In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Again you're rating music just by the singer lines.

First question: wouldn't you feel more comfortable listening to U2 or Beyoncé?

Second Question: tell me whats so different in Anders vocal melodies between Take This Life and any song from TJR to Clayman.

Third. This is not a question. If you take the music pulling out the vocals, you have than, of course, almost everything they do prior to R2R is better than SC. Going further, just talking about the music, SC is the worst album they've ever done.

Fourth. Of course, if everything you say you're gonna deal with like they're true facts, then I will do the same when talking to you.

Edit: talking about elitism, do you recognise this?
I remember it, but I'm not mocking people for their music tastes. That's like the lamest shit ever, and only shows how small those world is regarding music.

I hate U2 (I like Vertigo and Ordinary Love though), and Beyoncé is boring to me, though Destiny's Child had listenable stuff. Beyoncé is too much of a nice diva. I like Gaga more, she's more extreme and her music is more electronic-heavy, while Beyoncé is "just pop". Anyway, I coudln't specifically say why I like heavier songs. I'm always at a loss when people ask me what music do I like. If I say metal or rock they might assume I'm some kind of metal-head or Rolling Stones lover. I pretty much like everything in metal as long as they can keep the vocals melodic (and not annoying), and as long as they don't go overboard with the instruments. I don't find beauty in listening to bands like Meshuggah. Probably Moonshield and Stand Ablaze are the songs which are still on the "great" side, despite both of them are quite hard to sing along with if you don't have the lyrics in front of you. December Flower on the other hand is a great example of a song I'd probably call cool if Anders had called a sick day for its' recording session. Not only he does nothing positive on that song, he actually annoys me to the point I can't listen to the song.

Take This Life has a very nice melody, and the way Anders switches up his singing just gives me the chills. Not to mention with this singing style I can actually hear and feel EMOTIONS. Like holy shit, their singer is not a robot! Also, the part with "Take this life, I'm right here" clicks with everyone, immediately. Even if you could not hear the rest of the lyrics, it stimulates your brain, you picture yourself somewhere (in the rain, middle of an empty field, wherever) with feeling powerless, and giving the decision over your life in someone else's hand. The tempo of the song also keeps you on your feet, very energetic.
Now, back to December Flower. If I could only hear the instrumental part I'd say a good song - though there's a part where they screw up the vibe for me -, but Anders is just there to be like "ahassacgdsacsanvsdasvasavbsam". Sure, for the people who are in love with that genre, it must be enjoyable, but not for me. Can I say I guarantee I'm in the majority with that opinion from current IF fans? I'm gonna say it.

For the third one, you are probably right. What's your point? It's not a secret they switched into a vocal-oriented music.

Okay, I think, I think, I think, I think... I thought it's pretty clear without these that I was expressing MY opinion.

I don't know what the most of the "current" In Flames fans think about their old albums, as I can't know what they think about the new album. But maybe you're smarter or maybe you did a survey (talking with close friends doesn't count as majority opinion, nor talking in this thread or any other thread, they simply aren't representative).

But, to anyone who doesn't like anything prior to R2R, I won't call him a fan, because, if it was me, I wouldn't consider me as a fan, more as someone who likes some of their albums. But let me explain with a personal example. I'm gonna name some bands and tell my feelings, so you must understand.

-Deep Purple. I like four albums. I'm not a fan.
-Iron Maiden. I like all albums but 3 of them. So I consider me a fan.
-In Flames. I like all albums but the last. I'm a fan.
-Megadeth. I like from Rust In Peace to Cryptic Writings. I'm not a fan.
-Metallica. I like all albums until the Black one. I'm not a fan.

Do you get my point or need more examples? I'm gonna say that, as a fan, I listened to all the albums, even the ones I don't like, and I know about their songs (I mean titles, etc). And I don't like the albums just because I don't like the music, which means that Anders can sing like lady Gaga as long as he does an album that I like.

Edit: also, as I like some U2 songs I cannot say that I hate them.

I don't know what the most of the "current" In Flames fans think about their old albums, as I can't know what they think about the new album. But maybe you're smarter or maybe you did a survey (talking with close friends doesn't count as majority opinion, nor talking in this thread or any other thread, they simply aren't representative).

But, to anyone who doesn't like anything prior to R2R, I won't call him a fan, because, if it was me, I wouldn't consider me as a fan, more as someone who likes some of their albums. But let me explain with a personal example. I'm gonna name some bands and tell my feelings, so you must understand.

-Deep Purple. I like four albums. I'm not a fan.
-Iron Maiden. I like all albums but 3 of them. So I consider me a fan.
-In Flames. I like all albums but the last. I'm a fan.
-Megadeth. I like from Rust In Peace to Cryptic Writings. I'm not a fan.
-Metallica. I like all albums until the Black one. I'm not a fan.

Do you get my point or need more examples? I'm gonna say that, as a fan, I listened to all the albums, even the ones I don't like, and I know about their songs (I mean titles, etc). And I don't like the albums just because I don't like the music, which means that Anders can sing like lady Gaga as long as he does an album that I like.

Edit: also, as I like some U2 songs I cannot say that I hate them.
I get it, though I can't remember what did you want to connect this with.

As for me, I consider myself a fan; it's only LS I hate - sometimes I fast forward to the end of Behind Space though for the acustic part. soooooooo gooooooood.

It's cool that Bjorn is doing a solo on The Resistance's new EP. Seems like much of the animosity was between Anders/Jesper, with Bjorn stuck somewhat in the middle but siding more with Anders.

It's cool that Bjorn is doing a solo on The Resistance's new EP. Seems like much of the animosity was between Anders/Jesper, with Bjorn stuck somewhat in the middle but siding more with Anders.

Bjorn wins more money with Anders than with Jesper, so it's only natural for him, since he is a lazy person.

By the way, has someone had the chance to listen to the instrumental tracks? Or, what is the same, did someone buy the box with the vynils? I'm willing to listen to some parts without Anders voice.

Well, aren't you making songs you think are awesome, then play it live to your fans? Even if you make 100 awesome tracks, your set list is limited, so you have to make a selection. Let's start with what can you perform at all? 20 years of discography, some songs are bound to be unperformable, either for vocal reasons or because it sounds shit compared to the studio version - or after 20 years you facepalm that you ever gave your name for a few. Then yes, you have to take into account what the crowd like because you are playing for THEM. Not only that, but you have to consider first-timers as well. Sure, you might be bored with Take This Life or Cloud Connected, but you have no choice but play these for newcomers. This is 10 times more true for festivals, where chances are, people might only know your most famous hits from the new millenia, so you either get yourself booed by doing a 35/65 setlist, or please them with the hits. You can call this a sell-out, but that's what bands do at festivals*, and that's what me and you should do in their place as well, if you don't want to end up in a garage as our studio again.

I think the record album for fans vs play live for the fans have been discussed before. If some bands have no original ideas for what to do and just ask fans what they want to hear and make that, good for them.

As for CoF, I can't say much, I dig their work; not sure what they do so well but it works. And no, I did not hear Dani live, I was talking about their studio work, and he definetly screams there. A lot. It's actually 70% of what he is doing, so yeah. On Thornography he sings though; people must've flipped out when it was released. :D

* Edit: WOW, SORRY, I FORGOT ABOUT MY ASTERIX! Yeah, I just wanted to add a funny story where NIN got angry (because Trent is a whuss) for the festival organizers so they deliberately did some fucking retarded setlist with their slowest tracks and refused to play the higher tempo songs. Funnily enough, the crowd enjoyed it, haha.

And since I'm already editing, I also forgot to say that in song selection you have to consider which tracks do you feel are still relevant. IF has a lot of songs criticizing society, so most of them stood relevant, but for example the songs about stars and what not are surely not what makes Anders think "yes, I definetly have to sing this!". But I don't think a song like that was mentioned anyway, just wanted to add this as well.

You're not answering his challenge. Anders and the band repeatedly say that they don't care about fans and that they write music for themselves. But then they claim they won't play certain songs live because the fans don't react. They play other songs because certain fans do react. The reason is obviou$. Answer his question honestly.

Edit - by the way Slave (actually I will call you 'servant' it sounds more fitting), you really do have the worst taste in music I've ever seen on UM. If you want a show go to the fucking theater.

Hahaha thank you for the laughs Jester Slave.

Krofius, much more than 50% of IF fans know the song Colony.

At least here in the states. People lose their minds for it and go way crazier than for weaker, simple, unimaginative songs like Deliver Us.

Over here I've observed/heard at every show that people want to hear songs from everything up until ASOP. Everyone treats ASOP and on as "They kind of fell off after that."

Here what I've heard from countless people talking while waiting in line, standing around during changeovers, yelling it out in between songs and actually showing it as a crowd during the show that they would much rather want to hear System, Colony, Bullet Ride, Clayman, Moonshield, Gyroscope, Artifacts etc. than anything from ASOP, SOAPF and now Siren Charms. Just how it is over here. Metalheads here seem to like In Flames' best, while still digging some of the new stuff and making the effort to go just as crazy for it live.

No real In Flames fan talks about "I can't wait to see Mirror's Truth it's so sick" vs a song like Trigger, Pinball Map, Colony or Only for The Weak. Just doesn't happen. People just go along with it waiting for a better song to come on.

Once again the true fan bs. You literally just said if someone's favourite (live) song is TMT he's not a real fan. What kind of aberrated mentality is that? You are making some valid points but thats just plain stupid.

Echo, how do you know Björn is lazy?

You're not answering his challenge. Anders and the band repeatedly say that they don't care about fans and that they write music for themselves. But then they claim they won't play certain songs live because the fans don't react. They play other songs because certain fans do react. The reason is obviou$. Answer his question honestly.

Edit - by the way Slave (actually I will call you 'servant' it sounds more fitting), you really do have the worst taste in music I've ever seen on UM. If you want a show go to the fucking theater.

I wanted a show, went to an IF concert and I got a better show than expected. Get. Mad.

As for echo's point, I made my reasoning clear that bands can treat creating music and playing it live differently
the answer is "no" - cant add much more to that. One of the interviees i linkef touches on the topic of fan dissatisfaction.

I bet you didn't study lógica at highschool. So i will explain with an example.
I'm starting from two premises, first they do the músic they want without caring for fan reaction. Second, they do play the songs people want, not the songs the would like to play.
Now, for my example they go crazy and decide to do a brutal death album, I said they've come crazy. The album is entitled Refleshions from an Open Mind.
Then come fan reactions. Old fans don't like the álbum, they want melodeath. New fans don't like the álbum, they want catchy choruses. And brutal death fans ser them as posers so they won't buy the álbum.
Now comes de Refleshion world tour. What will they do? Play songs from the new album? Acording to your second proposition they won't. But, truth is they have to promote the album. Remember, is the Refleshion tour. Also the record company will like them to put the album live andthey must be willing to play new songs. But, acording to you, they will be playing songs from r2r to sc, being the last of those the one with most songs live.
Do you follow me? Again, think about it.
Next time I will tell you how is made the promotion from a new product

By the way, has someone had the chance to listen to the instrumental tracks? Or, what is the same, did someone buy the box with the vynils? I'm willing to listen to some parts without Anders voice.

Had them for a while. I can't rip them however.

The answer to the probably upcoming question is yes. It is better without the lyrics, however Paralyzed's quality and repeated pattern becomes more of a headache, so it is a bit of a mixed plate. Kinda wish there was The Chase and Become The Sky instrumentals, but oh well.

-

Nice to see Jesper speaking out about it. That English grammar though, don't they check their articles before posting?

Well lol, there's a difference between writing the music you want and not caring about fans. As a band you have to play the songs live that people want to hear.
I don't see the correlation you're trying to make that they would play more old songs live if they didn't care about their fans opinions? Which band chooses to play songs for the minority of the audience? I don't know any. I personally think IF should have some more old songs in their current setlist as well but if they feel that they get a bad reponse compared to a newer song then how can you blame them for choosing the song that more people like?

It's almost as if you are arguing that playing audience-preffered songs equals selling out.