KILLSWITCH ENGAGE

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Please post all questions, comments & anything related to this artist here.

Alive Or Just Breathing / The End Of Heartache

killswitch_alive.jpg
killswitch_heartache.jpg

The voice of Howard Jones on The End Of Heartache is simply stunning:OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

Anyone knows how was it tracked? Whic mic? Which pre?
And then? compression? other processing?

The Framus most likely

ok wait so the main amps on the "the end of the heartache" are a frammus amp and a peavey 5150???

i know i saw a pic of the bearded guy joel stroezhel or something in the mesa boogie catalog with a stilletto and i read somewhere he uses triple rectos in the studio. their sound sounds very vintagy and spongy and tight. i understand that they tune "spongy" to drop C most of time and use emg 85 PU and use a maxon 808 in front to smooth out but the amp character has to play a huge role. any more details as far what each guitarist used or what made the final cut?

Not 100% on this but here's an explanation,

Killswitch OFTEN use Boogie's live.
As far as I know ALWAYS use Maxon 808 infront of their amps.
Used Framus and 5150 on The End of Heartache (I assume Andy's decision)
Used Soldano SLO100 on As Daylight Dies

I think that's right...

hmm didn't sound like a 5150 but hell it sounded good. i guess it was the framus then. i'm guessing cobra.

they have such a unique "dry" sound. i always felt like it was a vintagey amp with high output pickups and a maxon to smooth out. whatever, the whole KSE thing just confuses me, i'm lost and frustrated. i'm just assuming that since i don't even like/have emg's i'll just butt out of the whole pondering of how they get their tone and worry about other things.

I'm a nerd and have these folders with saved guitar mag articles :)

Got one with KSE from total guitar (which I'm guessing is the one greyskull was on about)

But yeah it says

"We used two set-ups for each rhythm track. One of them was a Framus Dragon head going through a cab with Celestion 30s. The other was a Peavey 5150 through a VHT Pitbull cabinet. We used a Maxon OD808 pedal, which just boosts the pickup a little bit, makes it run hotter and lets the upper register sing a little bit more. The for the overdubs we used a Soldano and Marshall JCM 800. We both play Caparison guitars."

Obvs that may not be what made it to the final mix as Andy may have re-amped certain parts.
Although I think Adam was present for the mixing AND this article was quite some time after EOH came out so that little paragraph may all be correct.

I wana know what Guitars, pickups and amps were used for AOJB. I'm guessing its a Mesa triple rec but i'm not sure about pickups - especially as all the pics from that time showed joel with a PRS without EMG's and Adam (who I duno if he even played rhythms on that album) with a Strat with a stacked humbucker.
Also I interested if anything was reamped as the demos on the bonus AOJB cd have a pretty similar guitar tone to the final recordings.

Speaking of triple recs ive found a place selling a triple recto head AND cab second hand £1,950 :| BARGIN! Thats like a free cab. Shame im missing about £650!!! :erk: :erk: :erk: :erk: :( *crys*

bumpety bump bump

i'm having no luck finding out the exact pickup adam used to use in his strat or what guitar n pickup was used on AOJB

:cry:

any ideas? :erk:

JB Jr, from what I remember. That or a hot rails - see if you can find an old picture of the minibucker he had in the bridge. If it has rails, you know which one it is. I know it was a Duncan, though.