Themed Mixtape Game Mk. 2

Scene from Wizard of Gore
corporate goons with blood on their hands, what else is new?

Impetigo - Wizard of Gore

a rung below early death or autopsy for me and i'm more of a '90s DM guy in any case, but 'tis classic creeping horror shit, grisly and fucked in the head.
7/10

Varathron - Hellwitch (Witches Gathering)

i should probably revisit this album 'cause i like this better than i remembered. i'm sure what put me off was the melodies which stray too far into sappy melodeath/peaceville territory (i.e. on the chorus), and contrary to CiG i do think this is at the wimpier end of black metal tbh, but it's extremely catchy and then around the 3 minute mark it starts mounting up into a damn good climax. big rush from "the blood, the flesh, and satan himselffffff" exploding into the faster riff, that's the good stuff. 8/10

Saint Vitus - Mystic Lady

never liked the opening riff of this song much, but other than that it's one of the best on the album. granted that album is ofc the weakest of the first 3 reagers and this isn't peak vitus by any stretch, but still strong. 7.5/10

Black Knight - Day of the Wizard

the fuck? i'm familiar with master of disaster but i've never heard this. obviously i'm gonna adore everything about this, total chef's kiss of a tune, easy mastery. 9.5/10

Black Magic - Rite of the Wizard

these guys aren't really anything special in the songwriting department and there isn't an original bone in their bodies, but they clearly have stellar taste in music and know exactly how to recapture the spirit of it. sometimes that's enough... killer destruction riff on the verses, bridge is a solid as fuck di anno-era maiden homage, some of the lead guitar and vocal stylings are informed by mercyful fate, what's not to like? i guess i could do without the warmed over early '80s speed metal riff leading into the verses. 7.5/10

Barathrum - Dark Sorceress (Autumn Siege)

ahhh yes, an oft forgotten staple of the pompey canon. doesn't do a ton for me though, i know the stripped down simplicity is meant to be the point but more often than not sparse doomy black metal stuff leaves me cold (see also: a lot of classic varathron), i just need more going on. i do like the opening section but even then it's just manowar with shittier vocals. 6/10

Savatage - White Witch

this does get by on sheer charisma and exuberance but it's not one of the stronger songs on this album, chorus is cookie cutter. vocals and musicianship are fucking god tier though let's be real. 7.5/10

Mystifier - An Elizabethan Devil Worshipper's Prayer Book

this one i do love. truly fucking ancient and occult sounding, creepy as fuck, quintessential south american cult shit. the rambling barely coherent vocals are badass, and when it speeds up it doesn't disappoint either. 8.5/10

Obtained Enslavement - Warlock

i considered submitting something from this myself, probably the most legendary symphonic BM album (emperor who?). i should've done tbf, way better than my pick. unlike so many bands like this they actually have serious technical and compositional chops which helps a lot. OH MIGHTY WARLOCK, FORGOTTEN BY TIME... 9/10

Necrodeath - The Revenge of the Witches

it's a little superficial but i do enjoy this kind of amped up hateful riffy black thrash now and again (see also: ad hominem), and i agree with CiG there's something a little off-kilter here which helps it stand out. i especially love the garbage can toms(?) skittling in at the end of the mid-paced slayer riff. didn't even know they were still around, let alone had a billion albums out since fragments of insanity. 8/10

i can get weary of these slow building ballads with post-rock structures myself but this hits the spot and works great as a playlist closer, the climax is pretty fucking colossal. 8.5/10

one of the better playlists we've had IMO, can't wait for the next round when only 3 people participate!

I will rate if you give me until later today....tried multiple times but by the time i type everything out this site boots me out and it doesn't save anything i write. It only keeps me logged in for like 5 minutes and then i have to log back in:err:

HNuADBN.gif

Impetigo - Wizard of Gore 9/10
fan of these guys! Good music for chopping up some meat.

Varathron - Hellwitch (Witches Gathering) 7/10 liked it from the get go! Out of my wheelhouse, but not bad

Saint Vitus - Mystic Lady 8/10 never really got i to these guys. Something I'd probably be more into or rate higher if i was in the right mood....oh, wait 3:15 to about 5:30....pretty fucking cool. Bumped it up a point

Black Knight - Day of the Wizard 8.5/10 just some classic heavy metal...fan of female vocals

Black Magic - Rite of the Wizard 8/10 blocked or hidden from me on the playlist...so looked it up on my own. Enjoyed it....hope it's the right song

Barathrum - Dark Sorceress (Autumn Siege) 5/10

Savatage - White Witch 7/10
guys are pretty alright

Mystifier - An Elizabethan Devil Worshipper's Prayer Book 4/10 feel like I've heard these guys before possibly in this game, but not feeling it.

Obtained Enslavement - Warlock 4/10 see above about the not feeling part.

Necrodeath - The Revenge of the Witches 7/10 some cool leads and pretty cool riffs scattered about here. to have a burkhard moment, don't really care for the vocals but whatever, was pretty enjoyable

Avatarium - Lady in the Lamp 7/10 fuck is this?! Don't know but kind of liked it

Squeezed in what i could before i get the boot

Last edited:
Impetigo - Wizard of Gore -> Great classic shit 9/10. I'm sure it was CiG's choice.
Varathron - Hellwitch (Witches Gathering) -> cool new stuff from them 8/10
Saint Vitus - Mystic Lady -> solid shit from the mighty Vitus 8.5/10
Black Knight - Day of the Wizard 7/10
Black Magic - Rite of the Wizard -> Slightly better than the previous track. I love the vocals! 7.5/10
Barathrum - Dark Sorceress (Autumn Siege) -> Very good, loved the later part of the track 8/10
Savatage - White Witch -> Classic Savatage album; love it 8/10
Mystifier - An Elizabethan Devil Worshipper's Prayer Book -> Fucking gloomy and slow and dragging. Cool atmosphere. 6/10
Obtained Enslavement - Warlock -> It's weird but I like it. That riff at 0:54 is fucking awesome and otherworldly! 8/10
Necrodeath - The Revenge of the Witches -> Very cool, might check that band out later 7.5/10
Avatarium - Lady in the Lamp -> not for me sry. a terrible ending to what is a very enjoyable playlist 2/10

Merry Christmas to you, dudes and dudettes!