GMD Poll: Judas Priest’s Discography Ranked

Just got through Nostradamus. What the fuck were they thinking, album starts with one of their career-worsts but actually has a lot of good stuff buried in it. Sands of Time/Pestilence and Plague was particularly badass. New Beginnings was kind of weird and unexpected, I swear the first minute and a half sounds like Cocteau Twins or something. Still really overlong, dry production, some of the vocal lines are phoned-in, but this isn't striking me as a bad album, even though it will stay at the bottom of my list unless Redeemer of Souls beats it. Granted, if I listened to the album regularly I'd probably get sick of it really quick.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Yeah, I think I'm not even going to bother re-listening to Demolition and Jugulator just out of principle because I know they are straight fucking trash and I like seeing Autismoboy get angry.

Reactions: CiG
Just got through Nostradamus. What the fuck were they thinking, album starts with one of their career-worsts but actually has a lot of good stuff buried in it. Sands of Time/Pestilence and Plague was particularly badass. New Beginnings was kind of weird and unexpected, I swear the first minute and a half sounds like Cocteau Twins or something. Still really overlong, dry production, some of the vocal lines are phoned-in, but this isn't striking me as a bad album, even though it will stay at the bottom of my list unless Redeemer of Souls beats it. Granted, if I listened to the album regularly I'd probably get sick of it really quick.
What about Prophecy? That's easily one of the strongest on it in my view.

If it looks like shit, sounds like shit, smells like shit, it's shit mate.

If it sounds good to you, it's bitchin'. if it sounds bad to you, it's shit.

News flash dude: Opinions are subjective. Stop being wishy washy with this shit.

You really think your standard Judas Priest fan likes Demolition and Jugulator?

Define a 'standard' Judas Priest fan first

Yeah, I think I'm not even going to bother re-listening to Demolition and Jugulator just out of principle because I know they are straight fucking trash and I like seeing Autismoboy get angry.

This is like me saying:

Yeah, I think I'm not even going to bother re-listening to Mystification and The Deluge just out of principle because I know they are straight fucking trash and I like seeing Yoda et al get angry.

One is acceptable, the other isn't...both for really arbitrary reasons

Last edited:
The in crowd presence is strong in this thread

I'm starting to think in-crowd = dislikes obviously, blatantly crap music by now.

HA. No, not really. There's a light industrial tinge, but the similarities end there. None of Manson's real trademarks manifest themselves.

Thank Christ for Judas Priest in that case.

If it sounds good to you, it's bitchin'. if it sounds bad to you, it's shit.

News flash dude: Opinions are subjective. Stop being wishy washy with this shit.

How is that a news flash when you say the same tired old shit every five minutes?

Oh really? Musical opinions are subjective? I had no fucking clue. Thanks for the education you fucking idiot.

What about Prophecy? That's easily one of the strongest on it in my view.

That's what I meant by "starts with", not just the intro track. Sounds really robotic/metal-uncanny-valley/Damien Storm to me.

You really think your standard Judas Priest fan likes Demolition and Jugulator?

My dad has been into Priest since British Steel and his favorite albums are Painkiller and the Ripper-era ones. I won't pretend he's "standard" though.

my dad's been into them since stained class and painkiller is his fav these days too, he's really moved away from old school stuff though.

Let's face it, old people like heavy chuggy shit with scooped guitar tones and grooves, "I was born in the wrong generation" kids are the only ones that fetishize a given artist's early works.

I mean, John Fucking Arch's favorite newer band is Godsmack or something.

idk, my grandad fetishised little richard, tina turner, gustav mahler and dirty rugby/army songs mostly. and my mum equally loves pre-LOAD metallica, early sabbath, dark tranquillity, the prodigy, whatever the fuck. my dad definitely has a bias against all things he perceives as dated though, i think part of it is he's not a nostalgic person at all and probably didn't enjoy his childhood very much. he's made a clean break from his upbringing in a number of ways.

Let's face it, old people like heavy chuggy shit with scooped guitar tones and grooves, "I was born in the wrong generation" kids are the only ones that fetishize a given artist's early works.

I mean, John Fucking Arch's favorite newer band is Godsmack or something.
Not always, though I do love it if I feel it's done right. Godsmack are trash though.

Listening to Priest's discography chronologically. So much fun... until you get to Turbo. It's been a long time since I actually listened to Turbo and Ram it Down start to finish. Usually I just go to the tracks I know I like. However, there are so many shit tracks. Turbo barely saves itself with three excellent tracks (Turbo Lover, Out in the Cold, and Reckless). Ram it Down's highs aren't quite as high and it's longer making for a rough, rough, listen.

As for Point of Entry, it's just mediocre from start to finish with a few shit tracks sandwiched on Side B (You Say Yes, All the Way). The only Priest album without a single standout track.

On the positive side, British Steel is stronger than I remember. It's not the masterpiece that the mainstream media makes it out to be, but every song is at least solid, there are a number of legit classics, and there's a lot of fresh ideas on it.

At least I get to listen to Painkiller before suffering through two hours of Ripper Owens albums :yuk:

Reactions: zerostatic
I also noticed that Point of Entry has a lot of shitty tracks. Turning Circles, You Say Yes, and All the Way must be like top 5 worst JP tracks ever. Ram it Down remedies itself with the inclusion of Blood Red Skies which is a godly track.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd