DIMMU BORGIR

eq, multi band, harmonic and loudness.
no, no finalizer, tried it but got better results with ozone.
I got one for the studio, love it! I still use pro tools plug ins ofcourse but bring it up the ssl and tweak. Yes tried Slates fgx, I actually like to use my limiters to glue the mix slightly and that is very transparent. It seems good and I was even beta testing it but I'm really digging the flexibility of ozone right now, esp the m/s eq etc.

Ha! And so many people have tried telling us Ozone 4 isn't in the same league as the Finalizer/Slate's FG-X/various other $$$ limiters... I'm happy to see not only that you like it and have used it with great results, but that you actually used more than just the loudness maximizer.

Have you used it before or just recently picked it up to try out? Which mode are you using on the Loudness Maximizer... Intelligent I or II maybe?

I own both Ozone 4 and FG-X, and I've been thinking about selling FG-X. I like them both, but, despite Slate's claims, I think Ozone's maximizer is pretty transparent on the intelligent modes, and it offers a lot more with the eq, multiband comp, etc.

Congrats on the AWS 9000 pickup. Did you mix into its master bus comp before hitting Ozone?

Mix sounds great by the way. I'm not really a Dimmu fan, but I gave it a listen and it sounded great.

Album arrived today. Goddamn, I was not expecting this. I've never been a fan of black metal, but this is ridiculous, intro sounds fantastic, everything sounds stellar. Ridiculous!

TIP! Go to iTunes search for the album, there's a download version of "The Demiurge Molecule (orchestral)"...it's EPIC!!!!

@ Andy. Do you know if they first recorded the orchestral parts then the band or the other way around? Looking at the videos of Gateways and Dimmu Borgir of the orchestra it doesn't look like they're playing along on headphones or any other playback, not even the conductor... So this puzzles me a bit.

Sounds fucking great Andy. Honestly I think this is your best work to date. Everything on this just Slays! Its definitely a breakout from the traditional thin Black metal style. I am not a big fan of this band either but as always I have to order the CD's you produce and listen to them ...lol

Seriously man, bravo, bravo! you make Black metal listenable for me :)

And about the Doomsday Machine comment ... i agree totally, this mix is much more crushing and in your face!

The first track on the record sounds monstrous. It must've been really fun to mix such an involved orchestral performance with no guitars, drums etc. competing with it for a change, Andy?

I didn't read most of the thread, but it really sounds like the SSL is featured here. The whole thing is really well glued.

+1 on the whole Ozone as opposed to FG-X thing. I was telling people on the original GS thread I still preferred the Ozone for the glue it adds, but they weren't having any of it... especially Steven, haha. Maybe as better saturation tools develop for transient control FG-X can become more widely applicable when a transparent loudness tool is required.

So I picked this up and am definitely eating my words about the orchestra haha... Must have just been the YouTube quality or something that stopped me from really hearing everything but there is a ton going on and the orchestra sounds phenomenal...

This mix rules Andy, nice job man!!!

LOL ... well if this is any type of consolation on all of this.

James Labrie's new CD with the JB mix was 1st in the 6 disk player in the car. Its not any more, the new Dimmu is .... lol

I seriously can not believe the amount of depth and sheer size you got in this mix. Fucking AMAZING! This thing is really just huge, beefy and pure fucking metal to the max!

By far the best sounding album I have heard this year.

How did the mix go on the ssl? Do you mix down to 24 tracks itb and then complete on the board? I assume this isn't for ease of integrating outboard as most would have to be done before everythings comped down to only 24 faders. Really interested in this as I'm considering employing a hybrid workflow and would love to hear how you have integrated it into your workflow. With a stellar mix right off the block no less lol.