Dio Tribute "Kill The King" Song Discussion

Way too much limiting for my taste. I think there was a discussion about this in the main thread and most people were after less aggressive mastering for this project.

In fact we decided the mastering will be done by one person to all finished mixes, so even if Jevo limited it a bit for reference, the final mix should not have any limiting in the master bus

I've heard Steene in Force of Evil (two records). It was a band with Mercyful Fate guys, that's why I was interested in it. I must say I didn't like his vocals at all - I thought it was the weakest point there : ) However, normally I don't sound like that - Kill the King was on the edge of my scale. Usually I sing much, much lower.

I've heard Steene in Force of Evil (two records). It was a band with Mercyful Fate guys, that's why I was interested in it. I must say I didn't like his vocals at all - I thought it was the weakest point there : ) However, normally I don't sound like that - Kill the King was on the edge of my scale. Usually I sing much, much lower.

Well I kinda meant it as a compliment so don't take it badly now that I know you don't like it haha

I'm working on a new mix, highpassing guitars to avoid struggle between bass & guitars... I'll post it tonight.

Sounds good paella king, looking forward to it

I mean the start of the solo. It starts weirdly.

I listened to it again and I'm gonna try and redo it, either tonight or tomorrow night (parents are in town till tuesday morning).

When I listened to it again it sounded like I hesitated..

-P

I like this, it's more natural. I would even out main vocal a bit because there are moments where it almost disappears ("move away from harm"). I'd suggest riding faders pre compression.

I like this mix much more, pretty cool. Not really any complaint, but the drums sound a bit too programmed which can't really be helped cause they ARE programmed. Have you tried humanizing them a bit like playing with velocities on the midi file? as in 1st beat always harder, 3rd a bit lower, then 2nd then 4th kinda thing? It's really annoying to do but sometimes it really helps to give the drums a bit more live feel

Just so the rest of the guys know, I'll be punching in on the intro to my solo sometime between tonight and saturday.. shouldn't hinder any mixing progress since we're using the DI track and Jevo just needs to drop the new track in and keep the settings the same...

Liking the last mix alot :-D

-P

Rip-G, I gotta say your voice reminds me a lot of Martin Steene, a dude from a once awesome Danish band called Iron Fire, ever heard them? listening to this song makes me want to listen to some Iron Fire hahahaha

heheh check your inbox.

Sorry for crashing, I don't read the whole thread, so you might think the same as me already but I think those addictive drums don't fit the song so much. Have you ever considered using different drum samples?

Sorry for crashing, I don't read the whole thread, so you might think the same as me already but I think those addictive drums don't fit the song so much. Have you ever considered using different drum samples?

I'll try using less processed drum preset... but programmed drums are programmed drums.

If anyone wants to give a try exporting drums, or even mixing, just ask for the files!

I know what you mean Jevo but Addictive Drums have that unique sound (especially in hi-frequencies) that's screaming "hey i'm addictive drums". Since this is a tribute album and the money's gonna be given to charity (if we could have the permission), some nice gentleman (oh I'm so kind today:) ) could process the drums with some good drum samples.

I know what you mean Jevo but Addictive Drums have that unique sound (especially in hi-frequencies) that's screaming "hey i'm addictive drums". Since this is a tribute album and the money's gonna be given to charity (if we could have the permission), some nice gentleman (oh I'm so kind today:) ) could process the drums with some good drum samples.

I also have SSD, and I can borrow my friend's studio and export some Superior 2.0.

But... SSD is not as good as I thought, and Superior screams "hey I'm superior drums" too... out this 3, I always choose AD...
The problem is that the preset i use is over processed as all modern drums nowadays, and it is the one I use for more aggressive sounds. Probably i should have tweaked it a bit to get a better tone according to the song.

Drummers are welcome!

There is another option... Voxengo Drum Service. 1 track = 59 $
http://www.voxengo.com/drumservice/

I agree with 88mph on the "Hey I'm addictive drums" thing, and I personally don't think they sound bad for the song, but they do feel a bit too mechanical, and I know programmed drums are programmed drums but I've heard programmed drums that sound a bit more "lively", I know it can be done. Like I said before, tried humanizing it a bit to see if that helps? I have Addictive drums too (don't have SSD or S2.0 or anything else) and manually changing the velocities of hits really helped my drums get a bit more to life on my band's demo.

If maybe 88mph wouldn't help by using another sampler, I could give it a shot at humanizing the midi a bit, it's an annoying job but I could do it. I also don't know if there's any way in a midi editor to do it automatically, I do it all manual haha