Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

If one feels passionately about anything (in our case, music), a natural curiosity is bred. I am interested in the origins of things and influences (be they societal, personal, musical, etc) - If I can glean some better understanding of why Opeth affects me and so many others in such a profound way (and even Hypnos must have had one of those "Opeth" moments, but he'll never admit it) by listening to music "recommended" by Mikael, then why not? I enjoy 70s rock as it is. I enjoy long, flowing guitar lines. If I'd heard Camel under any other circumstance I would be a fan as I am today.

It's not hero-worship or fanboyism, it's merely interest in many forms of music and willingness to open my mind.

It doesn't matter if you've been a fan since Orchid was released, if you downloaded Windowpane and fell in love, or if someone played Moonlapse and you creamed your jeans. Every person who listens to Opeth (or any music) will ascribe their own thoughts and emotions to it, and some will begin to associate elements of their own life to lyrics or a guitar riff. In a few years, those feelings may be stronger or weaker; regardless of one's state of fandom (fanboy, active, lapsed, hypnos), those hours spent listening are gone, and have had an irreparable effect on the listener.

Embrace that notion in every second of music you hear, and be thankful that people out there are creating it, and making it available to you.

hoo...time to smoke a joint!

Frank zappa did something remotely like that on a gig in Berlin. He marched in on the stage and did the "heil hitler" salution over and over again and after a little while the crowd started to do the same thing and then Zappa stopped and said: -I'm not playing for you nazi-idiots and left without playing.

It could also have been this way around:

Mikael - "People in sweden call us the scorpions of sweden."

Some guys in the crowd - "BOOOOOO!!!! SCORPIONS SUCK!!!"

Mikael - "But i like the scorpions, so i dont mind that label."

OTHER guys in the crowd - "YEAHHHHHH!!!!!"

Mot-....No, that isnt possible. i was standing next to many of the people doing this. i was also standing next to a rather portly young man who smelled of something not of this earth...during the entire show, he would repeatedly scream on the top of his lungs "opeth fucking kicks ass!!!"....after every single song, and several times between each song as well. Mikael then took a moment to introuduce the band, in which this kid...(who was red in the face at this point, and looked like he was going to keel over and have a heart attack)...proceeded to scream the same thing after each member was introduced. Mikael finally gets to the session keyboardist and introduces him as the man standing in on keyboards from spiritual beggars. I then hear this remarkable young man standing next to me (thats right the same fat and smelly one i spoke of earlier), mention he hadnt even noticed him back there...then proceeded to give a final scream of hoarseness "well he fucking kicks ass toooo!"....at this moment, the young man vomited and passed out.

Now, i want you all to ponder what just happened here. I myself was in shock and disgust as you can imagine. All of this, including the series of events i mentioned at the beginning of this thread....over a band that makes melodic death metal music with acoustic parts. Something doesnt add up as you can see...youd think it was the beatles up on stage. i rest my case.

Opeth kick the beatles ass imo. Lordhypnotic why the fuck are you generalizing every single opeth fan over a supposed "dozen" people or so who sheepishly changed their opinion about the scorpions in mid sentence all due to Mikael's approval? Or generalizing all Opeth fans to 1 metabolically challenged boyscout who had one too many screwdrivers? Do you do the same towards creeds and colors? If a couple black people get on your bad side do you lump the whole race up in pile and stereotype the one's you've never met? Same goes for any race, religion, or class. You speak of which you do not know. Are you a fucking princess who has never acted stupid while drunk? (Due to morbid obesity a 100 heinekins couldn't give you a buzz) Stfu and quit bitchin. You sound like the posterchild for the "Tampax was there" campaign. If you don't like Opeth then go toss Luminous Aether salad and be done with it!

If you guys have such a problem with what this lord hypnos is saying, why dont you just stop posting in this thread? instead, everyone seems to be sinking to his level by insulting him back. seems counter productive to me.

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
If you guys have such a problem with what this lord hypnos is saying, why dont you just stop posting in this thread? instead, everyone seems to be sinking to his level by insulting him back. seems counter productive to me.

True, the only way to seek victory is by ignoring the faggot.

Such idiots are at every concert... Last week i went to an Ensiferum/Finntroll gig, and there was this guy constantly going on the stage and screaming around. He annoyed just EVERYONE. When he did Stagediving, we took his shoes and threw them away, and then let him fall onto the ground.

Self-Justice owns.

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
Insult? I was merely trying to extract the rationale from his arguement. After all, discussion IS what message boards are for.

I was reading the CoB forums and some guy posted a thread titled "Opeth is more prog than CoB", like he was trying to get a rise out of the CoB fans. Of course, nobody took the bait, but guys like him give the rest of us a bad rap.

I read the thread too. He was just taken a little too serious over a random/unnecessary comment to make bodom forum nuts mad. It was a silly thing to do in the first place.

Personally, i think the opeth fans in this forum are pretty good. Such a wellrounded fanbase here, because the musical tastes differ from the other forums on ultimate metal. I think the opeth fans here are also much more mature than some of the regulars in the arch enemy or bodom forums.