Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

ill add that people who like obscure indecipherable music just because they are obscure and indecipherable (and not known by many people) are idiots. however, i think its safe to say that most people who do listen to such music are open-minded and more adventerous, so to speak.
I would compare it to watching movies: many people/idiots only watch blockbuster hits that are very popular and have terrible scripts. and then there are others who, in a way, risk going to movies that have had barely any exposure in order to find a well thought out movie that was actually written by a human, and not a monkey.

Sort of a difficult comparison to make Kielbasa, considering the massive spectrum of music and the whole mainstream/underground debate.

I agree with the point your making though.

I don't see the problem with being really passionate about a band you like. It's a good thing. Of course it usually shows ignorance of other bands but so what? If someone's enjoying the music they're listening to then that's great. Fuck everyone else.

etotheipiequalsminus1 said:
I don't see the problem with being really passionate about a band you like. It's a good thing. Of course it usually shows ignorance of other bands but so what? If someone's enjoying the music they're listening to then that's great. Fuck everyone else.

Well said.

My absolute rundown of this topic is this....

Tons of people in bands, and tons of fans all across the world love 60s and 70s music, whether it be classic rock, progressive rock, singer/songwriter, folk, pop, etc.....

nobody ever gives a shit when someone is a deep purple or led zeppelin fan, because many people are. and nobody takes any notice when a person in a band they like is a fan of 60s or 70s music...

but for some retarded/godawful/rediculous/illogical/fanatic/obssesive reason...when Mikael mentioned he liked music from the 60s and 70s, people went nuts.

THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME. who gives a shit what mikael likes really, he likes most the same bands as everyone else (deep purple, led zeppelin, tool, yes, king crimson, morbid angel, bathory, venom, candlemass, etc), besides the somewhat obscure bands he has mentioned in interviews and such (like camel)...his taste is good, but nothing groundbreaking at all.

The point is, there ARE insane and ignorant fanatic fanboys who obsess over the man, and for some odd reason need to listen to the same things he does. Not just "people finding out about music by word of mouth".

Do the footwork yourself people, find out the bands for yourselves, dont just adapt someone elses taste to your own. what if mikael decides not to play metal anymore...id be curious to see how many fans pull the "im not into metal anymore, just mellow and prog stuff". its absurd.

MightyA said:
Are you serious?

Yea, for real... do you even think before you talk? Every band has fans like this... live with it and stop whining. Cry me a river. We get it, you're not a fanboy and you don't like people you think are fanboys. They're not all going to go away or change because you don't like them.

Im not wanting them to go away or stop...for then i would have no purpose in life. i would wander the streets aimlessly looking for fanboys to mock and flame...but i wouldnt find any. in fact, just thinking about it makes me want to cry you a river afterall. oh no, i dont know what to do with myself. :yell:

That is so fucking stupid, reffer to my last post. The fans obviously do have tastes of their own, which is how they've come about Opeth and numerous other metal bands. It's the influences of Opeth that open up the world of mellow and progressive to alot of people... you somehow see this to be a bad thing, and I cannot for the fucking life of me see your reasoning as to why.

Why are you so adamant at trying to purge out the fans that actually try to gain something from the band's influences? How much of a % of Opeth's fanbase are we talking here? Because in times past on this forum there have been many people that have disagreed with the musical turns Opeth have taken, alot have left now... You seem to categorize almost all fans into this group where we all grasp onto Mikael's word like it's the fucking word of jesus or something. You are talking about at most 10% of the fanbase, because on here you will find people that don't like a majority of Mikael's influences, some even only like Orchid, or Morningrise and they don't like what the band have done since. The sheep you're trying to describe are a minority, as they are with every band.

LordHypnos said:
If you are not part of this 10% you speak off, then why are you so adimant about arguing this subject with me?
Why? Is it a necessity for me to be in that demographic when questioning the logic behind your reasoning?

As Shroud just said, it's about justifying your generalisations.

Exactly, meaning everything you've said up to this point have been baseless generalisations and you have nothing to substantiate them with. It's not about whether we like it or not, it's about it not making any sense.

LordHypnos said:
i will explain it to you through a single occurance involving your beloved opeth fans. i have posted this here once before, but it looks i must do it again...

los angeles house of blues - damnation tour

Mikael - "People in sweden call us the scorpions of sweden."

Crowd - "BOOOOOO!!!! SCORPIONS SUCK!!!"

Mikael - "But i like the scorpions, so i dont mind that label."

Crowd - "YEAHHHHHH!!!!!"

it was that exact moment that i really took a look at the fanboys i often mocked, but now it was something else. The band has created a monster of stupidity/ignorance/close mindedness and overall retardation. Even though i enjoy Opeth's music, i wont call myself an opeth fan any longer.
I was at that show man. I remember when he said that, then after he said the Scops of sweden I yelled out "Big City Nights" my girl friend laughed and I had one guy look at me funny. I love the scorps and ufo, but some people will just do what they are told. It would've been cool to hear a Scorps cover though.

IcedMadness said:
I was at that show man. I remember when he said that, then after he said the Scops of sweden I yelled out "Big City Nights" my girl friend laughed and I had one guy look at me funny. I love the scorps and ufo, but some people will just do what they are told. It would've been cool to hear a Scorps cover though.
there you go folks...clarification.