The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Being from Cincinnati, these are ubiquitous. There are like 4 Kroger stores within 7 miles of me (without looking it up but I'm probably close). It seems like their prices increase each time I go though. That's probably the price of food in general.

It seems like they are short on baggers all the time though. I have to bag my own groceries about 40% of the time which isn't bad since I can bag them how I want in that case but still

Yeah, Kroger is a huge grocer chain but I've never been in one/really lived near any. I've lived near some of their alternative stores like Fry's and Harris Teeter. Shopped at Fry's a lot when I lived in Arizona. We have Harris Teeters in eastern NC but they are overpriced.

how are aldi/lidl faring over there? here they're eating into the major chains' income so much that those chains are all freaking out and doing structural overhauls and firing masses of staff.

how are aldi/lidl faring over there? here they're eating into the major chains' income so much that those chains are all freaking out and doing structural overhauls and firing masses of staff.
"More than 1,600 stores" in the US according to Aldi. That's out of ~40,000 in the country.

screen-shot-2017-06-21-at-124622-pm.png

They're in the big league, but not taking over. I've never been to one personally, but there's one in my area, and I'll probably drop by one day out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Aldi is doing great over here. We've started actually going out of our way to use them for the weekly shopping because they're so much cheaper. Coles and Woolworths are still dominating for now though.

We've got 2 Aldi's and a Lidl in my town. One Aldi and the Lidl just opened in the last yearish, and the Lidl was part of a major store opening/ad blitz. I'm not a big fan. Some ok prices but they aren't really any better than Walmart, and the 2-3 items they are better priced on aren't worth a separate trip.

Aldi is doing great over here. We've started actually going out of our way to use them for the weekly shopping because they're so much cheaper. Coles and Woolworths are still dominating for now though.

ha, woolworths? those used to be commonplace here but they got liquidated.

but yeah, we do the same. most of their shit is an accurate (occasionally even superior) rip-off of well known brands for cut prices, and then they have some real nice unusual stuff, i love their pizzas. what dak said doesn't apply here, they're distinctly cheaper than major retailers (including asda which is our walmart i suppose). plus they don't do small talk (or any customer service really haha) and process your shit ultra fast, although you have to pack it yourself at high speed, which i quite like but it's an acquired taste i suppose.

ha, woolworths? those used to be commonplace here but they got liquidated.

but yeah, we do the same. most of their shit is an accurate (occasionally even superior) rip-off of well known brands for cut prices, and then they have some real nice unusual stuff, i love their pizzas. what dak said doesn't apply here, they're distinctly cheaper than major retailers (including asda which is our walmart i suppose). plus they don't do small talk (or any customer service really haha) and process your shit ultra fast, although you have to pack it yourself at high speed, which i quite like but it's an acquired taste i suppose.
Yeah that threw me the first time I went there by myself. Totally fine with it now though and I prefer it to the self serve machines at the majors.

The sales at Aldi here where they have like 50 outdoor settings for $30 each etc always end up in the news the next day because several families have punched on whilst trying to grab the last one :D

Aldi stores are reasonably common here. We also have Trader Joe's, which is literally just Aldi for people who like to spend extra money. I usually just go to Publix because they have good sales.

We don't have Walmarts in Prague, I don't know what Aldi is, but we do have Lidls and now I'm on the Gozo Island and there's one Lidl here as well. Heh, I guess it's just everywhere.

Our Aldi here is gross smelling and has weird off brand stuff that looks a little like joke items. Walmart and Kroger dominate this area. I also use Dollar General for random odds and ends or snacks for work.

Reactions: divine_torture
Our Aldi here is gross smelling and has weird off brand stuff that looks a little like joke items. Walmart and Kroger dominate this area. I also use Dollar General for random odds and ends or snacks for work.

You do realize the whole point of Aldi's is off brand stuff?

I fucking love that store. I can get 2 weeks worth of groceries, a bottle or two of red wine, and maybe even a sixer for about $65. I do that at Walmart, Kroger, or Jewel and I'm sitting well over 100.

Reactions: Satanstoenail