KILLSWITCH ENGAGE

I thought that the 5150 was a Soldano copy

I don't think the cobra is a copy of anything
I've talked with a amptech, and I told him that my Cobra sounded like MESA Recto / Soldano SLO (not really but something like them), and he said that that's not strange at all. Because Framus Cobra is strong based on the Soldano SLO with a few modifications, but different tubes (el34 instead of 6l6gc).
The dist is identical in Cobra, SLO and Rectifier. (not how it actually sounds but how it's made) If you have much knowledge about how amps are made, you can just look at the circuit schemes. So you call these three amps as a "group" or "family".
The 5150 reminds of these three very much in the beginning, but later in the circuit it's really different. Peavey has copied some of the circuit but not the whole.

I have never tried a SLO but this tech guy says that an original SLO is not as good as the Cobra for metal. Because the SLO hasn't any bass cut/rolloff before the preamp. Cobra hasn't so much either, but it's better at that point.
The more bass you cut before the dist, the tighter it sounds. ENGL is extreme at this point (too tight in my opinion).
That's why so many modify their SLO:s to get better metal sound.

(by the way, ENGL is completely different to these amps, completely other circuit)

looking back on this... this is the most confusing thead. so many "i think" "i thought" "wait, i thought" "wait, but" "wait, so"

basically the only thing that is for certain is that the 5150 was on EOH. as for the second amp, it's up in the air. and no one still knows if andy reamped it.

looking back on this... this is the most confusing thead. so many "i think" "i thought" "wait, i thought" "wait, but" "wait, so"

basically the only thing that is for certain is that the 5150 was on EOH. as for the second amp, it's up in the air. and no one still knows if andy reamped it.
EoH was Peavey 5150 and Framus Dragon.

ADD was MESA Boogie Triple Rectifier and Soldano SLO.

I don't "think" that, that is info from the Adam and the other guys.

The guy on Harmony Central's name was "guitarman" something. He took lessons from Joel and has bought guitars and amps from Joel. He said the powerball made it on one track for sure. As to what it was used for like I said earlier who knows, but I would imagine he is telling the considering how he is friends with Joel and has owned a lot of Joel's equipment. Other than that yeah it was all Triple Rec and Soldano which rules.

once again. nothing but confusion. joel said this adam said this blah blah

bototm line is the only guy that knows is andy. all we know officially is that the soldano didn't make the final cut. if we were to go on assumptions based on all the threads so far there should also be the possibility of a jcm 800 900 2000 3000 4000 dsl tsl jpm ada mp1 5150 6505 twin reverb lone star death star powerball fireball dodgeball single rec dual rec triple rec krankenstein revoltion every amp ever made basically is a candidate for being on the killswitch record... according to joel and adam of course:)

hmmmmmm I would figure they would know what was on their own record.....
*edit* totally didnt mean that in a dick head manner. meant among all thats been said surely some of this would be correct.

hmmmmmm I would figure they would know what was on their own record.....
*edit* totally didnt mean that in a dick head manner. meant among all thats been said surely some of this would be correct.

yeah same here not trying to be a dick except i'm just saying often the artists confuse things. for all anyone knows they could have tracked guitars at zing and sent andy the stuff they recorded plus dry tracks and at the end it's in the hands of the mixer with consensus from the band of course.

once again. nothing but confusion. joel said this adam said this blah blah

bototm line is the only guy that knows is andy. all we know officially is that the soldano didn't make the final cut. if we were to go on assumptions based on all the threads so far there should also be the possibility of a jcm 800 900 2000 3000 4000 dsl tsl jpm ada mp1 5150 6505 twin reverb lone star death star powerball fireball dodgeball single rec dual rec triple rec krankenstein revoltion every amp ever made basically is a candidate for being on the killswitch record... according to joel and adam of course:)
Andy has nothing to do with ADD.

Adam was the producer and mix engineer (?) so I think he knows what he's talking about.

"For amplifiers we used some Mesa/Boogie Triple [Rectifiers] and the Soldano SLO head. "

I saw a video with Adam at Sneap's place allegedly "mixing" the album. Was Adam there for the mix at any time or was that just like him stopping by once and they happened to film it. If he was there, wouldn't he know? I mean he's no slouch with recording so I'm sure he kinda knows the deal, and as I read in a guitar mag he said 5150 and Pitbull cab, and Framus dragon through a mesa cab or something along those lines,( but definitely those heads)..... I'm speaking of End of Heartache now. Plus their emg 85 bridge loaded guits.. Would Sneap STILL reamp? I',m sure D's recorded tones didn't suck that bad.

Any info on the Framus Cobra? (why was it usde on just one song? (Rose of Sharyn). Or is this bullshit?

Obviously I can't get their tone as I'm not playing nor am I using the exact recording chain.

I'd like to know how Adam or Andy or whoever did the guitars delt with the presence knob on the Cobra. It almost seems as though it's constantly on 10 but as you crank the amp turning the presence up sounds ok and makes it really crunchy (like how some people crank the presence on the 5150).

I'd like to know how Adam or Andy or whoever did the guitars delt with the presence knob on the Cobra. It almost seems as though it's constantly on 10 but as you crank the amp turning the presence up sounds ok and makes it really crunchy (like how some people crank the presence on the 5150).

Don't they have modded versions of framus's? my mate got same mod in his framus(think its the tubes), and it sounds awesome!

I find it amazing how so many amps can end up sounding the same.
Yesterday a mate and I A/B his recording tone with EOH and we got it 95% close. All this with a Recto and a Boss SD-1 pedal. Some post EQ made everything perfect and low and behold the tone was almost exactly the same :S
I'll post some clips when I get them off him :)
Cheers

If it was the same clip that Rick sent to me, then I'm sorry to say Chris, but the tone was way off the mark.

I agree that many amps can be made to sound quite similar when recording, though.

Hey Ermz. I don't know if Rick changed his settings SINCE we A/B with EOH (Cause I know he wrote the settings we first got down) but the settings we used to A/B EOH were VERY close, even Matt was with us and he said it was VERY close bar a little mud :S so yeah :p

Found these pictures from Adam D's side project - may be of use to some of you guys.

Adam%20D%20Settings.jpeg

Adam%20D%20Settings%202.jpeg

Also just noticed a tiny mistake on a fill on Numbered Days at around 3:14, one snare hit is a bit out of time haha........