The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Everyone in our house has a computer now. Me and my mum have laptops, my brother has an old desktop, and my dad has a new desktop.
Speaking of which, I built a new rig weeeeeeee

specs:
Intel core 2 quad - 2.66 ghz (8mb L2 cache)
4GB DDR3 RAM (single slot)
2 x nVidia Geforce 8800 GT 512MB SLI :)kickass:)
2 x 500GB SATA HDD's
liquid cooling system
Dell 24" Ultrasharp TFT widescreen

+ lots of supercool unmentioned bells and whistles

:D

Indeed I am, because I'm writing this sitting on my deck it the middle of a pine forest overlooking the ocean, not in my bedroom.
:kickass:

edit: 3ghz -> 2.66ghz

Opeth is having a headlining tour of their own in the fall; I'm going to that. I skipped the Dream Theater tour because I don't like 3 at all, I don't like Between the Buried and Me enough to pay to see them live, and the same with Dream Theater.
3 were amazing, to be honest. Better than Opeth, actually. Fucking godlike. I'd never heard them before, but they fucking ruled. BTBAM kinda sucked and I don't like DT, so I was bored shitless.

Awesome, I got quoted twice.

Dates? I might be interested in this since my only experience with them live was Gigantour, in which they played just 4 songs.
They played an hour last night and it was great, although they didn't do any fan favorites (Where was Windowpane? When? April Ethereal? Serenity Painted Death? They did The Drapery Falls, though)).

specs:
Intel core 2 quad - 3 ghz (8mb L2 cache)
2 x 500GB SATA HDD's
liquid cooling system

Quick question: Do you think your two sli'd cards are ultimately better than this either of these cards?

Card 1

Card 2

I ask this because I am unsure of the specs of your cards when using SLI, and would - like everybody with financial problems - be able to afford the best hardware I can get for the cheapest price.

specs:
Intel core 2 quad - 3 ghz (8mb L2 cache)
2 x 500GB SATA HDD's
liquid cooling system

Nice. But... your quad core. Please tell me you didn't get one of the new gen quad cores.

Also, ddr3 RAM = still overpriced. ddr2 is far less expensive and not much worse.

and... SLI = nono. SLI chipsets are crappy, can't overclock well and prone to overheating. crossfire would be a better bet, but tbh I'd have gone for a single gts 512mb, which would give you the same performance.

If you have liquid cooling, you can probably OC that procesor past 3.00ghz, mine is running at 3.4 on air. (q6700)

good choice of screen, they're stunning. Not what I have, but stunning.

What case did you pick?

I bet u use Vista since u have 4 gigs in which case I say

OWNED.

Erm... no? Vista is FAR more stable, more so than XP now, than when first released, and you get dx10 support, lots of nice gubbins, and more.

Quick question: Do you think your two sli'd cards are ultimately better than this either of these cards?

Card 1

Card 2

I ask this because I am unsure of the specs of your cards when using SLI, and would - like everybody with financial problems - be able to afford the best hardware I can get for the cheapest price.

9800s are re-labelled 8800s, they're going to be taken off the market soon anyway. No real performance gain for a steep price increase.
As mentioned before, I'd go for this

Lunch at work. God, it's great to have finally gotten a full night of sleep beforehand. For the past two or three months, I'd only been getting anywhere from 1 and 5 hours of sleep. It was horrible. Working part-time really fucks me up since I inevitably stay up late on the nights when I don't have to get up early. School stress and noisy apartment mates don't help either. But now school is over, and I'll be moving out of that goddamn apartment in about three weeks.

Damn. I wish I had gone, but I didn't have anyone to go with, besides some internet people I have never actually met. Oh well, I went to a Nationals game instead.

Dude, you missed quite a show. They did the same set last night as they did in Virginia.

The Well of Souls
Mirror, Mirror
Solitude
Emperor of the Void
Devil Seed
Dark are the Veils of Death
Crystal Ball
Of Stars and Smoke
A Sorcerer's Pledge

Encore:
Black Dwarf
Samarithan

Robert Lowe, in particular, was fucking awesome. There was a quiet moment between songs, and someone yelled "Messiah Who?", then people started chanting "Messiah sucks!". I think Lowe probably enjoyed that. You know, I almost didn't want to hear him sing Samarithan because I didn't think anyone could come close to how Messiah sang it, but he fucking nailed it.

9800s are re-labelled 8800s, they're going to be taken off the market soon anyway. No real performance gain for a steep price increase.
As mentioned before, I'd go for this
^
@ Belial

Nice. But... your quad core. Please tell me you didn't get one of the new gen quad cores.

Also, ddr3 RAM = still overpriced. ddr2 is far less expensive and not much worse.

and... SLI = nono. SLI chipsets are crappy, can't overclock well and prone to overheating. crossfire would be a better bet, but tbh I'd have gone for a single gts 512mb, which would give you the same performance.

If you have liquid cooling, you can probably OC that procesor past 3.00ghz, mine is running at 3.4 on air. (q6700)

good choice of screen, they're stunning. Not what I have, but stunning.

What case did you pick?
I ordered a Q6700, which is actually a 2.66Ghz, not a 3. Correction there. DDR3's better in terms of power consumption, but it wasn't much of an explicit choice. The board I've ordered supports it. (I had to go for an intel chipset for all the part time linux-related experimentation I'm aiming to do with this). The stuff's still 'on its way'.

I had saved up for a bigger rig since a really long time, so I had the liberty to be a bit extravagant. Hence the 8800GT's.. they are pure impulse but I'm excited for em :p. I've yet to pick a case, accessories and such.

I bet u use Vista since u have 4 gigs in which case I say

OWNED.
For the two boxes I already own, I run vista, xp, all distros of linux you can think of (and even 98 on one :p).

Praise teh lord for the service pack.