The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Not really. I don't watch the cricket and I hardly watch any footy. I've always enjoyed watching a good tennis match though.

I've seen it, and just couldn't get through the historical inaccuracy of the movie, just for the sake of making it more interesting. If you're historical movie, make it right or don't make it at all. I hated I Walk The Line though, even if it was kinda accurate, because it portrayted Johnny Cash only as drug and booze addicted asshole, worst person on earth basically.

At the risk of sounding like a douche monger, I've always thought disliking movies based purely on the lack of accuracy was kinda fuckin stupid. Whether its historical accuracy, canon accuracy, etc. Cinema as an art medium should be seen exactly as that - art. It's not like they label this shit specifically as a documentary, or you saw it on the history channel. Its entertainment with loose basis in fact.

You're really missing out on some great films if you won't let the directors take their creative liberties, being the artists they are.

Walk the Line totally sucked as a piece of cinematic art though, IMO. Not worth a second watch regardless of accuracy.

Reactions: CiG
Did they really do that though? Sounds like you're remembering it without any context whatsoever. They more painted him as someone with many demons and a lot of guilt.

Well, yes, I think that's what they were trying to do, and in my eyes, blatantly failed.

At the risk of sounding like a douche monger, I've always thought disliking movies based purely on the lack of accuracy was kinda fuckin stupid. Whether its historical accuracy, canon accuracy, etc. Cinema as an art medium should be seen exactly as that - art. It's not like they label this shit specifically as a documentary, or you saw it on the history channel. Its entertainment with loose basis in fact.

You're really missing out on some great films if you won't let the directors take their creative liberties, being the artists they are.

Walk the Line totally sucked as a piece of cinematic art though, IMO. Not worth a second watch regardless of accuracy.

The problem is, I like when things are kind of all in or nothin. This applies not only to movies, but also to games, hell, even to my life, I either 100% concentrate on something or don't do it at all. So when movie is historical, they want to recreate something, I want it to be accurate. If it's completely made up, I'm fine with it. Same thing applies to games. When you are doing realistic shooter, like ARMA, I like it, if you do crazy stuff like Unreal, I like it too. But half realistic/half arcade-y games like CoD/BF I hate with passion. So it is my personal issue.

Saturday afternoon, having many drinks (hail gin) and eating some new flavoured Pringles, they're fucking spicy. 20 minutes deep into Reverend Bizarre's So Long Suckers.
I'm considering putting on "Caesar Forever" while I watch the best bits of Ben-Hur. I'm surprised nobody has used olde films like that to make cool video clips for that song.

Also I'm genuinely wondering who feminists will vote for in America; Bernie who represents their convictions politically and ideologically more than anybody else or Clinton as a symbol, because she's a woman. I'm drvnk.

c9023aaa309e559a473015ee31b3aa9c.jpg

Christs may come and Christs may go but Caesar is forever!

Why is it dumb though? Take the Star Trek franchise for example. Part of what makes that franchise so great is the fact that its universe is so large and encompassing; and still, 95 percent of the time, despite being so encompassing, it manages to maintain total continuity.

When it comes to canon, when you introduce discontinuity, the entire franchise is damaged. The piece of art becomes flawed, and its legitimacy as a quality piece suffers. It's just sloppy.

This is why, again when it comes to Star Trek, movies like Star Trek 2009 fucking blow. "Alternate universe" or not; it utilizes bad science, discontinuity when it comes to established canon, and all in all is just a sloppy action flick that cheapens the franchise.

Last edited:
Only giant nerd faggots care about canon enough to let it decide whether a film is good or not. I'm one of them.
But I will also admit if something is good as a stand alone piece of work, even if in the context of it's canon it's a steaming heaping pile of shite.

I mean, I only usually care about canon if I really care about the franchise anyways; so basically I'm only a giant nerd faggot when it comes to Star Trek. When it comes to the Trek, big enough violations of canon can indeed ruin an episode or film for me. Such as Final Frontier or Star Trek 2009, which I prefer to pretend don't exist.

I would say Trailer Park Boys too, is another series I care deeply enough about, but they haven't had a lot of discontinuity so s'all good.

The film in all other areas could be masterful but the whole time you can't stop thinking about how they just threw all the carefully crafted and adhered to canon out the window. I'm like that too.

Especially with television shows, I care a lot about the Always Sunny In Philadelphia canon and every time there's some shit that goes by that contradicts something that was set in stone previously I feel a sharp pain.

I'm at work and it started snowing so I guess I will have some extra work with getting rid of the snow. I also need to pee and can't leave the reception until my colleague comes at 9.

Last edited:
I'm at home and the wife is working at a festival until next week and I'm spending far too much time sitting about getting wasted and blasting metal and watching tv. Or just the right amount of time. I dunno. I'm supposed to go to a gig tonight to see some local sludge bands and I'n hoping my faculties will still be in order enough that I don't collapse in a puddle of my own muntedness while I'm watching them play.

Why is it dumb though? Take the Star Trek franchise for example. Part of what makes that franchise so great is the fact that its universe is so large and encompassing; and still, 95 percent of the time, despite being so encompassing, it manages to maintain total continuity.

When it comes to canon, when you introduce discontinuity, the entire franchise is damaged. The piece of art becomes flawed, and its legitimacy as a quality piece suffers. It's just sloppy.

This is why, again when it comes to Star Trek, movies like Star Trek 2009 fucking blow. "Alternate universe" or not; it utilizes bad science, discontinuity when it comes to established canon, and all in all is just a sloppy action flick that cheapens the franchise.

I put forth the Mortal Kombat movie that never quite made it as an excellent example of cinematic creativity straying from the original idea. Can you seriously say this would not have been fucking awesome as a full length?

I guess if you're really into something and they finally release a movie, and its not true to the franchise, that's super disappointing. But you shouldn't declare it a terrible movie, just declare it a terrible representation.

drank a bunch of scotch lastnight in a garage while my bike got worked on.
woke up still a little drunk.
Woman and kids are at her parents until Sunday night.
Going to be blasting the new Megadeth, watching Star Wars Rebels, and touching myself.

Reactions: viewerfromnihil