The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

I think you may have misread my post but thx anyway bb.

I found 3 bands yesterday (all on the same label, seems to have been started last year) that are pretty good. Restive Plaggona, From Magdalena to Leftina and Matriarchy Roots.

there are definitely some later ones that absolutely scream 'help we're running out of ideas', but i think people overstate how consistently creative/cool/etc the first gen was. a lot of them are a bit shit.

My issue isn't the lack of creativity in newer gens but moreso the abundance of cuteness. I'm not anti cute, alright, truly. I love puppies and stuff, I'm not made of stone. But there's a lot more Pokemon now that look like they belong on your lap getting a cuddle instead of doing work in the gyms. I play because I wish I had battle monsters, not weird pets.

Last edited:
I think you may have misread my post but thx anyway bb.

I found 3 bands yesterday (all on the same label, seems to have been started last year) that are pretty good. Restive Plaggona, From Magdalena to Leftina and Matriarchy Roots.

You said, with death metal. This isn't even metal, let alone death metal.

Gameplay-wise, for sure.
In regards to the pokemon themselves, they kinda got really fucking dumb after the second gen.

Yeah because Voltorb, Diglett, Magnemite, Exeggcute, Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan (possibly the dumbest Pokémon ever created hur dur Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan hur dur) and Mr. Mime are great examples of creativity. This is a very played out view I notice people having, in the Pokémon fan circles.

There was never a greatly creative period for Pokémon and I've already gone into some detail on this when @Carpe Mortem said a similar thing. The Pokémon that seem stupid to us, seem so because we don't get the cultural references that a lot of the more retarded looking Pokémon are based on.

I mean, fucking Hell they go around saying their own name. Any chance of a good measure of creativity is tainted by that mere fact. Also, it's for kids.

Yeah because Voltorb, Diglett, Magnemite, Exeggcute, Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan (possibly the dumbest Pokémon ever created hur dur Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan hur dur) and Mr. Mime are great examples of creativity. This is a very played out view I notice people having, in the Pokémon fan circles.

I mean, fucking Hell they go around saying their own name. Any chance of a good measure of creativity is tainted by that mere fact. Also, it's for kids.

At least the hitmons are better than Sawk and Throh. Magnemite's family is also superior to that KlingKlang garbage.

I'm pretty sure some people that started in gen one are just blinded by nostalgia for the most part. Its a really messy game that doesnt even completely work right. (things like ghost not affecting psychic instead of being SE) 2nd gen was cool but the starters were all garbage and the entire Kanto region was a rushed afterthought. The 3rd gen completely changed everything for the better but was still a little flawed.

The pokemon saying their own names originated in the anime didnt it? They've always made noises in the games.

At least the hitmons are better than Sawk and Throh.

Honestly I probably prefer the designs of Sawk and Throh. Though those 4 Pokémon generally don't interest me much.

I'm pretty sure some people that started in gen one are just blinded by nostalgia for the most part.

This definitely seems to be the case, from my experiences. People totally gloss over the absolutely shit Pokémon from the first gen, as if shitty designs aren't an inherent feature of Pokémon itself.

The pokemon saying their own names originated in the anime didnt it? They've always made noises in the games.

Yeah, good point. There is only a year difference between the first game and the first animated series episode, but still you're right of course. But the two things are joined forever, especially if there is any overlap in the writers of the games and the writers of the series.

Oh shit I read it as in death metal + industrial/power electronics. Not the style death industrial itself. My mistake.

I know what power electronics is, just totally forgot that death industrial is a thing.

You said, with death metal. This isn't even metal, let alone death metal.

There was never a greatly creative period for Pokémon and I've already gone into some detail on this when @Carpe Mortem said a similar thing. The Pokémon that seem stupid to us, seem so because we don't get the cultural references that a lot of the more retarded looking Pokémon are based on.

The older Pokemon have at least a modicum of iconicity and distinctiveness, unlike, for example, the X/Y Pokemon that literally blur together for me. For every one 4th+ Gen Poke you show me to attempt to disprove this, I can show you three older ones that confirm it.

Whether they're "dumb" like Diglett or Electrode is irrelevant to what I am saying. I don't really see how my point can be debated tbh.

That lack of synchronicity always bugged me. The games came first and the show should have had Pokemon make similar sounds to the game. Although I'm sure it would have taken away the cute kids' show factor if there were just a series of terrifying grumbles and shrieks. Not to mention there aren't labels beneath all the Pokemon in the show so it would be harder to identify them unless it was forced into the dialogue.

Still. Would have been way cooler if they started off appealing that show to older children, shrieks and badassery and all.

Reactions: CiG
they did start doing that later, moreso anyway. there's plenty of fairly adult humour in there from the get-go too. everyone hates team rocket but they legit make me laugh out loud multiple times in just about any given episode, even now. i agree they could've been more creative with the sounds they make though.