DIMMU BORGIR

hey ad, welcome.
thats usually down to the band or drummers request. I prefer it from fan perspective but if a drummer wants it that way the i go with it.

do you mix the same in both cases and then just swap L/R or do you mix "the other way round" from the beginning already?
cause I can't really do it...usually I'm mixing from the drummers perspective (cause I'm airdrumming along all the time), but when I try to mix from the audience' perspective the "wrong" drumfill is kinda kicking me out of the mix.
so what I do is mix like I'm used to and then just swap L/R in the end.

To Lasse:

Although that makes sense, it really depends though IMO, if you start mixing drums on fan perspective and create a "3D" perspective, as in, say, the rack toms are closer to you and the floor toms are pushed a bit further away, since that;s what you perceive when in the audience. If you mix that way then swap L/R in the end youll get the whole depth of the kit wrong, meaning the floor toms should be slightly closer to you than the rack toms and they're the other way around.

I still havent bought this album though, Im going to this month, really keen on having a listen! ^^

Just picked this up yesterday and it reminds me of how Mr. Sneap made me want to get into audio in the first place! Sounds sooo good.

Music's not bad either. ;)

To Lasse:

Although that makes sense, it really depends though IMO, if you start mixing drums on fan perspective and create a "3D" perspective, as in, say, the rack toms are closer to you and the floor toms are pushed a bit further away, since that;s what you perceive when in the audience. If you mix that way then swap L/R in the end youll get the whole depth of the kit wrong, meaning the floor toms should be slightly closer to you than the rack toms and they're the other way around.

I still havent bought this album though, Im going to this month, really keen on having a listen! ^^

er no thats not what we do now is it!

well, i'm sure andy will from now on consult you regarding every mix decision ^^

going to pick up the album tomorrow. i'm constantly listening to the two songs on myspace and it totally slays. can't wait to hear the full album in the studio.
hell, i even dig the shit out of the witch vocals in gateways. it was weird at first but i'm totally loving it now.

To Lasse:

Doesn't make sense to me dude. When you're actually listening to a band in front of you does the floor tom sound quieter than the rest of the toms? probably not.

If you did this, would you always have drums lower because the dude's in the back?

Andy would you tell us which amp is which? I find the left one to be brighter and sharper than the right one and so it feels to me a tad louder. So I was wondering if you equalized it brighter because it's on the hi hats side and if you ever take this into consideration. Also regarding overheads and toms, do you ever automate their pannings during certain parts or leave them totally untouched during the whole songs.
And two more questions for you: when the band kicks in do you low cut the orchestra or use a wide cut in the "conflicting area" (let's say 80 to 240Hz), and finally what do you use Ozone M-S eq for?
Thanks and sorry for asking so many questions but I'm listening to the album with headphones right now and it's bloody fabulous!!!

i think its blackstar on the left, peavey on the right. I just did what I felt was needed to make the tones work together. No I didn't eq the orchestra different when the band is in. Ozone eq was on the mastering

Sinister Mephisto: I believe he's not talking about pure volume but depth like "more verb on distant elements".

This is what I was referring to, nor was I implying anything to Andy... Jesus christ guys, did I actually sounded like I was being arrogant or something? Everyone jumps on the bandwagon like I was attacking someone. I was just pointing out something, and not volume but depth/ambiance...

Please do proceed with the normal discussion and ignore this.

- Born Treacherous
- Gateways
- Ritualist
- The Demiurge Molecule
- Gateways orchestral

^ got my most plays.. by far best songs..

This whole mix is just awesome. Everything clear and heavy.
This mix for is the first mix to top the Doomsday Machine mix...