The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

For what it's worth...

Beef = bone out
Chicken = bone in (dark meat preferred)
Pork = bone in

Is the way I prefer things. Since chicken and pork have to be fully cooked, I can see where you're coming with the bone helping it be tender & less dry but yeah I like steak medium rare and even my hamburgers medium if I can get it. Pretty sure I'd eat all meat half raw if it wouldn't cause parasites to eat me back.

I can't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

Public education in poor neighborhoods is a shit show. They don't actually get the bad kids out because they want to keep their suspension rates low so it looks like they are doing okay. Meanwhile, you're writing countless sexual harassment stories, spending mad time calling parents (who are questionable people themselves), and breaking up fights that never get recorded. And it's really not the majority of kids. It's honestly just a few (typically the ones who are 16 or 15) that just need to gtfo of middle school already. Or ones who have her issues that they need to take care of through counseling before coming to school. /endrant

Holy shit, everyone needs to fucking chill. If you like bones, good for you, same if you don't. I admit I could've been less of an asshole with my post, my point still stands.

Anyways to funerary doom, what level of education are you speaking about? When ever schools have problems it's usually because the kids doesn't care about his or her education, trust me, I'm a high schooler and I know when I have issues its my fucking issue. If you are talking about middle school. All middle schools are shit, your dealing with the worst part of a humans developing cycle.

There are a few different intersectional solutions to the problem-school problem. The first and most easily implemented would be the end of compulsory education. Returning education to its rightful position as a privilege rather than a right would go some distance to bringing respect and effectiveness to the institution(s).

There are a few different intersectional solutions to the problem-school problem. The first and most easily implemented would be the end of compulsory education. Returning education to its rightful position as a privilege rather than a right would go some distance to bringing respect and effectiveness to the institution(s).

Just in case anyone was wondering why Dak's thread is the batshit thread :p

<3

The only problem with that is it can't be done. There would be public outrage. More effective imo is specializing education to a kids desired college/career path

For example I want to be a psychologist, I know I could take personal steps to help me but If they could integrate it into the system it'd be smoother and they could stop wasting my time with chem.
I fucking hate chemistry

I disagree with you, Dak. Education is not a privilege it's a right. A right that the DOE is doing a bad job at making it fair for everyone. Honestly, I see why kids are dropping out. If they are only exposed to what they know (the language and vocabulary) how can they compete with kids who like... Go to the museums on the weekends and have that advantage that they don't? Especially when schools aren't giving it to them.

when I was in middle school I read the classics like "To Kill a Mockingbird" or other books considered timeless. Now it's like "relate it to the students' life" so now they are reading books like "Push" where the characters talk like them and live similar situations (in shelters, domestic abuse, shootings etc). Now I don't think there's anything wrong with that and relating things to students. I support that. However, it becomes a problem when that's all that they are being taught. Fact of the matter is, state tests language will be more in line with the classics than inner city drama books and I don't see how those books and that focus will help them get ahead of their peers. There needs to be a combination of both. When I saw the English curriculum I was kinda disappointed. 7th grade science is the same thing. They are calling it "project based science" but It doesn't cover anywhere near the standards necessary for when they take that test in 8th grade for them to pass. I teach 8th grade science and because they did that project based science last year literally they didn't know humans were animals. That curriculum doesn't cover much of anything. It's boring and the students don't learn much science from it.

@RedStorm im a middle school teacher.

I disagree with you, Dak. Education is not a privilege it's a right. A right that the DOE is doing a bad job at making it fair for everyone. Honestly, I see why kids are dropping out. If they are only exposed to what they know (the language and vocabulary) how can they compete with kids who like... Go to the museums on the weekends and have that advantage that they don't? Especially when schools aren't giving it to them.

when I was in middle school I read the classics like "To Kill a Mockingbird" or other books considered timeless. Now it's like "relate it to the students' life" so now they are reading books like "Push" where the characters talk like them and live similar situations (in shelters, domestic abuse, shootings etc). Now I don't think there's anything wrong with that and relating things to students. I support that. However, it becomes a problem when that's all that they are being taught. Fact of the matter is, state tests language will be more in line with the classics than inner city drama books and I don't see how those books and that focus will help them get ahead of their peers. There needs to be a combination of both. When I saw the English curriculum I was kinda disappointed. 7th grade science is the same thing. They are calling it "project based science" but It doesn't cover anywhere near the standards necessary for when they take that test in 8th grade for them to pass. I teach 8th grade science and because they did that project based science last year literally they didn't know humans were animals. That curriculum doesn't cover much of anything. It's boring and the students don't learn much science from it.

That the position you hold in the first paragraph is widely held is a significant part of the reason that you are dealing with the problems enumerated in the 2nd paragraph. Going to museums or having access to tennis clubs or any other flashy "upper class advantage" has no bearing on the ability to acquire proficiency in the English language. When getting an education is once again something someone earns maybe parents and kids will start treating education and educators with respect.

Everything is a right these days.

@RedStorm You keep calling our society capitalist and I agree that in part it is, but education isn't a requirement for getting ahead in a capitalist society as you seem to think.

There are a lot of well educated bums, lay abouts and useless sponge fucks out there. Probably because they thought a degree would be all they needed to get ahead. In contrast there are a lot of poorly educated people that found success.

Reactions: Satanstoenail