The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Reading "Rats in the Walls" because I made my students. We are going to discuss a little bit of Lovecraft's racism in class today along with the important shit about the story. I hope it leads to some interesting discussions.

Reading "Rats in the Walls" because I made my students. We are going to discuss a little bit of Lovecraft's racism in class today along with the important shit about the story. I hope it leads to some interesting discussions.

I taught "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" last spring, and At the Mountains of Madness the fall before. Students seem to enjoy Lovecraft, in my experience.

Lovecraft is awesome. Man how come i didn't have any college professors who taught Lovecraft?! No fair.

Being a big girl, and planning my very own dance event. I'm not sure why people trust me to do things, but i suppose that's a good sign.

Personally, I always found The Outsider his most poignant. I think it gets overlooked often because of his more sci-fi involved popularity.

And real quick, I'd just like to rant and say fuck Derleth. As a fan of Lovecrat's original, more nihilistic approach to the story, I frankly find the Cthlulu Mythos, though good fun, to be a bit of a travesty. Derleth took what was perfect cosmic indifference and made it evil. Why does morality have to exist with these creatures? Fuck that guy. I prefer the idea of them not giving a shit about mankind, and applaud Lovecraft's appreciation for our irrelevence.

I read Lovecraft's fiction as a crisis of genre. I'm working on a paper that juxtaposes Lovecraft and Henry James for this very purpose.

I have also taught "The Outsider" in class. It's usually a hit.

Yeah I think it's a big disservice to Lovecraft to view his monsters as part of some pantheon. Cthulhu and the other beings are simply effective for setting up a more scary narrative of mankind confronted by nature.

Found a huge ass beetle at work, like five inches long. It was smashed :( Fuckin people. Beetles that big don't show up around here often unless they're roaches, fuckin shame.

Got to talk to hank, get an autograph, and a picture with my dad. Fucking amazing.

Got an hour of sleep, hungover as fuck, and now en route to Mammoth mountain for some prime mountain biking.

Life is good.