DIMMU BORGIR

I got one for the studio, love it! I still use pro tools plug ins ofcourse but bring it up the ssl and tweak. Yes tried Slates fgx, I actually like to use my limiters to glue the mix slightly and that is very transparent. It seems good and I was even beta testing it but I'm really digging the flexibility of ozone right now, esp the m/s eq etc.

cost basically. The aws does everything I need and sounds great. I looked at these desks when they first came out and really wanted one then but just couldn't warrant spending the cash.

just listened to "gateway" on youtube. brilliant song and i really love the female vocals. is there a different mix for the video or did you mix the orchestra parts that dominant?
i really like it. have to buy the album. the drums (snare, toms) are 100% sample replaced?

yes its def dominant, thats how they wanted it.
Obviously it'd be nice if the aws have dynamics on every channel but I'm just going to get some more in an x rack + still using plug ins on alot of stuff too anyway so its working out.

Incredibly balanced mix. I might be wrong but the main vocal seems to be panned a bit off center. Was there a lot of double tracking on vocals, or did you use any sort of pitch shifting to create that effect?

Andy would you mind telling us more about how you treated the orchestra?

• Did you eq is as a whole or in groups?
• Did you low cut it?
• Did you compress it at all?
• Did you automate it? As a whole or just groups?
• Did you add reverb? If so what did you use? And did you add it to the whole or to parts separately?

I think that's it (for now...) ;)

i had to make stems as session was too big to run within song tracks. It was tracked in three passes, whole orchestra, then another pass of just strings as the brass would kill strings on first pass. Then choirs.
I then compressed and eq'd stems in main session, theses were also automated around main track and vocals.
There was more verb added but not huge amounts.

Andy; how do you go about when mixing two different amps without getting the stereo image asymmetrical if you get what I mean?
Were they pretty similar sounding prior to mixing or do you mix them to sound kinda similar? How were they panned in the end?

I've actually started doing this more(2 different tones), especially if there's just 2 guitars, it tends to widen the mix. Also you arent exaggerating any odd frequencies, it can be a bit more forgiving.
There was 4 tracks on dimmu so its all blackstar one side , all 5150 the other. I felt it sounded better blending the two but again, the guys were set on how they wanted it.