The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

You haven't even been to half of the places on the list have you. The central valley sucks and part of L.A. sucks and part of the mojave sucks. but the rest of Cali is beautiful. The entire coastline, the Sierra Nevadas, Death Valley, the bay area...

Death Valley is the largest NP outside of Alaska (but it's just a spot right?) The Sierra Nevadas are just a spot too... same with the Channel Islands...

In a state the size of Cali yes, NPs are Spots.

Death Valley NP
Joshua Tree NP
Lassen Volcanic NP
San Diego
L.A.
Hollywood
Santa Barbara
Laguna Beach
La Jolla
Berkeley
Anaheim
Mt. Shasta
Salton Sea
Anza-Borrego
Palm Springs
Napa Valley
Solvang

I've been through or spent time in these places plus some others. I don't even know why you listed cities though, especially LA and Hollywood.

In a state the size of Cali yes, NPs are Spots.

Death Valley NP
Joshua Tree NP
Lassen Volcanic NP
San Diego
L.A.
Hollywood
Santa Barbara
Laguna Beach
La Jolla
Berkeley
Anaheim
Mt. Shasta
Salton Sea
Anza-Borrego
Palm Springs
Napa Valley
Solvang

I've been through or spent time in these places plus some others. I don't even know why you listed cities though, especially LA and Hollywood.

The music scenes, the restaurants, the nightlife. Everything cities have to offer. Hollywood has more entertainment than most cities.

So you haven't been to the top 5 national parks in Cali: Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Redwood, Channel Islands. You haven't been to the best beach Big Sur. You haven't been to the best city San Francisco. But you've explored all of Cali. Ok.

Tell me how many nice "spots" there are in Nevada which you were comparing it to. Hmm: Las Vegas, Great Basin. Maybe Reno and Laughlin. Valley of Fire. That list is much much shorter than Cali's.

The music scenes, the restaurants, the nightlife. Everything cities have to offer. Hollywood has more entertainment than most cities.

So you haven't been to the top 5 national parks: Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Redwood, Channel Islands. You haven't been to the best beach Big Sur. You haven't been to the best city San Francisco. But you've explored all of Cali. Ok.

Tell me again how many nice "spots" there are in Nevada which you were comparing it to. Hmm: Las Vegas, Great Basin. Maybe Reno and Laughlin. Valley of Fire. That list is much much shorter than Cali's.

Well yeah Nevada is worse than Cali. It's also what, 2/3 the size? Lacks a coastline? Almost all scrub and desert? Las Vegas is also a point against it. Another dirty, bum ridden tourist trap. I already said Cali has some nice NPs. So do many other states. It's obv better than the Midwestern states and most of the states just on the east side of the Miss as well. But compared to Oregon? WA? Idaho? Utah? AZ? I don't think so.

My brother has been to SF several times (he likes it btw) and I've seen plenty of pictures, looks like a place I'd hate. LA/Hollywood might have a lot of "entertainment", but that comes with a lot of baggage that isn't even remotely worth it. Bums, trash, infrastructure falling apart, traffic, etc. Hollywood Blvd was seriously the biggest letdown of my life up to that point. Like you need to carry a broom and a gun to clear the trash and bums off a star before you can take a picture.

Well yeah Nevada is worse than Cali. It's also what, 2/3 the size? Lacks a coastline? Almost all scrub and desert? Las Vegas is also a point against it. Another dirty, bum ridden tourist trap. I already said Cali has some nice NPs. So do many other states. It's obv better than the Midwestern states and most of the states just on the east side of the Miss as well. But compared to Oregon? WA? Idaho? Utah? AZ? I don't think so.

My brother has been to SF several times (he likes it btw) and I've seen plenty of pictures, looks like a place I'd hate. LA/Hollywood might have a lot of "entertainment", but that comes with a lot of baggage that isn't even remotely worth it. Bums, trash, infrastructure falling apart, traffic, etc. Hollywood Blvd was seriously the biggest letdown of my life up to that point. Like you need to carry a broom and a gun to clear the trash and bums off a star before you can take a picture.

I guess you don't like Any cities then?

Utah is my favorite state to visit. Also I'd agree that Oregon and WA are better as far as coastline and forest. But as a whole CA is better than all of them to live in because of the variety. Within a 1-2 hour drive I can be in a desert, snow capped mountains, a beach, an entertainment capital, a theme park or a wine region. Within 5 hours i can be in the lowest point or the highest point in the lower 48. CA has something for everyone.

I've also explored AZ extensively and I wouldn't put it in a top 5 west of the Miss. Flagstaff region, Sedona and the Grand Canyon is incredibly beautiful, but the other national parks like Petrified Forest and Sonora Desert are pretty boring compared to Cali's. I do like the Navajo Nation, but mostly for the people, and the small Canyon de Chelly. Chiricahua and Tombstone. OK AZ is pretty nice but there are nicer places.

Idaho? Meh. Craters of the Moon was alright I guess? What did you love about that place?

Top 10:

1) California, because of the variety, and The High Sierras man.
2) Utah
3) Washington (except Seattle, F Seattle)
4) Oregon (Portland is great)
5) Colorado
6) Montana
7) Arizona
8) New Mexico
9) Idaho
10) Wyoming

Yes, I think most cities suck, but LA really is one of the worst by nearly any measure other than "number of dostuffplaces". San Diego is incredibly better in comparison. Cleaner, less traffic congestion, better weather/air, etc.

Western Colorado beats practically everything in the country imo, but east CO looks like Kansas. Such a stark contrast.

Yes, I think most cities suck, but LA really is one of the worst by nearly any measure other than "number of dostuffplaces". San Diego is incredibly better in comparison. Cleaner, less traffic congestion, better weather/air, etc.

Western Colorado beats practically everything in the country imo, but east CO looks like Kansas. Such a stark contrast.

Yeah idk, I couldn't live in a city but I like living on the outskirts of one. Plenty of live entertainment options.

Western Colorado is indeed incredible. Great Sand Dunes probably being my favorite spot, with Rocky Mountain NP a close 2nd.

From last year:
VqKD39e.jpg

RMNP is basically central though. If you're saying western CO, that's like Breckenridge to Grand Junction. SW Colorado is shit outside of the little spots in CO Springs and the Dunes

I've always wanted to live in Colorado. Preferably in a resort town like Telluride but anywhere would be sufficient.

I can literally count on one hand other states I've been to besides New York:

Maryland
NOLA
Virginia
Connecticut
New Jersey

Maryland was the worse. My friend went to Colorado last year and raved about it.