The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

The older Pokemon have at least a modicum of iconicity and distinctiveness, unlike, for example, the X/Y Pokemon that literally blur together for me. For every one 4th+ Gen Poke you show me to attempt to disprove this, I can show you three older ones that confirm it.

Whether they're "dumb" like Diglett or Electrode is irrelevant to what I am saying. I don't really see how my point can be debated tbh.

That has nothing to do with the franchise and everything to do with you, you're romanticising your memories and coming entirely from a position of nostalgia.

voltorb is cool conceptually IMO, i like the whole *pokéball gone wrong/mutated and nobody knows why* thing. electrode looks like absolute dogshit though.

Enjoying a rare Saturday off while my van gets serviced and the timing belt gets replaced. Using my free time in the best way possible, drinking a Sam Adams Boston Lager, noodling on my bass and posting rubbish on the internet.

That has nothing to do with the franchise and everything to do with you, you're romanticising your memories and coming entirely from a position of nostalgia.
Nah man. Distinctiveness between Pokemon is a relatively objective thing to measure imo. :s

So give some examples.
Time to put my HBB Comparison Goggles (TM) on.

Limited to fourth gen only:

Snivy is a green Cyndaquil.
Emboar may as well be an evolution of Magmar.
Oshawott is basically a non-bird Piplup.
Pansage and Panpour are literally the same sprite with colors changed.
Gigalith looks like Giratina and any of the other shitbag Pokemon with the "sharp, colored jutting protrusions making the creature seem "aggressive" aesthetic.
Archeops, same thing.
Zoroark, same thing.
Haxorus, same exact thing.
Bouffalant is basically Tauros but fucking gay.
Bisharp, see above regarding "generic jutting Pokemon"
Scolipede is Giratina, if Giratina got fucked in the ass and broken emotionally by a Machamp in prison.
Krokorok is basically a ground-type Totodile.
Alomomola, see above regarding "generic jutting Pokemon"
Axew is another green Cyndaquil clone. in the same gen as the other Cyndaquil clone no less.
Braviary is the Native Ho-Oh.

This literally took me at most 20 minutes to compile. And again, I am not arguing quality, but straight-up visual distinctiveness/iconicity. None of these listed Pokemon are instantly recognizable as anything unique, half of the third-gen and up Pokemon are literal rip-offs of other pokeys.

Get rekt, gg, QED, checkmate etc etc.

You missed the part where Bisharp is fucking badass though.

The Pan monkeys are lame yeah, but the original Eevee line wasn't exactly much different, design wise.

The whole Oshawott/Piplup thing is pretty stupid too because one of a penguin and the other is an otter. No fucking clue what you're going for there. Samurott is a bizarre final evo that makes very little sense though. Oh every water starter is blue. Feel like that's where similarities end.

Reactions: CiG
The whole Oshawott/Piplup thing is pretty stupid too because one of a penguin and the other is an otter. No fucking clue what you're going for there. Samurott is a bizarre final evo that makes very little sense though. Oh every water starter is blue. Feel like that's where similarities end.
The species may be different but the visual aesthetic is near identical. Turn that stupid nub nose into a small beak and you have basically a Piplup.

All I am saying, is that there was a stylistic change that happened sometime where Pokemon started to blend together. I don't like it, I think it's kind of lame; I preferred the more amateur, less unified visual direction of the first and second gen.