the term before and all that is coming up is stuff regarding indoctrination and evangelism. Do you mean aculturation? Enculutration?

I have no idea what you're even talking about. Nobody said anything about a conspiracy. Take you one post into a debate to throw out a straw man that fits in with nothing anybody has said so far. This is why it's a waste of time to debate anything deeper than football with you. Also, what is "incluturation"? I've never heard the term before and all that is coming up is stuff regarding indoctrination and evangelism. Do you mean aculturation? Enculutration?

Sorry, Enculturation*. We can include Acculturation but most of the supposed keeping down rarely officially applies to that sort of situation because it's often either a work visa (opportunity!) or illegal immigration (not official) and so definitionally inapplicable.

To be clear, I mean enculturation in a broad sense - not just your family/neighborhood. It's not a strawman to call this a conspiracy - even in the banal sense. People working together, even subconsciously - systemically, to keep out "minorities" of one sort or another - racial/disabled/sex preference/etc.

I simply don't see this exclusion in either civic or corporate circles, and I'm obviously not referring to personal experience in my own pursuits - obviously I just walk into places with a virtual nametag that says "white male", and am immediately offered the best seat/job/office/grade/assignment/etc availa- nay, minorities are ousted from their positions to make room for me. Everything I touch shits gold, shit which all non-white/non-males are forbidden to gaze upon, as the golden shit from that which I have touched is unlawful to behold for those "others". If only we had a Civil Rights Act amirite?

I won't disagree that there are those who need some cultural sensitivity training etc, but some of you overdose on it or something.

Procrastinating on my English homework. I am never doing an English class online again. We've barely learned anything. This class is just practice on articulating opinions and using selective research to support a conclusion. What a waste of time.

This sounds very similar to something along the lines of: "There's nothing wrong with taking something from someone. That's merely how it is."

Which doesn't strike me as something you'd say.

I think he's saying that white people and minorities are not collectives and that there is no collective effort of white people to keep minorities down.

Tell that to minorities born into poverty and violence in destitute regions of inner cities.

Basically. Less access to healthy food, less access to educational resources, lower quality of education, less access to safe parks and recs (and therefore less opportunities for a healthy lifestyle), but yeah, let's ignore all that go with the cliche that anyone can "achieve their goals if they try hard." :rolleyes: Let's ignore the fact that other people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth and don't have to try hard at all and are still basically guaranteed a college education, while others can work their butt off and still miss out.

I don't know if Zero is just taking an education class for fun or if he's planning to go into education, but if it's the later it's his professional responsibility to start taking these issues more seriously.

I think he's saying that white people and minorities are not collectives and that there is no collective effort of white people to keep minorities down.

Who ever said they were collectives? Seems like he's fighting a ghost.

That was just my guess, because when people talk about the disadvantage of minorities, they treat the situation as if white people are a conspiring collective hell-bent on keeping black people down, rather than past racism creating current problems for a group that was once systematically oppressed.

That was just my guess, because when people talk about the disadvantage of minorities, they treat the situation as if white people are a conspiring collective hell-bent on keeping black people down, rather than past racism creating current problems for a group that was once systematically oppressed.

As someone who works around these sorts of issues of inequality and actually reads the research regarding these issues I can honestly say I never hear anyone present these issues in such black and white terms. Perhaps some people talk this way during bar-room banter or on shock-value news shows, but I don't hear that sort of extremism among the scholars, professionals and activists that actually work on these issues.

But it's always easier to attack the rare extremist then it is to confront the well grounded, research-based findings that demonstrate institutional inequality, so I get if people would prefer to pretend that that's where the issue lies.

For the last decade I have worked at a low-income middle school in a dangerous/ghetto area of Las Vegas.

I have seen racial fights/riots between Mexicans and Blacks. I have seen students(90% receive a free lunch at my school) go fucking wild and throw the food provided to them by the school at each other and all over the cafeteria.
I have also seen students fresh off the boat from Cuba enter the school speaking no English and by the end of the year they are out performing their classmates. I've even had a student from Korea translate all of her assignments into Korean, complete them, and then translate it back to English so she could turn it in for a grade.

I understand that opportunities aren't equal or fair. Life isn't fair. I still have high expectations and standards for all the students. I guess I don't get it.

Fuck it, I need to make sure my bed sheets are clean for the next cross burning.

For the last decade I have worked at a low-income middle school in a dangerous/ghetto area of Las Vegas.

I have seen racial fights/riots between Mexicans and Blacks. I have seen students(90% receive a free lunch at my school) go fucking wild and throw the food provided to them by the school at each other and all over the cafeteria.
I have also seen students fresh off the boat from Cuba enter the school speaking no English and by the end of the year they are out performing their classmates. I've even had a student from Korea translate all of her assignments into Korean, complete them, and then translate it back to English so she could turn it in for a grade.

I understand that opportunities aren't equal or fair. Life isn't fair. I still have high expectations and standards for all the students. I guess I don't get it.

Fuck it, I need to make sure my bed sheets are clean for the next cross burning.

I saw something somewhat similar in high school. There were Korean students, most of them immigrants, who lived in the less nice areas of my town. I didn't exactly interview them, but it seemed like their parents were working all the time since they seemed to have a lot more freedom than anyone else outside of their schoolwork, and because affording an apartment in my area and raising children requires working an insane amount. The point is, they weren't living easy. Their parents put tons of pressure on them, probably because they worked their asses off to live in this country they (in most cases) don't even speak the language of, and because hard work, a good education, and ending up in a good profession are big in Korean culture. In my freshman English class, one girl even cried because she was stressed from midterms.

Then there were some African American students who were from the same conditions or better who just fucked around. It wasn't all of them, but there were a sizable crowd the school could identify. My friends and I called them the "oil spill" because between every single class they'd stand in a particular formation in the middle of a three-way intersection between the main areas of the school and they'd always be there before anyone else. In the classes I had with them, they were loud, disruptive, obnoxious, didn't do any work, and got shitty grades. Often times they were on an IEP, which is supposed to make everything easier.

I definitely think shit like "why can't they just make their lives better?" when talking about people in horrible social conditions shows a huge misunderstanding of how exactly a person develops. People can't just will away being socialized in a hostile environment with little education when they have little to no understanding of any other type of life. But people do have some degree of control, and damage to a group can't be repaired without the damaged group making an effort, too. (Seriously, what are we supposed to do, blast them with beams that erase the trauma of living in a violent, impoverished environment and inject them with an education and the values of a different society?) Just look at people like Frederick Douglass and other civil rights activists who seized whatever opportunity they took to get educated and better themselves and ran with it, almost as a "fuck you" to a system that tried to oppress them. I guess I have a lot more respect for those people than the African Americans I went to high school with, because those people went through a lot to grant the right to an education to their people, and then I see the people they were fighting for calling the teacher racist for calling them out for disrupting a class for months on end.

TL;DR: People are not completely controlled by their environments, but they're also not 100% able to defy them, either. It's understandable when people from a shitty environment act shitty, but it's a problem when they still act shitty when people are putting forth effort to help them create better lives for themselves. I don't think everyone can work themselves out of everything, but I think they should try.

TL;DR: People are not completely controlled by their environments, but they're also not 100% able to defy them, either. It's understandable when people from a shitty environment act shitty, but it's a problem when they still act shitty when people are putting forth effort to help them create better lives for themselves. I don't think everyone can work themselves out of everything, but I think they should try.

Exactly. The bottom line is that the system is in fact bent over backwards at this point to help any disadvantaged non-white-male who gives the least little bit of a damn - and yet this hasn't seemed to help the problem much(which is not surprising to me at all - a mostly economic prediction).