The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

gender_spectrum_blank_by_prettyfrog-d46km6h.png

Why do we need both Genderqueer and Agender? They're both basically the same thing (a person who doesn't identify as a male or female).

Why do we need both Genderqueer and Agender? They're both basically the same thing (a person who doesn't identify as a male or female).

Post-1970s/80s critical theory has deconstructed gender so that it no longer strictly means a binary of Man and Woman; if gender is indeed a social construct, then there's absolutely no reason why new combinatory or mixed genders cannot develop.

With this in mind, genderqueer/similar means a subject who identifies with a sense of gender but cannot reduce itself to Man or Woman (if we're being truly critical, this is actually all of us; we just choose to accept the identity of Man and Woman because it's culturally easier). In fact, reduction of that sort may make the subject feel excluded or inauthentic; but rather than retreat from gender, a new form may be embraced (since we're just dealing with social constructions anyway).

Agender designates a subject with no sense of gender at all. I have no idea what the statistics are on this, but I find such an identity to be highly unlikely. It's simply another category that emerges out of the possibilities of gender (i.e. the possibility to identify with no gender).

Do you mean that I identify as genderqueer simply by acknowledging I'm male but not playing at all by any role society places on it?

That's the thing, they're two separate definitions that basically represent the same idea. It all depends on the person in question and whether they believe they're a part of this distinct third group that doesn't identify as either male or female, or in the middle of a gender spectrum between male and female. They're the same people (a person who doesn't identify as either male or female), they just go about labeling themselves differently.

It's just monotonous.

Doing nothing. I had my first beers in 13 days today. They weren't even fucking good and then I slept for two hours. Strange hobby this beer drinking.

Did a 4square check-in at the pub. Fun application, unfortunately I don't pay for mobile internet.

Do you mean that I identify as genderqueer simply by acknowledging I'm male but not playing at all by any role society places on it?

I don't know what you identify as. All I mean by this:

With this in mind, genderqueer/similar means a subject who identifies with a sense of gender but cannot reduce itself to Man or Woman (if we're being truly critical, this is actually all of us; we just choose to accept the identity of Man and Woman because it's culturally easier).

is that no identity is ever truly stable. Believing that we reside our entire lives under some sign from the skies that designates us "male" is a kind of false consciousness. It's easier for many of us to simply identify with male, and so we do, and meanwhile we ignore (or repress) all the vectors of our desires that don't coincide.

I agree. I think any identity we create for ourselves is pretty much a lie since they're all fleeting sensory experiences of our consciousness. It's like defining a radio by certain signals it receives, rather than as a device that receives signals.

Such a busy weekend. Pretty stoked to have finally purchased a dance costume. Always made 'em as they could run from $400-$1000 bucks. But got a great deal on one, but still have to do alterations because it's way too long but at least it's not building the whole thing.

Also, been looking into the doctrine of signatures and find it pretty fascinating. I've came across this idea on YTube, but this is nothing new and has been around since… maybe 330 AD? Anyways, it's basically the idea that herbs that resemble specific parts of the body can be used to treat sicknesses/ailments of that body part. It's really cool stuff! Here's the video:

Last edited by a moderator: