KILLSWITCH ENGAGE

I don't think the guitars for any of their albums have been reamped...as far as I know, it was all Adam D's miking and tone-dialing. That being said, I don't think the preamp used for a DI is really that substantial of a part of the final tone you hear, as long as it's something of decent quality. New strings will make a bigger difference than the choice of preamp.

I don't think the guitars for any of their albums have been reamped...as far as I know, it was all Adam D's miking and tone-dialing. That being said, I don't think the preamp used for a DI is really that substantial of a part of the final tone you hear, as long as it's something of decent quality. New strings will make a bigger difference than the choice of preamp.

Hopefully Andy can let us know about the guitars. I love there tone and use as a reference all the time.

hopefully adam d leaves the mixing to andy this time. i was not a fan of the last record. neither songwise or soundwise. i mean there were a few good songs but the album doesn't hold a candle to EOH or especially to AOJB. AOJB is a straight up masterpiece.

I can't agree with you. I think As Daylight Dies is a masterpiece, both songwise and soundwise! The production is sick, it's so great.
End Of Heartache sounds boring compared to ADD, but EOH has more songs that are good. But I still prefer the latest record, ADD, cause it sounds much better and Howard sings better.

For the "The End Of Heartache" record, they used Framus Dragon and Peavey 5150, except for the song "Rose of Sharyn" - they used Cobra instead of Dragon.
Source for this? Magazines/interviews. You can see it on Wikipedia too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Dutkiewicz

Is there any reliable info about what they used on "As Daylight Dies"?
I don't know if they used 5150 or Soldano, but I can guarantee one thing, Framus Cobra was used! I'm 100% sure. But if they used more than that amp, I don't know.

I read in an interview with Adam D that there was only double-tracking on ADD, because they "really killed themselves" trying to get the (quad-tracked) tone on TEOH and wanted to have a much more relaxed/natural time tracking ADD. I read in the same interview that the main amp sound used was a modded Soldano SLO previously owned by George Lynch from Dokken, that Joel bought on eBay. Other than that, they also used (to some degree) a 5150 and a Triple Rec for heavy tones, and a Fender Twin for the cleans.

I read in an interview with Adam D that there was only double-tracking on ADD, because they "really killed themselves" trying to get the (quad-tracked) tone on TEOH and wanted to have a much more relaxed/natural time tracking ADD. I read in the same interview that the main amp sound used was a modded Soldano SLO previously owned by George Lynch from Dokken, that Joel bought on eBay. Other than that, they also used (to some degree) a 5150 and a Triple Rec for heavy tones, and a Fender Twin for the cleans.
What interview? Do you have it somewhere? I would really to see it! :)

Maybe they had a modded Soldano SLO? But imo, the ADD really sounds like Framus Cobra, and the Framus Cobra sounds ADD.
Even the clean sounds on ADD sounds like the Cobra.

Framus Cobra is a modified Soldano SLO...

You're right dudes. Found a interview with Adam where he says this:
"For amplifiers we used some Mesa/Boogie Triple [Rectifiers] and the Soldano SLO head. For cabinets we always used Mesa/Boogie straights with Vintage 30’s in them. And for guitar tone, you can’t go wrong with the idiot setup – the [Shure SM] 57 through a decent mic-preamp."
http://www.guitarmessenger.com/sites/interviews/12-AdamD/1.html

No 5150, no Framus, just Soldano and MESA.

I think the Cobra is a good "copy" of that sound.