DIMMU BORGIR

I took a very elaborate listen now.
The Production is very nice as stated, but I would have changed some of the volumes of some tracks. Andy already stated that the band wanted the orchestra so far up front and the guitars so unpresent, but I would have really liked it the other way around.
I gotta say I was a big fan of In Sorte Diabolo (I seem to be one of a very few) mainly because every song had this extremely cool octave-chord riff that really pounded the shit out of me with the orch. and drums.
On this album these riffs are there again, but they are not pronounced enough IMHO. The orch itself is so mighty because of the sheer mass of instruments (compared to a few violins and horns on ISD) that it would have probably been present enough with loud guitars. Again this is a direction that the band took and it doesn't really concern production that much.
To me it has kind of taken the step from "Symphonic Black Metal" to "Black Metal Symphony".
And then theres Shagrath.
I mean, I like his vocals and voice, but he's clearly whispering more than hes screaming on this album.
Thats not always a bad thing and I think the vocalmix is awesome, especially with all the grain and darkness during the whispering speeches, but its all way to loud for my taste. I've never liked how that guy was so upfront in Dimmu in general, but thats again a band question (I also guess the band decided to have him so present).
This is all kind of nitpicking though.

Conclusion: I wanna hear more guitars/drums and less shagrath :loco:

This is may be one of the best Metal productions of All Time, so FUCKING good. The music is cool too, they have something unique going on, I dig all the vocal treatment. There are a couple of cheezy songs for sure but overall great shit.

I've got the album recently and i got to admit that it sounds pretty freakin good!

I think that great part of the sound comes from arrangements.
Mixes are ridiculously clear and tight (but i'm missing the guitars sometimes - but, like it was said before, it was a band's will)
There are some really cool songs, but the last two (except orchestral ones) are just boring :yuk:

I'm a big fan of mixes tho (aren't we all? :D )

Andy, maybe i'm super wrong, but are you still using some D4 snares??? If the answer is yes, wich snares were blended in this mix???

This record sounds amazingly clear! Incredible work as always :headbang:

use your ears mate, should be easy to find out if you own a D4 :)

C'mon Lasse!!! somethin' tells me that you have privileged information:devil::devil:
"Darker","Brighter" and "Standard" are my bets...

...maybe!??!?!
2005_07_21_shrek_cat.jpg

The only thing i've ever seen here about Andy using D4 Snares is the Killswitch Engage "Fat City" Snare and believe me pal, i've searched a lot.
There's a very little info about Andy snares really...everyone is more interested in guitar tones etc...
I would love to have more info about the new aproach Andy is having to snares lately. The information available is pretty old, and we can hear a lot of differences between an Anthems of Rebelion snare and the new Accept/Megadeth/Nevermore ones.
Some info about what skins he's diggin right now and some Tama Drum Dial values would be like gold, but i know he's not gonna respond :(

PS:...and yeah, i bought Metric Halo Channel Strip and tried the "set the ratio to max, start to open the attack till get some pop" trick, and this really gets me into the ball park but, more info would be nice :D

first of all congratulations for your work on this album,one of your best !!!!and i believe the most difficult.
i wanted to ask you about the drums.is this an electronic drumkit?and about the bass how did you make that sound?it fucking rules

So my girlfriend and I decided to listen to gateways and then to a song from Puritanical, since she hates what Dimmu have become without Mustis. Well... the difference in sound quality is mind-boggling :guh:

I have nothing against studio Fredman but all the boominess and ear-piercing highs gave me an instant headache, whereas the new album's epic production gave me an instant...

...that's right, satisfaction :saint:

Also, +1 on it and the new Exodus being two totally different types of "awesome"

Now give us new kick samples :D

I remember the Dimmu guyes saying they wanted to go for an analog drums sound on this one. The whole kit (kick, toms, snare) sounds kinda 50/50 analog/sampled to me, anyone know if this is correct?

I do miss some meatier louder guitars though... ;)